Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2008, 16:10   #1
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Default Who works in the motor trade?

Just curious as to how many folks on here are associated with the motor trade?

I teach engineering these days but I have deep roots in the trade going back to the mid seventies when I started a saturday job at an ex Leyland/Rover/Ford dealership, I served my apprenticeship there before moving onto Motorcycles and setting up a small garage. I moved into engineering in the mid 80s but still an avid car fanatic I restored a number of classic cars and bikes

I was a technical advisor for a several car/motorcycle clubs and I owned a car accessory bussiness for several years....I still keep close contacts with the trade and cllassic car scene.

I am interested to know if other folks have a trade background?
Old 7th June 2008, 16:12   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

There are quite a few on here Jamie including many Ex MG Rover staff and Raistlin of course.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 17:10   #3
Southside
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I worked for Nissan for just over a year then left, was sick of getting messed around. Now been doing mobile tyre fitting for nearly 2 years. Like the ones you see on the motorways e.t.c. Hoping to move up to mobile truck tyres next year, Mega money
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 18:20   #4
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Worked for VW dealer, never again, they are litter. (IMO of course.)
I also worked for an ex austin dealership, to this day there is still the illuminated Austin Rover signs on the showroom. (ring any bells Rob)
For the last 6 years I've been with Honda dealers, I'm trained to Diagnostic level, (only three levels, third is master tech, and I'm now the workshop controller at a Honda dealer.
Old 7th June 2008, 19:10   #5
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I served my time as a mechanic for a nissan dealer for 6 years, then i went in to the motorcycle trade till last year when i went to the isle of man to work with cars again, got laid of and im back at home on the "rock and roll" been doin it since 1980 !!!!!!!!
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 19:24   #6
tapped
Gets stuck in

Ex-75 1.8T, 2.5V6 and CDT + ZT 190 & V8!

worked for Rover in Chassis Development primarily doing R25 and 45 V6 and the stillborn R30/R55 steering system development then same dept at Bentley on the Conti GT and Arnage upgrades and then chassis/engineering quality at Jaguar /Landrover.

Now in finance!
tapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 19:34   #7
rovermech
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Motor Trade

Been in the trade all my life, working on cars,commercials,PSVs and contractors plant done the lot and at the age of 70 I still can't put the spanners down.
Had my own garage up to retiring - retired thats a laugh, but Ive enjoyed every minute, grandkids can't under stand when I say I used to love to go to work, but if you enjoy what you are doing thats half the battle.
Seen alot of changes and I never thought I would rely on a machine to tell me what the problem is with a car, but thats progress so they say:lol:

Keep up the good work on the forum
rovermech
rovermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 21:54   #8
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Time served engineer, but moved into motor trade. Ex fast fit mechanic, & later MOT tester and test centre manager. I am now quality and training manager for a chain of car, commercial tyres and fastfit centers.
Old 7th June 2008, 22:11   #9
mikpeirce
Regular poster

ZT-T 260 SE :-))

Default Escaped!

Managed 14 years in the motor trade before I escaped! Started as a parts driver for a Rover dealership, and ended as a parts manager when the whole lot went belly up in 2005.

Now bored out of my mind doing an admin job for a major computer services provider, although I do keep myself entertained helping my mate out on Saturdays with some spannering.

Think I need a new career

Mik
mikpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 15:57   #10
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Done my apprenticship on cars vans and lorrys (gawd bless em!) for a big construction company and stayed on the spanners for a few years after, till the piles, NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- money, and the being scared to death on the hard shoulder under wagons forced me away.
Still love working on my motors in fact I resent anybody else working on them, partly the reason I got the bike so I can tinker in the dry in the garage

I personaly think it becomes a drug once you have done it for a living, within an hour of getting the fazer home I had the brakes off oil drained and the suspension linkage in bits

Mrs F wasn't impressed