Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Food for thought indeed. Thanks Guys
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 21:59   #12
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

...A Tumble Dryer, with Warm, Hot and Cool facilities.....
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 22:12   #13
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

When we replaced our heating system last year, we took the recommendation of more than one installer not to have a combi for several reasons. For example, the combi boilers do not appear to be as reliable as the conventional type and there can be problems with showers especially on low flow rate.

We went for a hot water system with a rapid recovery pressure cylinder. ie. No header tank and the shower works from mains pressure on hot and cold.

This works very well and we get a full tank of hot water very quickly. Much better than my experiences of combi systems, although a little more expensive to install.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 22:31   #14
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

I'm sure you can get a A rated condensing boiler that isn't combi.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 08:50   #15
rovermech
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default boilers

Combi boiler you do away with the tank in the airing cuboard

Condensing boiler you keep it

I had a condensing boiler fitted two years ago and have had no problems plenty of heat and hot water
rovermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 08:54   #16
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I have a efficient Condensing Combi Boiler to add further confusion.
With a Postage stamp Radiator in Airing Cupboard (and Tumble Dryer).
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:33   #17
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
You fit a small radiator in place of the tank !

BUT - before going down the combi route consider the following ----

No stored hot water usually means no stored cold, means the only water available in the premises at any given time is what the supply pipe from the main is capable of supplying.

This means that if toilet is flushed, washing machine is on fill cycle, another tap is opened elsewhere in the house the nicely balanced shower you are having is disrupted, maybe not a lot if its a good quality thermostatic one or electric but the flow rate will most probably be reduced.

I have seen/carried out numerous rising main replacements and plumbing alterations AFTER people have had a combi installed.

It is obviously a easier/cheaper option in some situations but they have their drawbacks.

Obviously it is all down to the existing situation and projected usage.

Send me a PM and I will give you a call if you would like to discuss, there are various simple tests that you can carry out which may clarify if your house is suitable.

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
You can have a combination boiler and pipe up an indirect cyl as a radiator. The cyl could be then used in conjunction with its header tank and a power shower. The cyl could be used to suppy hot water to bath and upstairs sink whilst sink taps downstairs are supplied via the combination boiler. Not cheap initially but gives back up of hot warer services in case of failure especially if backed up with immersion heater or even solar panels

Simple solution is to fit a condensing system boiler and new indirect cylinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard LPG View Post
When we replaced our heating system last year, we took the recommendation of more than one installer not to have a combi for several reasons. For example, the combi boilers do not appear to be as reliable as the conventional type and there can be problems with showers especially on low flow rate.

We went for a hot water system with a rapid recovery pressure cylinder. ie. No header tank and the shower works from mains pressure on hot and cold.

This works very well and we get a full tank of hot water very quickly. Much better than my experiences of combi systems, although a little more expensive to install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
I'm sure you can get a A rated condensing boiler that isn't combi.

Notice a trend. please please please don't go for a combi unless you have no space or live in a small flat.

They only have a life span (depending on the hardness of the water) of 8 to 12 years before the heat exchangers start playing up. This is though experience, professional not domestic. I would never have a combi in my home. The next one when its due will be a HE condensing boiler.

Last year I had to increase the provision for an housing provider of around 17k homes by quite a few £m to take into account they had gone and installed a large number of combis to their flats, all because the evidence showed that they were spending more time and effort having to go back to combination boilers and ultimately replacing them within ten years of install.

Go for traditional primary and secondary heating system with a high efficiency condensing boiler. Ground and air source pumps will be the thing to look at in a few years. Not at this moment in time as they are too costly and the pay back is long. Solar panel on the roof is the best into the cylinder if you are feeling green.

Food for thought - evidence shows the good old back boiler is the most reliable set up. Unfortunately with todays H&S, etc large landlords are having to pull then out, asbestos gaskets, low efficiency, etc.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:30   #18
afcbadam
Gets stuck in

2004 MG ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovermech View Post
Combi boiler you do away with the tank in the airing cuboard

Condensing boiler you keep it

I had a condensing boiler fitted two years ago and have had no problems plenty of heat and hot water
all boilers are condensing. it doesnt matter if its a combi or not. you cant fit anything else.

if anybody has any questions on boilers / central heating systems please pm as a few of the comments are totally wrong. (no offense intended). i am a gas fitter so am working on and fitting boilers and c/heating systems every day of the week.

www.themgzs.co.uk

Inner wing open cone
Oil catch tank
Janspeed cat back
Janspeed de-cat
Reidy Re-mapped

Last edited by afcbadam; 2nd November 2008 at 10:40..
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:30   #19
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I wonder if I might add a development of this thread as there are clearly those who understand the mechanics concerned.

At the moment we use an electric shower which consumes 8KWH.

We always have a tank full of hot water so I was considering doing away with the electric shower and fitting a bathroom tap / shower diverter.

My concern is though, will such a shower be effective?

The cold water (I assume) comes from the rising main and the hot water from the tank which is sited on the same floor as the shower with the shower head being some 18" above the height of the top of the tank.

Would we get a reasonable shower, both for pressure and temperature control?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:40   #20
afcbadam
Gets stuck in

2004 MG ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
I wonder if I might add a development of this thread as there are clearly those who understand the mechanics concerned.

At the moment we use an electric shower which consumes 8KWH.

We always have a tank full of hot water so I was considering doing away with the electric shower and fitting a bathroom tap / shower diverter.

My concern is though, will such a shower be effective?

The cold water (I assume) comes from the rising main and the hot water from the tank which is sited on the same floor as the shower with the shower head being some 18" above the height of the top of the tank.

Would we get a reasonable shower, both for pressure and temperature control?
i would personally put in a higher output electric shower. a mixer shower would work but couldnt make any promaces the pressure will be great. they are better fitted on combi boilers.

www.themgzs.co.uk

Inner wing open cone
Oil catch tank
Janspeed cat back
Janspeed de-cat
Reidy Re-mapped
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote