Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2017, 00:02   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default KV6 Cambelt components - original factory suppliers?

Just want to confirm which companies originally supplied the cambelt parts for MGR when the 75/ZT were originally built (certainly some parts come from different suppliers now).

Primary belt - Gates?
Secondary belts - Gates?
Tensioner pulley - INA?
Idler pulley - Maybe INA again??
Water pump - ?? With plastic impeller I believe?

Can anybody confirm?
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 00:08   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I've just checked the originals that I have and the tensioner and idler are both INA, the belts just say made in the EEC

You won't go far wrong with Gates though

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 16:38   #3
Bolin
This is my second home

Thank you Russ

I know that Xpart had swapped the tensioner pulley to NWB by 2013, and it clearly looked cheaper.

The INA tensioner pulley I bought then was made in Slovakia but looked the same as an older (but not original) INA pulley made in UK. Hopefully the change of location doesn't mean worse parts.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 5th May 2017, 20:00   #4
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

Yes Xpart did swap to the NWB version at some point, I prefer the original INA brand and source kits that have it. The NWB model appears to be slightly bigger and I thought felt rough when spun by hand in comparison.
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 20:13   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default Water pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Thank you Russ

I know that Xpart had swapped the tensioner pulley to NWB by 2013, and it clearly looked cheaper.

The INA tensioner pulley I bought then was made in Slovakia but looked the same as an older (but not original) INA pulley made in UK. Hopefully the change of location doesn't mean worse parts.
the belts will be ok with gates.the bearings skf will be ok.its the water pumps that are the big issue here. gates dont do one anymore for the kv6. this is why we need to dismantle an original pump and investigate what is possible to find out. i doubt however even if we do find the original parts that they will still be of the same quality. it needs someone to take on a project of rebuilding new aftermarket pumps and fitting reliable bearings and seals or even a double seal if poss. i would pay well for a decent pump as would many others. my previous posts or requests have fallen on deaf ears as im sure yours will. the primary reason ... but not the only one is that most people on here do not use these cars as daily drives and so does not interest them. wish you all the best xsport.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 20:41   #6
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

I would only ever fit a genuine old stock PEB102240 (which are NLA) but try ebay.

Or pay up and get the exact same part in a land rover box PEB102240L. Expensive but worth the extra outlay as these will not leak and will last the length of the timing belt change interval.
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 23:07   #7
Bolin
This is my second home

I thought that the original MGR/LR pumps had plastic impellers which have been much maligned for their reliability?

I was mainly curious about the water pump and not sure if the original factory supplier was the way to go given the impeller issue. Still can't decide on that.
Old 6th May 2017, 16:14   #8
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn12 View Post
I would only ever fit a genuine old stock PEB102240 (which are NLA) but try ebay.

Or pay up and get the exact same part in a land rover box PEB102240L. Expensive but worth the extra outlay as these will not leak and will last the length of the timing belt change interval.
Which is what I had delivered yesterday, expensive but you don't want to be pratting about replacing a dud pump!
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 21:05   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
Which is what I had delivered yesterday, expensive but you don't want to be pratting about replacing a dud pump!
can you tell us if it has the white plastic impeller and also how free it is to turn by hand. ...... just curious to know . there are two versions on rimmers site which are called original of which one costs around £70 and the other £140 ..... whats the difference and which did you plumb for ? i suspect they are both the same animal . i hope not. cheers xsport
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 21:15   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Don't ever consider "NOS, New old stock" belts. These will be past their use by time. Gates were the OE suppliers, 're-printed for Rover