Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2021, 09:23   #1
mgzrjake
Loves to post

MG ZTT 135+ diesel, MGZS 180 saloon MK2

Default Help needed starting issue MG Zt diesel Mk2

Mgzt cdti auto. Mother went to start it and it turned over for fun, nothing. Remove fuel pipe running into top low pressure pump fuel arrives after a few cranks. Replaced it car starts drive it about park up and left for 30 minutes try again and it’s not starting just as before ? So what’s the issue fellow Zt diesel owners.

Thank you
Jt
mgzrjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 10:37   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Non starting on a diesel can be a few different things, but I always start with the basics checking the fuel pressures are ok. If you have toaf then fuel pressures are much easier to check.

How much fuel is there in the tank?

Assuming you have the 3 pump system (in tank pump, under bonnet low pressure pump next to the battery and high pressure pump) when the in tank pump fails and your fuel level drops below 1/4 mark it can struggle to start or run. Eventually once the fuel drops low enough it'll cut out completely and not start again.

If the fuel pressure from the in tank pump is fine then a weak under bonnet pump can cause starting and running issues. Giving the under bonnet pump a few taps with something metal can get it going again. Wonder if removing the fuel line from the under bonnet pump may have got it going again hence why it started.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 12:26   #3
mgzrjake
Loves to post

MG ZTT 135+ diesel, MGZS 180 saloon MK2

Default Re reply

Hi Rick the car has a full tank of fuel. Not sure on 3 pumps thought they had just 2 tank and in between battery and engine. This is where I removed fuel pipe from the back one, crank it and after a few moments fuel appears replaced it and it started 1st turn. 1/2 hour later back to square one cranking not starting.
mgzrjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 13:09   #4
bandayho

rover 75

Default had a similar issue

starting problems can be a cam sensor, i just bought a new one and it all worked only paid £13.99 from ebay
bandayho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 23:35   #5
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgzrjake View Post
Hi Rick the car has a full tank of fuel. Not sure on 3 pumps thought they had just 2 tank and in between battery and engine. This is where I removed fuel pipe from the back one, crank it and after a few moments fuel appears replaced it and it started 1st turn. 1/2 hour later back to square one cranking not starting.
When the key is turned to position 2 the pumps should prime the system so fuel should be coming out of the line without cranking the engine. It sounds like either 1 of the pumps are failing(more likely to be the in tank pump) or there is a pressure leak or air blockage in the system. This could be in the fuel filter depending on how old it is and can be checked by simply removing the exit pipe from the filter and priming the system. If no blockage then the fuel should run out straight away. If it doesn't then the problem is in the filter and it needs changing.
Of cause I could be totally wrong about everything.
Old 17th February 2021, 06:15   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes fuel should start pumping around the LP circuit as soon as you turn the key to position 2, and should keep pumping for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on which ECM is fitted, if you don't start the engine.

So there is a fault on the LP fuel delivery side.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote