Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18th March 2018, 13:07   #141
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Many UK financial firms are also moving operations to Europe to ensure they can still work with European clients..and millions of pounds of EU money is passing through London.

The financial services market may well become fragmented in the Brexit process, costs will rise however, these will simply be paid by customers as usual, hence we have pension pots subject to 100 hidden charges.

Our government will be thinking very carefully how they can protect the financial services sector, it's a major part of our economy.
It certainly is - it employs 1.4 million people - and yes - those departments within U.K. based firms that trade within the EU - WILL have to move those Departments to a new EU base. That is a given.

However the estimates I have seen number the jobs that will move across the channel is in the region of 75,000. Which is not exactly a significant issue given the GLOBAL FINANCIAL SERVICES expertise of the U.K. employs 1.4 million as I have previously said.

If we had remained in the EU and sufferered their planned FTT - then an awful lot of those 1.4 million jobs would have moved to places like New York and the up and coming centres like Singapore.

The reason WHY “the Transit” factor is important and should NEVER be forgotten is that on many occasions the EU has destroyed jobs and the prospect of jobs in member States by its actions.

Those that voted Leave did not do so on a whim or because they were all “delusional old men” !!! - they did so because their experience of the EU is anything but good. And we are not alone - increasingly the youth of countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece and several of the other southern nations are voting for anti-establishment anti-EU parties.

The recent Italian elections demonstrated this trend.

The other issue is the problem the EU has with its budget deficit without the UK’s ŁBillions - only 14 of the 27 have said they would be prepared to contribute more to keep the EU Gravy Train on its desired track.

The other half has said “nothing doing because we want to see what we will be getting for our existing payments in the light of a significant EU member leaving!!

So this actually places a fair bit of pressure on the EU to negotiate sensibly rather than their displaying their normal hubris.

Interesting that the EU have backed down on their ridiculous demand that the U.K. not be allowed to negotiate and sign trade deals during any Transition Period.

Let’s hope “common sense” becomes increasingly LESS RARE - amongst those on the EU side of the negotiation table.
Old 19th March 2018, 12:14   #142
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Further to the EU agreeing UK can seek global free trade deals following the Article 50 Leave date and during any 'transition' date, they have now agreed that the final transition date will be December 2020. Yippeee! An actual and final extrication from this strangle hold! Now we can all work together with no if, buts, or maybes!
Old 19th March 2018, 12:24   #143
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Further to the EU agreeing UK can seek global free trade deals following the Article 50 Leave date and during any 'transition' date, they have now agreed that the final transition date will be December 2020. Yippeee! An actual and final extrication from this strangle hold! Now we can all work together with no if, buts, or maybes!
No ifs buts or maybe’s

I certainly do hope so.

It’s happening, it’s what the majority voted for, the negotiations are now forging ahead.

Time to accept reality and ALL OF US work together for the common good. Moaning that the result was not what was wanted by some individuals is pointless.

Time to move on.
Old 19th March 2018, 14:02   #144
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well chaps before you break out the Rioja I can tell you we have all been sold down the river by the Brexit negotiating team leaving the UK paying in to the EU until 2064..actually nothing has been agreed apart from to defer the negotiations for political reasons..

As I outlined earlier, it would have been better to have put more thought in to article 50 i.e set a two year extension via art 50..

Complete U turn on fisheries and immigration as couple of examples..no trade deal until end of transition boloney..

Last edited by rustymotor; 19th March 2018 at 14:08..
Old 19th March 2018, 15:40   #145
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

At last Brexit is starting to make more sense - at least in Northern Ireland!

Draft plans for the UK’s withdrawal from the EU have been agreed, including a “backstop position” allowing Northern Ireland to effectively remain part of the single market.

Brexit Secretary David Davis and the EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier held a joint press conference in Brussels on Monday.

Under the controversial arrangements - to be put in place if the UK fails to come forward with a better solution - Northern Ireland would continue to be considered “part of the customs territory of the Union”, effectively creating a customs border along the Irish Sea.

Mr Barnier confirmed: “The backstop will apply unless and until another solution is found.”
Old 19th March 2018, 18:11   #146
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I can see a united Ireland on the horizon. Gibraltar will probably be sacrificed later on. At the end of the day what will have been achieved by Brexit? Will we be in a better position, will we all come together and celibrate the achievements of Brexit?
Old 19th March 2018, 18:58   #147
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I can see a united Ireland on the horizon. Gibraltar will probably be sacrificed later on. At the end of the day what will have been achieved by Brexit? Will we be in a better position, will we all come together and celibrate the achievements of Brexit?
Well I doubt very much you would see the bright side of anything to do with Brexit.

We have a sensible backstop agreement re the Eire/NI issue that as the term “backstop” suggests will be the default position if a better option cannot be found. To be honest - my thoughts are that this “back-stop” option is not a bad one - Andora is not an accurate analogy - but something along those lines could be hugely beneficial to NI.

Gibraltar is another serious issue that needs resolving - Gibraltar’s status is different to NI being a British Overseas Territory - however, like NI Gibraltar also has another EU nation laying claim to ownership - tho Eire’s current government seems less antagonistic than Spain.

But Gibraltar could benefit from a similar “backstop” agreement.

The thing I have learnt about negotiation - having had to do a fair bit in my time - is that it only works if both sides accept that the best overall solution cannot possibly mean that both sides get everything that they want.

Children expect that - Grownups are more realistic.
Old 19th March 2018, 19:57   #148
mbev51
Banned

Removed

As some commentators have said, this 'deal' was available a year ago. The problem is May has to sell the concessions to her party. I would be happy to see a united Ireland's, half my relatives came from there.
Old 19th March 2018, 19:59   #149
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

Gibraltar is another serious issue that needs resolving - Gibraltar’s status is different to NI being a British Overseas Territory - however, like NI Gibraltar also has another EU nation laying claim to ownership - tho Eire’s current government seems less antagonistic than Spain.
Your understanding is quite a bit out of date, I'm afraid. The Republic of Ireland does not lay claim to ownership of the territory of Northern Ireland. Relinquishing this long-standing claim was a generous, forward-thinking and internationalist move on the part of Irish citizens as part of their overwhelming vote in favour of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

Sadly, incomplete knowledge of fundamental facts such as this, and inability/unwillingness to understand the wider implications of this entire exercise outside of one's narrower horizons, seems to be a characteristic of the most enthusiastic Brexit cheerleaders.
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 19th March 2018, 20:12   #150
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I'm afraid the agenda is being dictated by the EU, the U.K. Is slowly moving to accepting what is being offered.
Closed Thread