Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th November 2018, 18:56   #1
El Borracho

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Moving car with broken coil spring

I've got a broken front coil spring. Fortunately it happened when the car was parked up as the spring is sitting on the tyre - I've only found out about the protectors in the last couple of days
Unfortunately the car isn't at home so I need to get it there (on a tow truck obviously!!) But, I need to get it onto the tow truck then into my drive at the other end.

Is there any way of lifting the spring off the tyre so it doesn't catch as I would rather not have to replace it if I can help it - or do I just bite the bullet and hope for the best?

I'm not very familiar with broken springs as I've only had 2 previously in 35 cars - had one fixed & sold the other.

This also answers the dilemma of whether to take the car off the road when the MOT runs out. I had too many jobs to do anyway so I'll put it in the garage & take my time!
El Borracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 19:02   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Borracho View Post
I've got a broken front coil spring. Fortunately it happened when the car was parked up as the spring is sitting on the tyre - I've only found out about the protectors in the last couple of days
Unfortunately the car isn't at home so I need to get it there (on a tow truck obviously!!) But, I need to get it onto the tow truck then into my drive at the other end.

Is there any way of lifting the spring off the tyre so it doesn't catch as I would rather not have to replace it if I can help it - or do I just bite the bullet and hope for the best?

I'm not very familiar with broken springs as I've only had 2 previously in 35 cars - had one fixed & sold the other.

This also answers the dilemma of whether to take the car off the road when the MOT runs out. I had too many jobs to do anyway so I'll put it in the garage & take my time!
I am not sure if this will help but could be worth a try.Do you have the standard space saver wheel as a spare ?If you have try changing it for the standard road wheel The space saver is narrower in width and may just clear the broken spring enough to get it onto the two truck

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 19:16   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

When one of my front springs broke it too settled on the tyre, the only solution I could think of at the time which would save the tyre was an angle grinder. I had a spring compressor to take up the slack and cut a few inches off the broken coil and then removed the tyre.

Mind you I never had to move the car as it happened in my driveway.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 19:49   #4
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

When my o/s coil spring broke on the M6 and took the tyre out, I put the spacesaver on and drove around 400 yards on it into Knutsford services. The spring was rubbing on the tyre wall but didn't puncture it, so you might be OK getting it onto the tow truck.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 20:02   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

As Vitesse says, chop off the protruding piece of spring using an angle grinder, then pop on a space saver, all will be well.
Old 28th November 2018, 20:11   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Just lately Lidl have been selling a cordless angle grinder. Great for cutting off broken springs or even wheel clamps----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 21:37   #7
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

If its of any use, a decent tow truck will have a trolley that they can put under a wheel so that it does not need to rotate.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 16:35   #8
El Borracho

Rover 75 Saloon

Some useful ideas there. I'm sure it's got a full size steel spare but I'm not so bothered about the tyre on that so might just swap it. Or go to lidl for a cordless angle grinder! Cheers
El Borracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 19:14   #9
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

If you remove the wheel you may find that you can't get full sized wheel back on as the spring will drop. A space saver will work if you smear the inside of the tyre with washing up liquid so it will slide against the broken spring. I know as I've done it to load one of mine onto a truck a long time ago.

If i'm called out to a broken spring in my work patrol van, I fit transportation blocks to the strut to take off the weight, then fit our emergency spacesaver with a spacer which normally leaves a good gap away from the spring and drive it to the garage.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 20:09   #10
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

My previous 75 broke a front spring while parked on the 2nd floor of a multi-storey car park.
The breakdown truck arrived but obviously couldn't get to me. I jacked the car up and the spring moved from the side-wall to the top of the tyre. As I couldn't do anything else with it, I lowered the car and drove it out like that. It sounded and felt dreadful but I made it down the ramps and on to the lorry. Half way home we had to switch lorries. I was sure my luck would run out but it made it off the lorry and on to the next one. Once home, the lorry wouldn't fit down my drive so I again drove it with the broken spring resting on the top of the tyre.
Once home I could swap the spring. There was no sign of anything more than rubbing on the tyre, I swapped it to the rear but it was fine.
I was amazed that I got away with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150110_001.jpg (139.1 KB, 15 views)
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote