Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th October 2021, 14:00   #1
cantabro75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn SE 2004

Default Rover 75 V6 2.5 Auto.Gentlemen your opinion please

Hello Gentlemens
Th Spanish social comunist govermament is now in a full speed crusader against diesel cars ( and cars in general , and all individual thinking, etc)
My 75 2004 diesel cars is still in very good condition with 265.000 klm on the wacht, but from next year he will not be able to go in certain citys.
So, i was thinking to add a new member on the garage a petrol one better. I was also loking at Jaguar STYPE 3.0 V6 but his maintenance cost has put him aside on my mind.
So a 75 v6 2.5 automatic ( full options)can be very nice option, a post 2001 must be to get the B grade to allow you to keep driving a few years more,,i hope.
Whats your experience on this model? i have never drive one but must be a wonderfull car No so complicated as SEEMS to be the Jag 3.0, not so fast sure but,,,who cares about if I must drive maximun 40 klm hour in the city and 90 or 120 on th road..
Your help is more than wellcome, and many many thanks to all
Old 17th October 2021, 14:19   #2
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I just bought a ZT 2.5 auto for partly the same reason - didn't want to end up in a situation where I'd invested in the bodywork on my 75 diesel then have to pay charges if I wanted to nip into Liverpool or Manchester a couple of years down the line. I need to get the VIS motors sorted and just had to do the thermostat but other than that I'm really happy with her - the V6 sounds awesome and it's all MG Rover instead of half German. Only issue is she drinks the petrol so I'm going to convert to gas. The computer says 25mpg but my own calculations suggest more like 22 - I don't floor it all over the place but I don't take it easy either. Mine just had the belts done when I bought her which is good as they're pricey if you're not doing it yourself. I'd say go for it!
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 15:53   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

With the exception of the slight thirst for petrol as noted above , there is nothing not to like I have had the same 2.0 v6 for 16 years now ; if there was anything bad about it I would have moved on long before now .
The v6 makes a gentle growl which is really nice to listen to , and in my view is the engine to have . Mine is a manual gearbox and not quite as thirsty as the auto , but if auto is your thing then I will admit they are a nice drive .
There is a big maintenance job now and again to replace the cambelts ,but no bigger than many other jobs on cars and at least it can be done , unlike many throw-away parts on modern cars . If you are a home mechanic , it is actually a joy to work on this engine
You say you need a 2001 or later to meet some rules ; I would suggest you look at the mk1 cars up to about 2003 rather than the later "facelift" mk2 versions as they have a bit more retro style and in my view feel of better quality ( ) . Your own 2004 model is probably the mk2 ?
Hope you find what you want , and enjoy it
Old 17th October 2021, 17:27   #4
cantabro75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn SE 2004

Yes right mine is mk2 and yes for the v6 i am thinking no a mk1 versión ,yes more clásic😏 and If posible with sun roof ,all the Rover we have had from the 80 to 2004 (when i bought the 75) have had sun roof !
Old 17th October 2021, 18:06   #5
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

My contribution to your question is based on the fact that I have owned a Rover 2.5 V6 manual previously and now have a 2.0 V6 auto and also have a Jaguar S Type 3.0 auto.

How do they compare? - well the Jag is certainly the quickest and quietest of the three and just as economical as the Rovers. Maintenance cost can be high and I have probably been lucky having spent about £1000 on mine since buying it 3 years ago so not too bad in my book.

Handling and ride are quite similar with steering lighter in the Jag and it has slightly more powerful brakes but not that much different.

Bodywork is lasting well on both cars but the Jag and the Rover both have problems with rotten sills as they get older (perhaps not a problem for you in Spain?)

For me, they are both great cars and I love the character and charm of them
compared to newer bland looking offerings from current manufacturers!

Best of luck with your search.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote