Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2008, 17:25   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Default Apple Problems with 3G iPhone

Apple are being sued in a Class Action being taken out in US over their false claims about phone in adverts.

In the UK the Advertising Authority has upheld complaints against Apple iPhone advertisements being told they can no longer be shown as untrue.

It now has to state that the Functions shown on adverts do not work without certain Microsoft Programs (not supplied)
also they (iPhone) cannot use "Flash" or "Java" as shown in the old advertisements, and no updates are available or planned for Internet use on current model.

The last 249MB Firmware fix, was a fix!
it now permanently shows a 3G signal when none available due to its weak capture capabilities,
this was implemented because of the high number of complaints of signal dropping out.

Further comments below:

Quote:
Angered users are now zeroing in at the Cupertino-based gadget maker who still refuses to divulge any specifics of the included bug fixes of the update. The firmware release notes do not provide any details beyond the note of "bug fixes". However, in a conversation with USA Today, spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock said that "the iPhone 2.0.2 software update improves communication with 3G networks." In the meantime, Apple’s forum is flooded with messages from upset users who claim that the new firmware does not to fix the 3G issues.

Apparently, the "improved communication" turns out to be a software tweak in how the handset reports the 3G signal strength to a user. Many who installed the 2.0.2 firmware are now accusing Apple of deceiving tactics designed to conceal the existence of 3G issues. Users report that the affected handsets upgraded with the latest firmware still suffers from poor 3G reception in areas where other smartphones maintain 3G connectivity, despite a stronger 3G signal bar that is now shown in the user interface.

Industry watchers remain convinced that Apple will address the 3G issues with a more substantial 2.1 firmware update scheduled for an October release. However, there are engineers believe that the 3G issues are caused by a hardware defect due to the substantial manufacturing ramp that reportedly is beyond actual capacity. If that indeed is the case, Apple will have to recall potentially tens of thousands of iPhone 3G units. What contradicts these claims is the fact that are in fact users who claim their 3G issues are now resolved.

In the meantime, slower-than-promised data download speeds will bring Apple a class action lawsuit. Jessica Smith from Birmingham, Alabama, accused Apple in a 10-page complaint that Apple falsely advertised the iPhone 3G speed. Smith claims that Apple breached its promises by using the "twice as fast" tagline in iPhone 3G advertising and commercials. She is now seeking damages for false advertising, asking a court to order Apple to fix or replace affected iPhone 3G units. She specifically claims that iPhone 3G maintains a 3G connection over less than 25% of the time, even in areas labeled as "excellent" in AT&T's 3G coverage map. Smith asks users affected with 3G issues to join her suit, citing huge threads on various internet forums to pinpoint number of affected users to "tens of thousands."

Don’t say you are surprised. We are actually a bit surprised that it so long for a suit to come along as the “twice as fast” promise is an invitation for a suit.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 06:57   #2
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

I was tempted to buy one when the pay as you go version is released but I don't think i'll bother! Shame on Apple! Will keep looking at HTC's offering, they are getting smarter and smarter!
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:22   #3
JohnDotCom

As a all round do everything phone including Fast Internet, large screen, 5MP Carl Zeiss camera, Maps, TV, etc
You can't go far wrong with the new Nokia N96 16GB but it isn't as stylish as the Apple but does a lot more and faster to.
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:50   #4
BT@Home
Loves to post

'99 Club CDT / '03 ZT-T + CDTi

Check out the N85 for a cheaper solution. N96 is more expensive and the TV feature is useless in the UK for the next few years.

Regards the iPhone, the lastest releases have turned my iPhone first gen into a useless phone. Its slow, and the screen responsiveness is trash now.
BT@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 09:14   #5
JohnDotCom

I'm still using the N95 8GB which does enough to not warrant upgrade to N96 IMHO.
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:56   #6
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Orange have just offered me an HTC Diamond. Seems to have most of the bells and whistles of an iphone but with the windows mobile o\s.

Think I am going to go with it. Has anybody tried one?

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:48   #7
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I have been using a Smartphone/ Windows mobile device for about 4 years now - it is a good multifunction device - but at the end of the day it is a windows and it *does* need regular reboots, for unexplained freezing etc. also the longer you use it the more it feels like a windows system - i.e. you sometimes need a fresh install to start "Fresh". Overall it does what it is meant to do - I use mail/contacts/diary/GPS mostly but the touch screen is pants - and once you have touched the Apple ipod touch or the iphone the graphical interface is in the stone ages ... overall I would give it 3.5 out of 5 ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:20   #8
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Is that with ref to the HTC Diamond Christopher, or just windows mobile o\s in general?

I was playing with a 3g iphone last night and whilst it seemed nice and responsive it also seemed a little shallow, if one could describe a phone as such! The apps seem cute and fun but not actually that useful. I imagine I would get bored of the weather function and light saber simulator fairly quickly and ultimatley I want the phone to work as a mini laptop really so the windows o\s seems more useful.

Samsung i900 is the other option at the moment which is more like an iphone in terms of style and apparently has better battery life than the HTC.

I guess I could just try one and send it back if I really hate it.

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:25   #9
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I had an HTC "lookalike" smartphone and then went to an Asus Mio pocket pc phone (although the OS is the same, with the latter just having a touch screen).

I know what you mean about the apps - it is useful that you can view a .doc, .pdf or .ppt/excel files etc onthe move though.

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:57   #10
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Prefer the O2 XDA Orbit myself never needs rebooting superb phone Runs TomTom, and photos taken with it have the GPRS coordinates embedded in them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote