Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2008, 19:48   #11
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Not many of us can get wheel alignment done for £15 cash. Four wheel laser tracking is typically £50-£80. According to some, not all tracking stations do a good job. Many people believe if you want a job done right, you do it yourself. DIY toe adjustment has never been reliable, but Gunson says this gadget is accurate, hence my question. I'm not recommending it, nor am I thinking of getting one, but someone must have tried it.

TC
My 4 wheel laser tracking was, as I said, £25. That was at Tyre Services, a subsidiary of Kwack-Fit so I'd guess that might be a reasonably constant figure nationwide.

Looking at the invoice presented to my insurers for the recent repairs to VeeKay, the garage charged £80 for a complete Optiflex alignment which, if I understand it correctly, check the entire suspension alignment out.

It seems incongruous that a simple 4 wheel laser tracking should cost between £50 and £80.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 20:17   #12
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Not many of us can get wheel alignment done for £15 cash. Four wheel laser tracking is typically £50-£80. According to some, not all tracking stations do a good job. Many people believe if you want a job done right, you do it yourself. DIY toe adjustment has never been reliable, but Gunson says this gadget is accurate, hence my question. I'm not recommending it, nor am I thinking of getting one, but someone must have tried it.

TC
WOW!! That is a hefty sum for tracking! No wonder you would want to do it yourself! Living next to a big city has it's advantages I suppose, plenty of choices for services offered.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 20:23   #13
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Bear in mind gents theres a whole load of difference between a quick £15 track reset and £50/£80 optiflex / geometry set.

I pay £55 ish for my cars to be done but I know when I leave all the angles are spot on not just the toe.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 20:40   #14
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

As Lates says I don't think there is a Kwik Fit in the Land that has either the Equipment or Capable staff to do the Proper Adjustments etc to rear wheels.
They advertise 4 wheel alignment but as far as I have seen to date never touch the Rear wheels at all.
Don't mind being corrected on that and if your Happy that to is good news.
As a note I paid £85 for 4 wheel laser/Geometry check and alignment.
It took them an hour to check and adjust everything.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 20:48   #15
rovermech
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Gunsons Trakrite

I am a retired garage owner but still do a bit of servicing and mot repairs, I have had a Trakrite for a good number of years and find it a very good tool
always check the cars I service, its so easy to use and it does show which wheel requires attention. I can honesty say I have never had to change a tyre on one of my vehicles, because the tyre has worn uneven.
If you do your own repairs I think you would find the tool well worth the money.
rovermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 21:26   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovermech View Post
I am a retired garage owner but still do a bit of servicing and mot repairs, I have had a Trakrite for a good number of years and find it a very good tool. Always check the cars I service, its so easy to use and it does show which wheel requires attention. I can honesty say I have never had to change a tyre on one of my vehicles, because the tyre has worn uneven.
If you do your own repairs I think you would find the tool well worth the money.
That's the sort of answer I'm interested in. Many thanks for your views.
Has anyone else used this kit?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 15:54   #17
lwindridge
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Tourer

I use one on my MX-5 due to it being too low to get onto most places ramps.

Never had a problem with the tracking after using it and would definitely recommend one if you've got a particularly bumpy set of roads around you as I've known that to throw tracking off over time...
Old 11th April 2008, 18:01   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwindridge View Post
- - - - would definitely recommend one ...
Mm, two votes for. Maybe Gunson have got something here.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote