Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd October 2018, 22:37   #1
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Default Traffic Light Cameras

I have just returned from an evening in Newcastle, a place I rarely go & fairly unfamiliar traffic systems which seem to be constantly changing. Problem is I have been flashed by a traffic light camera, there were so many signs I missed them completely, did stop when I realised but well over the line, hence the flash. Trust me to choose the one with a camera attached!

I have been on line to check what happens next but it's conflicting information. Seems most likely £100 fine & 3 points. Anybody experience this? I've had a clean licence since the 1970s so it has spoilt an otherwise good night out.
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:25   #2
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

It's no comfort, but the City Council have probably had to find a new source of revenue since they were forced to repay all the fixed penalties they gave out for drivers obliged to drive down a bus lane, because of bad signage near the Civic Centre. Thanks for the warning, - can you remember exactly where this was? Not been into the city for a while, but both my kids live on the outskirts.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 04:57   #3
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Red light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpwater View Post
I have just returned from an evening in Newcastle, a place I rarely go & fairly unfamiliar traffic systems which seem to be constantly changing. Problem is I have been flashed by a traffic light camera, there were so many signs I missed them completely, did stop when I realised but well over the line, hence the flash. Trust me to choose the one with a camera attached!

I have been on line to check what happens next but it's conflicting information. Seems most likely £100 fine & 3 points. Anybody experience this? I've had a clean licence since the 1970s so it has spoilt an otherwise good night out.
Hi
Ditto !
I have just hard the same happen to me (different area) .
The road conditions were terrible and the white stop line was not visible due to the amount of surface water .
The light was at red and my car can be clearly seen triggering the camera in the photograph by crossing the white line by a had a car with brake lights showing and no indicator on to turn left ,

The second photograph taken one second later shows the white line behind the car with brake lights still on and the left hand indicator flashing the car is now stationery having not gone through the junction and the front wheels being parallel with the traffic light .

So because of the road conditions I am now waiting for three points on my clean licence which has been that way since 1977 . I am aware you drive to the road conditions but i did'nt expect the white line to be to be that far behind the traffic light .

Clarification
If a camera was present you can expect a letter asking if you were the driver very shortly usually within 14 days,mine came after 3 days .
When the letter comes fill it in asap and ring the safety camera (ha ha) help line and they will give you the information on how to get the photographs (not supplied with out request)

You will be offered a driver's educational course if the red light was on for less than 3 seconds ( in my case the light was on for 15seconds ,but remember I did not go through the junction).
The offence carries a £100 fine and three points on your licence unless you wish to contest in court.
I spoke to a very arrogant woman yesterday who insisted I had gone through the light even though my front wheels are level with the traffic light mount , she flattly refused to discuss the matter so I asked to speak to a supervisor which also got me nowhere because the offence is commited once you breach the white stop line !

You can however go to court and try to plead special reason, this enables you to put your case and prove you did not go through the junction but as I said earlier the offence is not complying with traffic signals (crossing the stop line )

I am in the same position of not knowing which way to proceed .

Hope this helps
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 06:02   #4
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, you need to respond to the NIP asap or you could face 6 points and up to £1000 fine, the only defence is if the camera equipment was defective which you would have to prove. 3 points and £100 fine is normal.

There have been a few people killed here in sunny Hull where trucks frequently run the red lights, early morning is the worst time. You also fail a driving test for being over the stop line. IMO they should be on all traffic lights.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 06:28   #5
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Victimless crime, BIG business
Old 24th October 2018, 06:41   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

The best place for advice on this situation would be pepipoo.com
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 06:46   #7
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Curious where this camera is, I can only think of going into Gosforth
Old 24th October 2018, 07:47   #8
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

The camera was on the Gateshead side, I had just gone over the Tyne bridge heading south towards Durham, 10.30pm, not a car in sight. The lights were just past the flyover, the next one is Prince Consort Road where the Springfield hotel used to be. I think the line is fairly worn, do you think that might be a valid defence? I guess I was too preoccupied with not going in the bus lanes & took in only the Prince Consort Rd lights which were on green (they don't seem to be co-ordinated).

I think I will just have to pay up & take the points, if I'm offered a course then so be it
Old 24th October 2018, 08:33   #9
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Heres one for you then

It has happened a few times to me.

You wait until there is an adequate car length space on the other side of a yellow hatched 'do not enter unless there is space for you to exit the other side of the hatched box' at a junction.

Then as you move forward knowing that you will not stop inside the box because there is room for you to exit on the other side, a car on the outside lane speeds up crosses lanes and takes the space that you were going to drive into on the other side of the hatched box thus leaving you in no mans land inside the hatched area through no fault of your own.

It's happened to me a couple of times now and fortunately I haven't had a ticket ( due to no cameras I suppose) but if such a situation arose then I've no idea how you would explain your innocence in such a scenario.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 09:11   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what I think seems to be wrong is that the op did stop, ok not before the white line but did not proceed on his way and did stop.

I have no legal knowledge but if the amber light was not on for long enough for the op to stop before the white line and for this he would have to be at or below the speed limit then I would query the ticket if one is received, I would also query the ticket on the basis that you did stop.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote