Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th November 2022, 18:01   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Will this 17 amp cable do the job?

Am trying to replace a dud silver fan resistor with the gold one and need to add a few inches of cable to make life easier. Like most people I have boxes of domestic 3 and 2 core cable but no single core. But have come across this from Eurocarparts which would seem to do the job as I don't want to buy a 100m drum. As my electrical knowledge stopped at Mr Ohms Law 60 odd years ago would some kind member please confirm? Many thanks.
Old 16th November 2022, 20:04   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Am trying to replace a dud silver fan resistor with the gold one and need to add a few inches of cable to make life easier. Like most people I have boxes of domestic 3 and 2 core cable but no single core. But have come across this from Eurocarparts which would seem to do the job as I don't want to buy a 100m drum. As my electrical knowledge stopped at Mr Ohms Law 60 odd years ago would some kind member please confirm? Many thanks.
From memory the gold resistor is 100 watts. Therefore 100/12 volts says current is 8.3 amps. So you have a safety margin of 50% which seems more than adequate.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 10:42   #3
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
You need to ensure it is multi-stranded 'flex' cable as opposed to single core (one copper wire) solid cable as most domestic stuff is. Vibrations will cause the latter to deteriorate and break, hence the need for flex.
The linked item would appear to be fine.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 14:35   #4
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

4mm Thinwall is what the car left the factory with on the resistor, that is what I'd be using.

You can buy 1m of 4mm thinwall below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203661086...3ABFBMsv7Z45Bh
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 16:24   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dave.
The advice and wires above are what you need to follow, multistrand wire, add a spade end to the wire, then solder it too the resistor, then use a good quality heat shrink to cover the spade over, at the other end of the tail add a straight crimp, you can then strip back your original wire coming from the fan, slip another good piece of heat shrink over the wire crimp or solder the joint the choice is yours then cover with the heat shrink.

Remembering you will need to drill the pilot holes in the new resistor to match the original bracket or lugs on the fan, always try to use the original bracket if you can.

I use wiring from the Rover 75 car loom we keep for the meets

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=216734

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 18:52   #6
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Dave.
The advice and wires above are what you need to follow, multistrand wire, add a spade end to the wire, then solder it too the resistor, then use a good quality heat shrink to cover the spade over, at the other end of the tail add a straight crimp, you can then strip back your original wire coming from the fan, slip another good piece of heat shrink over the wire crimp or solder the joint the choice is yours then cover with the heat shrink.

Remembering you will need to drill the pilot holes in the new resistor to match the original bracket or lugs on the fan, always try to use the original bracket if you can.

I use wiring from the Rover 75 car loom we keep for the meets

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=216734
Thanks Steve: Yep I'm doing all that. Rather stolen my thunder there as I was all set to add some pics, but as ever you've beaten me to it. But I did manage to take it off without removing the bumper and crash bar.
Old 17th November 2022, 21:49   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Steve's post is what in Cornwall they call 'proper job'. Crimping is fine for years if done well, but longer term you can't beat solder and heat shrink.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2022, 13:19   #8
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Default Crimp or solder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Steve's post is what in Cornwall they call 'proper job'. Crimping is fine for years if done well, but longer term you can't beat solder and heat shrink.
Now that's a dangerous topic. See here of many of the discussions of crimp or solder. This one says: "While it may be painful for some people to hear, the reality is that in the automotive industry this has long ago been settled. The gold standard is to (properly) crimp wires where possible. This is what industry does, and what you should do, too. Whether you’re splicing or attaching a terminal makes no difference. To verify this just take a look under the hood and you’ll find hundreds of crimps, but virtually no soldering. As long as you have the right tools, crimping is the way to go."
Old 19th November 2022, 08:09   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Dave (MissMoppet),

You may like to support this British supplier which offers an excellent range of automotive wiring available by the metre.
Quote:
Now that's a dangerous topic. See here of many of the discussions of crimp or solder. This one says: "While it may be painful for some people to hear, the reality is that in the automotive industry this has long ago been settled. The gold standard is to (properly) crimp wires where possible. This is what industry does, and what you should do, too. Whether you’re splicing or attaching a terminal makes no difference. To verify this just take a look under the hood and you’ll find hundreds of crimps, but virtually no soldering. As long as you have the right tools, crimping is the way to go."
As far as this quote is concerned, I suspect that the industry uses crimped joints because it's cheaper and quicker than soldering during assembly, not because it's more secure. There are, of course, thousands of soldered joints inside ECUs. I'd recommend following Arctic's method.

Simon
Old 19th November 2022, 21:31   #10
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Default Use the right fan hole

To round off this topic - of changing a dud resistor without removing the bumper or crash bar - I should perhaps have mentioned that in case you've not noticed the fan blades are not equi-distant if that's the correct term. There is one hole that is significantly bigger than the rest that does enable you to get both hands in and hold the gold resistor much more comfortably. All you then need is a short or stubby screwdriver - mine is 3ins long - that allows you to remove the lower bolt on the bracket.