Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th September 2018, 08:02   #61
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Mark.
You are only about 40 minutes from me drop me a PM and lets see if we can arrange an hour on Sunday Morning to have a go at getting the seat bolt out, I also have several spares cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 09:12   #62
mgzrjake
Loves to post

MG ZTT 135+ diesel, MGZS 180 saloon MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
Prepared to try anythin now, I suppose I could cut it off underneath the runner leaving the round head of the bolt cut off and the body of the bolt still screwed into the floor. Then fasten it back down with just 3 bolts instead of 4
yes no maybe or definitely not?!
No, it was cut it, remove seat then remove the rest of the runner with ease due to the fact you have a lot more room to work in not bolt it back down with 3
mgzrjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 09:38   #63
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Mark

I thoroughly recommend you take up Artics offer he's very experienced with our cars and removing bolts !

Scott

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 18:30   #64
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
So what’s stopping you Mark ....

Definitely not Mark. That is a terrible bodge. Go and wash your mouth out with Gunk at once!

Simon
Sorry yes you are right. Slight moment of madness there! Well it is starting to drive me slightly crazy, I even went to bed last night thinking I might cut the seat out and cable tie a stool in there to sit on. MG/Rover cars do that to you don't they?
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 18:42   #65
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgzrjake View Post
No, it was cut it, remove seat then remove the rest of the runner with ease due to the fact you have a lot more room to work in not bolt it back down with 3
Only joking about the 3 bolts, even I wouldn't do that. well not always.
Old 12th September 2018, 20:50   #66
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
I even went to bed last night thinking I might cut the seat out and cable tie a stool in there to sit on.

You’re not going mad Mark. We are all faced with these apparently insoluble problems which lead to all sorts of irrational thoughts. It’s amazing what a new day can bring: inspiration, a new idea, confidence.

Winston Churchill said this:

“Never give in, in anything, great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

That was in 1941 when this country was fighting for its life, alone. It’s hard to imagine the stress that Churchill must have been experiencing isn’t it.

So don’t get into a state about your mangled bolt!

Simon
Old 12th September 2018, 21:33   #67
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:

You’re not going mad Mark. We are all faced with these apparently insoluble problems which lead to all sorts of irrational thoughts. It’s amazing what a new day can bring: inspiration, a new idea, confidence.

Winston Churchill said this:

“Never give in, in anything, great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

That was in 1941 when this country was fighting for its life, alone. It’s hard to imagine the stress that Churchill must have been experiencing isn’t it.

So don’t get into a state about your mangled bolt!

Simon
Its just frustrating want to get on with it. Cant wait to get that carpet out and mop all the water up. Im sure even old Winston would have had his patience tested by the ZT on more than one occasion ha ha.
Old 15th September 2018, 18:41   #68
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Mark.
All those frustrations should have left you by now after we mange to remove the round out ribe/torx bolt.

The first photo is of my own car which i took Friday before Mark and i arrange a time for today to sort out the seat bolt, i made up a tool from a thread tool to see if it could be knocked into the rounded bolts and get it to turn that failed take note the seat fixing and it's head on my car 2002 MGZT 190

We also tried knocking in my Torx50 + in hope it would create a good enough grip to get the bolt turning once again failed, therefore i turned to the old fashioned way small cold chisel on the edge of the bolt after a few blows it started to turn i continued around the head of the bolt, then Mark took over and out it came, he was given a new bolt which was tightened up, he could now go ahead with his plan to remove the seats from the car and remove the carpet to clean up the water and damp from the floor pan.

The culprit bolt below note how it was chiselled around it's edge thus helping it to be remove, at the same time you can see it as a larger head than mine in the first photo Marks' car being a MGZT 190 2004 plate.

Therefore it looks like the later type have this larger head ribe bolt whereas the earlier ones have a smaller headed bolt which is a Torx50+

It make it harder to tap round the edge of the bolt in the runner as there is limited space.

Hopefully we will see some photo's of Mark's seats out of the car tomorrow, no stopping you now mate Arctic

PS also managed to sort out his gold resistor at the same time.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th September 2018, 21:07   #69
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
... therefore i turned to the old fashioned way small cold chisel on the edge of the bolt after a few blows it started to turn ...

Well done Steve! I am particularly pleased that the successful method was similar to that which I suggested earlier in this thread (post no. 41).
Quote:
PS also managed to sort out his gold resistor at the same time.

Simon
Old 15th September 2018, 21:23   #70
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:

Quote:
Well done Steve! I am particularly pleased that the successful method was similar to that which I suggested earlier in this thread (post no. 41).

Simon
HI Simon.
Yes the groove was very slight that was done by Mark is his attempt to remove, you can not really get an hack saw in to cut a decent groove.

So it was case of cold chisel round the edge, even then it still took the best part of 50 minutes, so not a quick fix and does test your patience, after while Mark was able to put a flat bladed screw driver into the rounded hole and it mover quite quick from there & out it came.

ad altiora tendo.