Notices

Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2018, 20:25   #151
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Your understanding is quite a bit out of date, I'm afraid. The Republic of Ireland does not lay claim to ownership of the territory of Northern Ireland. Relinquishing this long-standing claim was a generous, forward-thinking and internationalist move on the part of Irish citizens as part of their overwhelming vote in favour of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

Sadly, incomplete knowledge of fundamental facts such as this, and inability/unwillingness to understand the wider implications of this entire exercise outside of one's narrower horizons, seems to be a characteristic of the most enthusiastic Brexit cheerleaders.
Apologies for the inference of my words - it would have been more accurate to have said “claim” in the past tense re Eire and NI. I think we can all agree that The Troubles was very much over a United Ireland.

But I cannot accept what you say about the supporters of Brexit. If anything - what you say supports what I do. The Agreement reached re NI and Eire underlines very clearly that in any negotiation both sides have to compromise.

The agreement that has given peace a chance in NI a chance was possible partly because Eire bravely gave up its desire for a United Ireland.

Again my apologies for useing the present tense when I should have used the past tense - no excuse other than it’s been a long day - but I do actually feel that the point you make supports the one I make re the need for “grown up thinking”.
Old 19th March 2018, 20:30   #152
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I'm afraid the agenda is being dictated by the EU, the U.K. Is slowly moving to accepting what is being offered.
You don’t give up do you still ignoring reality - the fact that the EU backed down over the U.K. being allowed to negotiate and sign trade deals during the transition period still not registered with you yet?
Old 19th March 2018, 21:34   #153
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Yes it has registered, no confidence that the 'new' markets will replace the EU single market. I have zero confidence in any of the Brexiteers. The conditions tagged on to these future trade deals concerns me. I believe our balance of payments will get worse, some people will make a fortune at the expense of the U.K. working person. Meanwhile the Nhs crumbles. Im still in NZ, it costs 45nz$ just to see a gp.

The 52% who voted for Brexit will, I believe, be eroded over time due to a number of reasons, how the politicians deal with it, is difficult to
predict.
Old 19th March 2018, 21:50   #154
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Yes it has registered, no confidence that the 'new' markets will replace the EU single market. I have zero confidence in any of the Brexiteers. The conditions tagged on to these future trade deals concerns me. I believe our balance of payments will get worse, some people will make a fortune at the expense of the U.K. working person. Meanwhile the Nhs crumbles. Im still in NZ, it costs 45nz$ just to see a gp.

The 52% who voted for Brexit will, I believe, be eroded over time due to a number of reasons, how the politicians deal with it, is difficult to
predict.
It costs YOU 45nz$ because as a Brit you are not able to claim anything back. NZ nationals are able to do this - as I understand it under their PHARMAC provisions.

It’s a contentious view given the founding principle of our NHS that it be Free at the Point of Delivery - but if we had to pay a similar fee for Primary Care then the abuse of the NHS by way of missed appointments and “health Tourism” would be dramatically curtailed.

This concept has merit I would suggest.

Interesting that the French system is similar to the NZ one you cite.

Whilst I sincerely hope you didn’t need to see a GP in NZ for anything serious - do you not think it a fairer system that you as a visitor to that Country and (I assume) are not contributing to its health care system - have to pay for health care?

Last edited by Darcydog; 19th March 2018 at 21:53..
Old 19th March 2018, 22:09   #155
mbev51
Banned

Removed

It's NZ nationals that have to pay. My mother in law voted out so that the £350m could be used to save the NHS.
Old 20th March 2018, 05:16   #156
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
It's NZ nationals that have to pay. My mother in law voted out so that the £350m could be used to save the NHS.
Yes - everyone in NZ has to pay for the appt - but NZ nationals can claim it back - Health tourists cannot.

As I say - I believe this system has merit.

Especially as many health care systems in the world - most of Europe for a start - have a similar system.

Sensible Lady your Mil - and the writing on the bus never ever suggested that the whole sum was to be used for the NHS

But I am sure you don’t want to be confused by the facts - your mind is made up!
Old 20th March 2018, 06:06   #157
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
You have read a lot into what I said! My 90 yr old mother in law was taking in by that carefully crafted statement.

Both the funding of the NHS and the prevention of health tourism is within the competence of the government.
Yes it is, very true statement..however, the politicians such as Gove and Johnson did tell folk the money saved after Brexit would be available for the NHS it's a fact!

Don't be side lined by the NHS comments it's another blind alley to detract from the reality, listen to the BBC head lines yesterday, Brexit is done deal total BS.
Old 20th March 2018, 07:21   #158
mbev51
Banned

Removed

The Tory parliamentary party may not be able to hold the line on the Brexit transition deal. If May cannot hold her party together on this in all lightlyhood, the Brexiteers will have their 'hard Brexit'. In some ways I think this is the only way to exorcise the beast.
Old 20th March 2018, 09:25   #159
Darcydog
This is my second home

And of course the Remain Campaign was a model of honesty and integrity with their “Project Fear!”
Old 20th March 2018, 09:42   #160
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
And of course the Remain Campaign was a model of honesty and integrity with their “Project Fear!”

Think it was project Dear
Closed Thread