Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2018, 11:07   #1
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Default JLR suffering from Diesel over reliance

The 90% production bias in favour of diesel cars is beginning to bite - £90 million losses in first quarter for JLR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46045334

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 11:29   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Oh dear this will have implications.
Old 31st October 2018, 11:31   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

That will affect my old employer as they do a lot for JLR....
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 11:45   #4
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Can be difficult to turn things around when they've spent so heavily in diesels. It'll take time to bring out the electric models.

They've had a very good run so it can be hard to keep that going year in year out. They still have revenues of £5.6bn.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 11:46   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

They wont be the last of the legacy auto makers to be in difficulty. The next two to three years will see huge upheaval in that industry. Jaguar land Rover has said all their models will be "committed to electrification" by 2020.
I hope Tata motors has deep pockets to bankroll all the new technology needed to make this happen in such a small time frame.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 14:12   #6
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

It’s an old adage, the bigger you are the harder you fall.

I worked in the motor trade through the 70’s & 80’s latterly in a Jaguar franchise and when you see all these huge showrooms today it makes you wonder how they manage to survive.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 21:31   #7
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Are their petrol offerings no good, then? I'm surprised they haven't seen the writing on the wall for new diesels and sourced/ engineered decent petrol alternatives. Or is everyone in the large car market after petrol hybrids now? I wouldn't have a modern diesel, with Blu and DPFs, they have lost their advantage over petrol. I'll run my old pre-DPF oil burner until either it breaks badly or additonal anti-pollution legislation/taxation renders it uneconomic.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 06:12   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

JLR are investing hundreds of millions in electric cars and a state of the art research and development facility in Coventry. Half of the city has had its roads dug up to put the extra power cables down to fed the plant. They have suffered like many manufacturers due to the government being "unclear" about taxes on diesel cars in future and everyone is jumping to petrol.
A friend of mine bought a Ford S Max brand new, he was offered a fully loaded TDCi for the same price as a basic S Max petrol. He chose the petrol car.
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...ables-12887873

Last edited by coab; 1st November 2018 at 06:15..
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 07:06   #9
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

There are dealers offering huge discounts on anything with a Diesel engine at the moment. I know of one who was offering 35% off a new Focus and free servicing for the time the new owner owned the car .

The problem is the factories cant turn there manufacturing around that quickly, new models take years to go from drawing board to showroom and they were set up with a bias on diesel engine manufacturing. I bet if you went into a JLR showroom and wanted to order a new petrol powered vehicle you would be given a long delivery date. You only have to look at the used stock in there dealerships, 95% of it is Diesel powered.

The sad part is the new petrol engines are so efficient that there mpg is almost as good as the diesels without the threat of huge toad tax charges looming.

JLR will not be the only one suffering, what about VW group? They have a huge fine to pay and a lot of what they were producing up until last year was Diesel powered.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2018, 09:48   #10
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
There are dealers offering huge discounts on anything with a Diesel engine at the moment. I know of one who was offering 35% off a new Focus and free servicing for the time the new owner owned the car .

The problem is the factories cant turn there manufacturing around that quickly, new models take years to go from drawing board to showroom and they were set up with a bias on diesel engine manufacturing. I bet if you went into a JLR showroom and wanted to order a new petrol powered vehicle you would be given a long delivery date. You only have to look at the used stock in there dealerships, 95% of it is Diesel powered.

The sad part is the new petrol engines are so efficient that there mpg is almost as good as the diesels without the threat of huge toad tax charges looming.

JLR will not be the only one suffering, what about VW group? They have a huge fine to pay and a lot of what they were producing up until last year was Diesel powered.

One of my neighbours bought a new...ish Audi A4 diesel a few weeks ago and offered the dealer £1800 below list price and he got it without any trouble at all.

With all the local authorities in the country starting the government backed "joint clean air plans" to combat pollution I should imagine the prices will fall even further.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote