Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th September 2020, 13:08   #1
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts
Default Metallic grinding noise from drivers front wheel

Hi all,

Just been looking at a tourer and have come up with a bit of an issue on the front wheel. She's been sitting for about a couple of months.

Please excuse my ignorance of autos as I've been a manual guy pretty much all my life.

Going forwards at less than walking speed there's a grinding clunk noise. It's not really noticeable going backwards.

Jacking her up it's very difficult to "spin" the wheel in"N" and impossible in anything else like "P" or "D." The most I could manage is maybe 1/8th of a turn of brute force at a time. Is this normal? In a manual you can sort of spin the wheel but an auto

When I did get a slightly free point I couldn't detect any play.

The car has traction control. With the wheel up and in "D" it rotates but there's a hell of a racket. "Traction Control" comes upon the dash. Having never had a Rover with Traction Control is this just telling me that it's activated (one wheel turning, the other sat on the ground) or something else? I'm guessing that the Traction Control isn't that sophisticated and simply applies the brakes to the "spinning" wheel?

The speedo is working, registering just a few mph which feels about right for "D" on tickover.

The ABS warning light is on but not sure if this is the usual connector under the seat problem or something else. Bearing/ABS sensor/ring? But would the speedo still be OK?

Stupidly I didn't thoroughly check the state of the pads. As she was only up on the standard jack I wasn't going to get too enthusiastic! The outer one looked decent. The disc didn't look too bad although there was some rust but I've seen far worse. The pad wear sensor isn't lit. Trying to find out when the discs &/or pads were changed. I assume an auto is harder on pads?

I'm thinking/hoping that it's something like a stuck/sticking caliper which has meant that the only movement has been on the piston which, in turn has worn the inner pad away. Possibly a duff wheel bearing has been mentioned.

I don't have a virtual T4 but I do have TOAF but hadn't got it with me. Diagnostics?

Any advice, thoughts and suggestions very welcome.

Cheers.

Andy

Last edited by AndyN01; 26th September 2020 at 13:10..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 13:30   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I would go with the inner pad worn away theory, especially if the wear indicator is fitted to the outer pad . one wheel only spinning will bring on the traction control. it is also normal for it to be impossible to turn the wheel while it is in P and difficult to turn in N. Never tried it in D

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 13:40   #3
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Could be the disc, I left my old rover 400 sitting for 10 days and the pads had welded themselves to the discs , after driving for a very short distance they freed off but the noise was horrendous.
Basically the top surface of the disc had come away where the pad had stuck.
A by product of cheap discs and pads.
Cured by replacing discs and pads.

Stan
Old 26th September 2020, 14:34   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Cheers Dave & Stan.

Thanks for the info about the traction control kicking if one wheel is spinning just a bit and confirming that it's normal to be unable to turn the wheel in P and only just about in N.

Hadn't thought about a pad sticking and welding itself to the disc closely followed by part of the disc coming away .

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote