Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th August 2020, 10:43   #31
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Just announced the Tuesday meeting has dropped the over 50s isolating plan after a massive backlash, but the possibility of pubs closing in the future and further restrictions are still on the table so that schools can reopen. Local lockdowns with travel bans in and out of them are also still a possibility to fight, what is considered by the advisors, a second wave that could be more devastating than the first.

Many are however questioning things. In Leicester the rates of the virus has been high as we know causing the lockdown there, but the mayor and Doctors have said hospital admissions and deaths were low and hadn't increased significantly as you would expect. Last night a Bradford health worker in A&E in response to the rates in the city increasing said that there hadn't been any admissions or deaths for Covid 19 in the last week. Are these rises therefore seen due to better and increased testing so actually showing the incidence of the disease has always been higher than thought and more have had it but show no or mild symptoms?

I suppose only time will tell, but if the government want people to keep to the rules maybe they have to be more open with the figures but at the same time tell us why it is important to do what is being asked. Accept the the advice being given to get back to the daily announcements and keep us all up to date and better informed to get the messages over. That way some of those posting in the media now outright rejecting of the rules because they see a conspiracy or think its no longer a severe risk to them will look again.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 12:31   #32
mbev51
Banned

Removed

It’s being reported that the R rate is worryingly now over 1!
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 16:21   #33
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Still in the range of 0.8 - 0.9:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 17:14   #34
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

The number of cases has increased in the past month but hospital admissions do not appear to have (yet) risen in line with that.

Perhaps the increase in cases is being driven by younger folk who are less cautious due to the lower risk to themselves?

This of course following pubs opening and being able to meet in other's homes.

So maybe these people getting infected now are going to be less ill than those in March/April, due to being younger (if that is the case now)?

And might this not actually be helpful in a way to help build up a bit of herd immunity in part of the population that is at far reduced risk of dying/severe complication/chronic resultant problems?

Just (half-priced) food for thought.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 17:24   #35
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Published figures to date:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 17:50   #36
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Published figures to date:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Compare the UK and Spanish figures, UK 89 and 670 cases, Spain 26 and 5760. Doesn't seem right.
Old 4th August 2020, 19:42   #37
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
It’s being reported that the R rate is worryingly now over 1!

Let's examine that sentence shall we Michael ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Government line
The UK estimate of R is the average over very different epidemiological situations and should be regarded as a guide to the general trend rather than a description of the epidemic state.
**Low case numbers and/ or a high degree of variability in transmission across the region means these estimates are insufficiently robust to inform policy decisions.
Estimates of the growth rates and R are currently updated on a weekly basis. However, as the numbers of cases decrease, these metrics will become less helpful indicators and other measures need to be considered.

So reading between the lines, the R rate is not used to shape policy, and it usage as an indicator of transmission of covid19 is not particularly reliable.

The figures for the north west region encompassing your home town vary between .8 and 1.1, which if you look at it dispassionately are as follows.

You are looking at an increase of 1% or a decrease of 5% depending upon which part of the region in which you live has the highest proportion of testing.

Now how you choose to interpret that is normally a reasonable indicator of your typical state of mind, and how positively you view life, I for instance would look at those figures and interpret them as a good thing, as there is a higher swing toward the decrease in transmission.

Would you agree?

I'm not one for hand wringing, and prefer to enjoy life from the positive point of view.........as glib as that may appear to some, it certainly works for me.

Chris
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2020, 06:59   #38
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Let’s just wait and see how this pans out over the next 6 months.
Old 5th August 2020, 07:06   #39
mbev51
Banned

Removed

An interesting article in the Telegraph about the lack of border control allowing thousands in with the virus. If you look at my past posts you will see I was talking about that at the time.
Old 5th August 2020, 07:52   #40
Borg Warner

None

Reading through the government's flu plans the closing the ports would have little effect as the virus was already in place.