Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th August 2021, 19:28   #21
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
I have no issues with anything you say
The tyres are on order, all 4.
The brakes will be sorted once the tyres are on as I can't drive the car with the 'dangerous, do NOT drive' flag.

It's just the arrogance of them
You can if you want to, there is nothing a mot station or garage can do to stop you.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 21:52   #22
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
You can if you want to, there is nothing a mot station or garage can do to stop you.
This is correct, it’s just how the wording is on the certificate.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 13:18   #23
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post

The refusal states 'do not drive until repaired (dangerous defect)'
How would I get on if stopped by plod driving a car that an MOT tester has declared DANGEROUS?

My understanding is upto £2500 fine + bucket of point (followed by insurance £'ssssss more)
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 18:37   #24
sln8458
Gets stuck in

I decided that I will drive the car, to get the tyres, based on:
1/ I do not believe the tyres are dangerous, but def advisory's.
2/ Based on 1 above, if plod do stop me going to get the tyres, what is you opinion officer of the tyres? (flame suit on).
3/The mot tester said we can drive the car to get it fixed, and also listed the tyres as having 2mm tread depth on the 'health check'.

Brakes sorted today, removed both calipers and gave a cleanup all round, everything moving freely, new pads, check fluid, £25.

New tyres Wednesday, 4x AVON ZT7 £186 fitted, then ready for the re-test.

I make that £211 all in, a little saving of £500, thank you
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Last edited by sln8458; 9th August 2021 at 18:43..
Old 11th August 2021, 09:33   #25
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I suspect the police will just check up on the MOT status and take it as read if you get pulled. I would concur that 1.6mm is too little tread depth on modern wider tyres. I had a loan Rover 45 from work and was driving home in the rain and every time I drove through even a small puddle of water I was getting a thump through the steering on exit. The tyres were aquaplaning even at 25/30 mph in town . Fortunately there was the tyre renewal authorisation in the car so took it to the tyre dealer and both fronts were on 1.6mm . New tyres , no thump. I now change mine at 3 mm

Last edited by RoverP480; 11th August 2021 at 09:43..
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2021, 14:35   #26
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

I would get a tracking check done at the same time as the new tyres are fitted to stop the new ones wearing the same way, hopefully
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2021, 15:55   #27
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
I would get a tracking check done at the same time as the new tyres are fitted to stop the new ones wearing the same way, hopefully

Yes that is a good suggestion, but I'm not sure if my daughter will listen!?
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 11th August 2021, 18:08   #28
Greysterling

Rover 75

Default KA mot test failure on tyres

Recheck Gov.UK 5.2.3. Tyres, scroll down to Tread Depth,just above diagram 1 are a couple of paragraphs you need to check carefully. Namely 'Either side of the central three quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread('bald')'.
The previous para indicates a min of 1.6mm tread depth etc etc. See diagram. This applies to the KA (passenger veh with a max of 8 pass seats, excl drivers).
Halfords would not be my choice!
Greysterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2021, 06:21   #29
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysterling View Post
Recheck Gov.UK 5.2.3. Tyres, scroll down to Tread Depth,just above diagram 1 are a couple of paragraphs you need to check carefully. Namely 'Either side of the central three quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread('bald')'.
The previous para indicates a min of 1.6mm tread depth etc etc. See diagram. This applies to the KA (passenger veh with a max of 8 pass seats, excl drivers).
Halfords would not be my choice!

Thanks
I have downloaded a copy and printed that very section out, currently kept in the car for the trip for the tyres.

That was why I went back to Halfords to speak in person with the examiner, but couldn't get passed the receptionist!!
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 13th August 2021, 06:46   #30
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Whilst it really makes no difference, the MOT at the F1autocenter here in Norwich said he would have passed the tyres with an advisory.
Anyway the new tyres are on and re-test booked for 10:30 today.
I got them to check the tracking, no prizes that it was out.
Had trouble with the NS track rod, I'm giving it a wash/soak in WD40 as I ran out of Plusgas, Finishing the tracking next Tuesday.
Rear seat cup holders.