Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2018, 18:45   #1
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Default How to replace battery lead?

I've been having a problem with the battery connections on my 2002 CDT Tourer. Corrosion kept on building up on the positive terminal, and I was finding it increasingly difficult to tighten the connection such that it didn't move about. I bought a couple of little shims to go over the battery posts but in the process of trying to connect the positive, something has sheared off in the connection assembly and it can no longer be tightened. Looking at it, it's clear that it's quite badly eroded.

So, I need a new battery cable, or cables. Are these easy enough to fit, such that a non-technical numpty could do it, or it something that I'd need to leave to a garage? I see that two cables come from the connector, one going straightforwardly to a fuse box, but the other going to somewhere which looks rather inaccessible (where?) at the front of the engine.

I can probably get hold of the requisite cable from a breakers, but I'm wondering if there is some cheap replacement I can buy new which works (I don't want one where the looseness problem has already started occurring if I can avoid it).
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 19:48   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

---Buy a couple of these. Cheap and easy to fit.

Cut the old end off.--Cut back the insulation a bit and bolt on one of these.

That long cable you see goes to the starter motor.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 19:54   #3
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

So can both the cables which end up at the positive connector fit into one of these?
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 20:08   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The ends come in different sizes as the battery pillars are different.

You just need to make sure you have enough slack in the cable and the ends will reach when fitted.

Treat the battery pillars gently. The reason you have had corrosion is acid is leaking up out of the battery around the pillars. The seal around them can easily be broken by rough treatment.

One of the forum members said to fit the connectors by hitting them with a rubber mallet.--

NEVER, NEVER hit them. Push them down gently at the same time moving the connector back and forward just a few degrees. This will mate the two surfaces together and give the best electrical connection possible.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote