Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2018, 20:04   #21
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default idler pulley collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Mark190; I’ve sent you a P.M.

Simon
Hi Simon sent you a PM let me know if you have received it.
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:49   #22
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
The only problem with using another carpet to speed things up, is that you can't check thoroughly that you've 100% cured the leak. Removing the wet carpet, then driving the car without it for a few weeks, at least gives a good opportunity to see if water is getting in anywhere else, and allows the original to dry out properly

It's a lengthy job to get it out, as there is so much that needs to be removed, but none of it is particularly difficult. Hardest part is probably lifting the wet carpet out of the car - it's very heavy when wet

From memory:
Unclip front & rear sill 'kick' trims.
Unclip A, B and C pillar plastic trims.
Unbolt both front seats (ribe bit), unplug any wiring & unclip seatbelt height adjustment cable.
Remove radio, heater panel, cup holders, ash tray, etc. to give access to console screws.
Remove gear knob & surround, hazard switch, console pocket & rear ash tray.
Slacken handbrake adjuster to give more height to handbrake (secure car first !!)
Unbolt centre console - two bolts at rear, two screws down besides seats and various screws into dash. Unclip wiring and lift console out over handbrake.
Unbolt front seatbelt lower mounts.
Remove footwell heater side panels and any retainers up in front footwells.
Then simply lift out the carpet.....!!!

I dare say I've forgotten something, but the above will give you a good idea of what to do. Take the usual precautions when disconnecting the airbags (seats) and check your seat bolts (I think they're a 50 ribe type) will come undone before removing too much else - I've had these seized solid before and if they round off, can be a real pain to remove

Good luck if you have a go at it
And the foot rest!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 21:17   #23
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

My 1.8 carpet was replaced at the last Nano meet. I thought it would be harder than it was! Beware....did my sunroof drains twice and it still leaked. Turned out to be a bad windscreen seal! Had that on two now! My V6 I've managed to dry without taking out. I just took off the kick strips peeled it back and stuffed it with towels and then paper towels changed every day. Took a few weeks though!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2018, 21:33   #24
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

The main problem with removing all that stuff, which I have just done, are the brittle rubbish clips MGR used. You must be very patient with them or else the centre console, kick plates, etc will not go back as they originally were. I began looking at super glue even for some of them, but that's stupid for later access. Some clips you can replace, cheap as chips, but other fittings would require a whole new facia panel or whatever it's called.
Please be super careful removing the centre console, especially the little lip piece over the top storage bit and the two screws behind it.
Good luck.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 16:58   #25
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
And the foot rest!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
ha ha yes the footrest I have taken that out so ive started to do it really haven't I?
Old 4th September 2018, 17:03   #26
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
The main problem with removing all that stuff, which I have just done, are the brittle rubbish clips MGR used. You must be very patient with them or else the centre console, kick plates, etc will not go back as they originally were. I began looking at super glue even for some of them, but that's stupid for later access. Some clips you can replace, cheap as chips, but other fittings would require a whole new facia panel or whatever it's called.
Please be super careful removing the centre console, especially the little lip piece over the top storage bit and the two screws behind it.
Good luck.
Oh gawd! now I don't know what to do.
Old 4th September 2018, 18:15   #27
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Mark, go to the Nano, they will help you, nothing broke on mine and it was done really quickly.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 19:57   #28
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Mark, go to the Nano, they will help you, nothing broke on mine and it was done really quickly.
Hi Dawn nice to talk to you thanks for the reply, looks like I may haveto. I may go on the Sunday if possible, see what er indoors says and if she wants to come or not.
Old 5th September 2018, 17:26   #29
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

My advice is don't do it yourself if you have a bad back!

My carpet was wet in three footwells, seriously heavy. Left it in the living room to dry for a couple of weeks, which didn't impress my housemates I was living with at the time

Seats are heavy too, ordinary torx bit did work for me to undo the seat bolts but apparently they are technically TorxPlus.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 19:08   #30
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
My advice is don't do it yourself if you have a bad back!

My carpet was wet in three footwells, seriously heavy. Left it in the living room to dry for a couple of weeks, which didn't impress my housemates I was living with at the time

Seats are heavy too, ordinary torx bit did work for me to undo the seat bolts but apparently they are technically TorxPlus.
When you think about it if the carpet is that heavy that's a lot of weight for the car to keep lugging about. Must be like carrying 3 passengers around all day.