Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st October 2022, 03:28   #1
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default Looking for ZT-T Production Information

Hello all,
I'm hoping to register my 2002 ZT-T as a collector vehicle here in British Columbia. This will get me a hugely reduced insurance rate.
There are different criteria to get the classification. The primary one is that it be 25 years or older which of course mine isn't, being 2002 manufacture.
The other way in is if the car is limited production of 1500 or less examples in a model year. Looking at the total ZT-T numbers I think the ZT-T may meet that number but I would need either the manufacturer's figures or figures from an acceptable source.
I know that the manufacturer's figures may not be in the public domain but would anyone have a source for the numbers? Any leads appreciated!
Old 1st October 2022, 06:18   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

What specific criteria do you need? All ZTTs produced worldwide in the 2002 model year, or specific engine / trim derivative numbers ie V6 in say plus spec etc for your given year?
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2022, 10:50   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Well there was 8,249 zt-t made and 18,894 zt's made.

For reference there was rover 75 made and it was a total of 211,175 75s made including 27,407 tourers.

Now there where the "mg rover info" website figures which are a bit hit and miss at times, but generally as a guide that's where you are at.

So no, the car is not going to be exempt in that approach, if it was a v8 zt-t you'd be flying. Or maybe even a monogram.

What might be worth looking at is the combination a 1 of 1 model, that kinda stuff making it very rare that way.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2022, 23:23   #4
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

On the negative side it's a government entity I am dealing with so I ideally need either an official industry or MGR source or possibly a reputable club figure of the number of ZT-Ts produced in 2002.
It would have to be specifically for the MG version of the Tourer. There are currently no 75s, either saloon or tourer, registered in BC, so they are out of the equation. As a matter of fact my car is the only ZT registered here so it is seen as a distinct model without 75s or ZT saloons muddying the waters.
If I can't get the proper information I may just have a go at convincing them that as the manufacturer is defunct and mine is the only one for 2000 miles I deserve collector status. It may just work!
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:42   #5
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Well the mg car club acquired the build data.

https://www.mgcc.co.uk/zedregister/2...es-build-data/

And the club here has it also. It may help having a certificate from the MGCC of the car build, date, history etc.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:49   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair View Post
Well the mg car club acquired the build data.

https://www.mgcc.co.uk/zedregister/2...es-build-data/
So the info will cost £50 as all enquiries have to be accompanied by MGCC membership number.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 17:17   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Thanks all.
The build data isn't what I am after unless it states the number of ZT-Ts built in 2002. That is the one piece of information that I need as the government insurer really doesn't care about the spec of my car.
The magic number is if production in 2002 was under 1500 units. I have a suspicion that it was higher as ZT production was ramping up at that time, although if it is close they may let me get away with it. If I can get the ZT-T recognized as a "Collector car" it will save me about $1000. a year in insurance costs which would be a real bonus as I am now retired and on a fixed income.
As for MGCC membership, unless they were able to give me that 2002 production figure it isn't worth my while. Being out of the UK the only benefit to me from joining is the magazine, and with overseas postage it turns into a very expensive subscription. I have weakened and joined the MGCC 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years and have never found it worth my while. I also took out an MGOC membership once and subscribed to the MGF register magazine for a few years but the overseas costs make it uneconomical. I'm even thinking of dropping my MG Enthusiast subscription for the same reason.
Old 2nd October 2022, 17:29   #8
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Thanks all.
The build data isn't what I am after unless it states the number of ZT-Ts built in 2002. That is the one piece of information that I need as the government insurer really doesn't care about the spec of my car.
The magic number is if production in 2002 was under 1500 units. I have a suspicion that it was higher as ZT production was ramping up at that time, although if it is close they may let me get away with it. If I can get the ZT-T recognized as a "Collector car" it will save me about $1000. a year in insurance costs which would be a real bonus as I am now retired and on a fixed income.
As for MGCC membership, unless they were able to give me that 2002 production figure it isn't worth my while. Being out of the UK the only benefit to me from joining is the magazine, and with overseas postage it turns into a very expensive subscription. I have weakened and joined the MGCC 3 or 4 times over the last 40 years and have never found it worth my while. I also took out an MGOC membership once and subscribed to the MGF register magazine for a few years but the overseas costs make it uneconomical. I'm even thinking of dropping my MG Enthusiast subscription for the same reason.
The build data would give that information, not straight away, but building statistics out of it would give you the number. In any case, having access to that information myself, I can tell you that there were over 2,000 ZT-Ts assembled during the year 2002, and a total close to 6,500 when you include saloon ZTs. So no, your reduction scheme would not apply.
Old 3rd October 2022, 03:41   #9
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Thanks for that Scoubix. I suspected that 2002 was a higher production year for the ZT-T. I will have to see if there are any loopholes in the criteria that will let me get the collector designation.
Cheers, Rich
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:13   #10
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Looking at the build records, there are specifically 1,817 2002 Model Year ZT-Ts listed, and 4,408 MG ZT saloons produced in the 2002 model year run.

So as Scoubix says a little over the 1,500 cut off mark I'm afraid.

If it will help, I can tell you there were only 1,334 MGZT-T 190 Tourers produced worldwide in the 2002 Model Year
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote