Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th October 2012, 12:33   #11
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Wet Carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plezier View Post
Is it possible for water to get into the cabin and under the carpet is the rubber drain pipe is not seated properly?
AFAIK it's only the sunroof drains that do that. Never heard of wet carpets / water in the cabin being blamed on missing plenum drain tubes.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 12:36   #12
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
I'm also worried about mice nesting in my pollen filter this winter, or worse still, rewiring my ECU.
Blimey, you have some clever mice down your way. Do you think they'd be able to wire in a remote control box for my FBH?
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 14:12   #13
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_dente View Post
Blimey, you have some clever mice down your way. Do you think they'd be able to wire in a remote control box for my FBH?
Very good !

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 14:28   #14
kfieldin
Banned

Quote:
AFAIK it's only the sunroof drains that do that. Never heard of wet carpets / water in the cabin being blamed on missing plenum drain tubes.
My carpets get wet and I don't have a sunroof. Drivers footwell and then rear driver's side. Plenums clear and kept clear as did my own mod. The water finds its way in somewhere!!!

Strange though after last nights downpour - dry as a bone. It seems to be long periods of rain when car is left standing for a few weeks...
kfieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 16:52   #15
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Quote:
Oh dear TGB does not have a sunroof but she sure does have water where it should not be. Have just got to find/figure out where it's coming from, correction where it's getting in before some wags says the Sky .
Old 5th October 2012, 21:28   #16
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Hi

I can see right through to the ground, so mine's either been circumcised or it's missing, too. I'm going to check it out because, according to information from T-Cut on the following thread, if it's missing then water can get trapped further down in the compartment and cause corrosion. I'm also worried about mice nesting in my pollen filter this winter, or worse still, rewiring my ECU.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=414448

Regards
Robert
my Connie tourer is the same age as yours and does not have any rubber in it and when I peer in I can see the ground (which means it cannot flood the ECU at least). I had not thought there might be a lower chamber but I did wonder on reading this if MGR did a late mod on some of the final MKIIs to get rid of the blockable tubes?
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 21:37   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

The tubes should be in place on all models from 99 through to the time of closure, if not there i have heard that some dealer removed the tubes why i dont know maybe thinking its the best bet other than ECU damage if missing i would suggest replacing.

I am in the process of adding to this thread the spyhole mod, and the plenum leaf collector with pics as always so they are all in one place on a thread to save new members searching from one post or thread to another.

The first chance i get i will try and get a camera down the plenum chamber with the tube removed and see what lies below Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 6th October 2012 at 00:07..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 21:49   #18
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Here's a picture of the Plenum guard which is supplied by Jules.

pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 00:41   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Leaf stopper/collector

To help stop leaves and debris from getting into the plenum below you can use this gutter netting very cheap and does the job wonderful brought from pound shop,lidil and Aldi.

One roll will do eight cars so if you are going to any meets a worth while mod to do takes about 20 mins to do both sides you will need sissors four cable ties one gutter grip and a rule. Fig 1

Cut two pieces of the wire 15" long Fig 2

Next cut down lengthways and 2.5" in from the edge by 5" both pieces of wire Fig 3/4

Next trim the corner of both pieces of the netting you can do the while fitting it to the car to get a more acurate cut i am able to do it because i have a template Fig 5/6

All the parts ready for fitting to the car over the wing plenum tubes near and offsides Fig 7

To fit remove the front and rear scuttle clips as in the plenum photo shoot at the start of the thread, this will help when you feed the netting under the scuttle to seal the appeture/gap over the tubes, if you did not cut the corner before you can cut it to shape now Fig 8

Once you have cut to shape and held the nett in place by the bolts holding the bonnet hinge and the gutter clip near side passenger drill two 5mm holes for the cable ties Fig 9

Cable ties attached Fig 10

A little nick in the nett so the tube can be rodded Fig 11

Neat finished job all for £1 or £2.49 the most and 20 mins of your time at home or a meet Fig 12-14

This is real easy and well worth doing Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 6th October 2012, 01:27   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Spyhole Mod Easy To Do

[QUOTE=Arctic;1109189]Plenums we hear so much about them and the reason why is very clear below in the photo's that follow.

And even more important this time of year with the Autum leaf fall etc.

Yesterday a member of the club Mike came to have his handbrake mod fitted, as i always do i checked the plenum's after asking if he had checked them it turned out he had only brought the car Sunday so the car was very new to him, he had looked at the plenums from the drivers side and could see some water and he also heard the sloshing sound when driving.

The results can be seen below so come on gents lets keep on top of these plenums do the spyhole mod and its only takes 2 minutes to check for water once applied.

Pic 1 water at least 3" deep

Below is how to do the spyhole mod you will need a rule pencil 25mm drill bit and a 25mm rubber bung Fig 1

With the scuttle shield panel removed measure 97mm and 180mm from the points in the photo below Fig 2/3

Width to center point of the auger 3a/3b
3a

b

Here you can see my template which i use at meets so i can easly turn over a good volume of trays in a few minutes Fig 4

With the panel marked out and your drill ready with its 25mm bit we/you can now drill the spyhole Fig 5

When you drill the scuttle tray makes sure you have support under the tray at all times Fig 6

Once drilled trim the hole to make it neat for the rubber bung to fit nice Fig 11

Spyhole mod done and ready for use Fig 12/

This shows the plumbers spring pipe bender Fig 13/14

If you intend to use the plumbers spring look for a 10mm or 15mm a boot lace and a tube mine was from an old wendy house but any 15mm tube will do 12" to 15" long Fig 15

Also grind or file the end of the spring to remove the curl so it is smooth and will easly go into the tube Fig 16

Spring being used in situ Fig 17

Hope this helps the new members and remember check the plenums regular Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 6th March 2014 at 15:33..