Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2018, 18:21   #11
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I thought that too but she thought different
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 18:43   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
The first owner bought the 135 remap from new, I declared that to LV without them increasing the premium. Personally I would never remap to 160, especially an old car where the components have years of wear.

remember the chassis , braking and most of the suspension components are similar if not the same as those on other cars 1.8t and one of the 2.5s are 160 from the factory . You simply do not have to use all of the power if you dont like or want to, but at least you know it is there for when you need it (merging, overtaking etc.)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 21:00   #13
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Good thread - many thanks - my take is that good insurance companies/brokers don’t have an issue with modifications as long as you are honest and have a good claims history- i.e - not a lot of claims!!

Nice to see that reality is rising to the top on the forum as it wasn’t so long ago that total dipsticks were openly advocating re maps and more and NOT telling their insurance companies because “how would they know?”

The fact that they had advertised what they had done to their cars on here did not seem to breach their little bubble world.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 00:22   #14
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm just wondering how long my DMF, clutch, or drive shafts would last if I remap from 115 to 160bhp. Insurance extras would be the least of my worries. Anyway, I've got used to it being a Slowver.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 04:44   #15
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My 3 are all re-mapped. No increase on the insurance.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 11th November 2018 at 04:46..
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 12:23   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I'm just wondering how long my DMF, clutch, or drive shafts would last if I remap from 115 to 160bhp. Insurance extras would be the least of my worries. Anyway, I've got used to it being a Slowver.
that's a good point, I didnt consider in my response above simply because I have an auto lol. However, I imagine the clutch would be fine unless you did a lot of 'traffic light racing'.

I also would have thought you would read a lot about premature failures of the clutch if there was an issue on this forum. But it seems the weakness is the master and slave cylinders (or rather their components) which prompts premature clutch replacement whilst replacing the master, and these are not affected by extra torque.

DMFs are documented for being long lasting, even with a remap.

Likewise with the number of remapped cars on this forum (and others), topics on driveshaft failure are rare. Any failure, due directly to a remap, I would wager would be down to driver input issues (hitting kerbs and wheel spinning etc).

Incidentally, dont think of it as 115-160, the components are the same for the 135, so the tolerance difference will be lower than you fear. I would wager also that the designers of the drivetrain, expected to be getting at least the 160 BHP that the M47 was expected to give in the BMW fit variants. So designed margins of error into it for above that figure.

I do not have the '160' remap by the way, but I do have a remap, and the extra torque it provides (which is what will do any potential damage) is lower down the rev range than before, making it more beneficial for overtaking and merging in traffic than before. It also gives me a little buzz when I do a bit of what I call 'christian racing'. (pulling away from the lights, when the car selects second gear, boot it to the speed limit, and get pushed into my seat, then cruise. It satisfies the boy racer in me lol)

The crank though, from what I have read, is the only potential weak point on our cars, but this has been considered and allowed for with the 160 map. But it will all come down to mechanical sympathy. But like any other vehicle, if you 'rake it stupid' you will have premature failures. My main concern when considering a remap was for tyres. I am generally very considerate on tyres, as these are what you will likely replace more often. But have just replaced my tyres after 3 years and 24000 miles. I am not concerned any longer lol. In saying that, the ones that I replaced with, are considerably better in terms of grip, so the first set were I guess a much harder compound that the new ones.

Allay your fears by finding someone willing to let you try one. A remapped car is not a 'screamer'. I believe the remap transforms the car into what it should have been, had BMW not demanded a restriction to prevent competition on its own brand.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 15:04   #17
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

DMF & Clutches tend to suffer if the mapper adds too much too low end ie ~1000-1500rpm

As above, drive shafts don't seem to be much of a concern on these. Most of the CDT/CDTi owners are running relatively "low torque" 260-280lbft and some more highly tuned will run 300-310lbft without issue.

Have heard people talk of the limits of the crank, but have only seen one documented failure. If I was to put the blame on something to cause the failures it would be to do with dampening. Not the suspension but the engines torsional vibration dampening which is built into the DMF and crank pulley. Being cast it won't deal with this as well as a forged one in theory, although if the DMF and pulley are in good condition it should be golden
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 19:15   #18
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I agree with the information about how do you know if it has been remapped?

Just over a year ago, I bought a Chrysler 300c which has a remap from 218 hp to 262 hp. The dealer was unaware.
I only picked it up because of a badge, which led me to have a look in the engine bay and found the box. Many people just wouldn't know.

Incidentally, as it was a factory approved dealer fit option, there was no increase in the insurance premium.
I had something similar last year when I bought my CDT - a couple of days later I noticed the Xpower 135 sticker.

I explained to the insurer, Peter Best, that it had the genuine Rover upgrade not an aftermarket remap and they listed it as a 131 model with no premium increase or fee.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote