Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2018, 18:49   #11
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Be careful of people offering to clone your existing transponder. From what i gather it will work initially but will go out of sync with the car and cease to work eventually. As already mentioned there are a few of our traders that have the correct equipment to code them properly and i'm sure one will be along soon enough to confirm.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 19:23   #12
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Slight misunderstanding as others have said. You can buy a key and remote but it will not start the car, only unlock it.

It appears you have a blade and remote that has now been paired to the body controller. As other have said you need the immobiliser portion sorting. Is what stops a theif doing this is difficulty - you must physically remove and connect to the immobiliser unit (ews) and prepare a virgin transponder. This will then allow the car to start. The transponder looks like an odd shaped piece of plastic nxp pcf7936aa?? as I recall but may be wrong check before buying.

There was a good guide from the states showing how to use an ak90 programmer to do this BEWARE this doesn't work for a 75 as the software isn't aware that rover even existed and used the BMW system. Similar tools exist that do ews editor but for the outlay - post the ews module to a trader.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 19:23   #13
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

So just plugging in a T4, which I believe is what my garage did this morning, will NOT succeed? You have to take off the EWS box (?) hidden on the driver's A post, plug in to a PC to code the transponder, then replace to get through the immobiliser?

Dave
Old 4th December 2018, 19:27   #14
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
So just plugging in a T4, which I believe is what my garage did this morning, will NOT succeed? You have to take off the EWS box (?) hidden on the driver's A post, plug in to a PC to code the transponder, then replace to get through the immobiliser?

Dave
Yes that's the one. T4 was made to add the remote portion of an official key from BMW Germany. A key from the dealer is ready cut and the transponder is the next one in the secret list BMW had. The tools that connect to the EWS lift the codes from the EWS and burn them on to a fresh transponder in a round about way negating the need to contact BMW.

Yep

Last edited by fandango151; 4th December 2018 at 19:31..
Old 4th December 2018, 23:58   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

If you want a working key transponder, post me your EWS and I'll make you one that works

Not that I've done it before, but I probably can do it, at least I think I can

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 09:09   #16
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If you want a working key transponder, post me your EWS and I'll make you one that works

Not that I've done it before, but I probably can do it, at least I think I can

Brian

Thanks Brian. I'm trying to avoid the obvious: be without car for few days AND run risk of losing key etc in the Xmas post, when in theory there is/was someone down the road who said they could do it (for £47). What I don't understand is that they are ex Rover dealers, well regarded, who said it was no problem. These aren't back street fly-by-nights.

Dave
Old 5th December 2018, 09:30   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
What I don't understand is that they are ex Rover dealers, well regarded, who said it was no problem. These aren't back street fly-by-nights.
Dave,

Did you make it absolutely clear, and did they confirm that they fully understood, that you had a brand new transponder in your key which had never been used to start your car before?

Simon
Old 5th December 2018, 11:13   #18
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Thanks Brian. I'm trying to avoid the obvious: be without car for few days AND run risk of losing key etc in the Xmas post, when in theory there is/was someone down the road who said they could do it (for £47). What I don't understand is that they are ex Rover dealers, well regarded, who said it was no problem. These aren't back street fly-by-nights.

Dave
When they would have seen new keys they would have done exactly what they did which didn't work. How it goes is you ask the dealer to supply a new key. They send off to get one cut to vin and coded to the immobiliser as per previous post. They then follow the procedure to add the final component into the body controller so the remote works. Added security - nobody who had hold of the official kit could hook up and make a key that would allow the car to be stolen or so the theory goes. Makes it a brilliant system IMHO.

Dealers wouldn't get involved with the matching of the immobiliser section as it should have all be pre done hence it is aftermarket tools that perform the function you require.

As for being without car for a while - I had to send an ecu for repair send it tracked/recorded. Sent Monday back and fitted by Wed. Failing that take a drive to a trader and have a day out.

Last edited by fandango151; 5th December 2018 at 11:17..
Old 5th December 2018, 13:05   #19
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:

Dave
If your "new" key is fitted with a new blank transponder then unless they have access to additional equipment then they wouldn't be able to enable it.
T4 can't programme them as it can't access the data file in the immobiliser
They probably thought you just needed the remote coding in.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 16:15   #20
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
How it goes is you ask the dealer to supply a new key. They send off to get one cut to vin and coded to the immobiliser as per previous post. They then follow the procedure to add the final component into the body controller so the remote works.
And that would cost you £220 + VAT.

I'd recommend a trip to Plymouth and see Chris.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote