Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th October 2021, 21:00   #1
dave1850
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default MoT Query

Hello
My 1.8T passed its MoT yesterday, with just a few advisories, but importantly no fails.

One advisory concerned slight misting on the rear OS shock absorber. My question is - rather than replacing just the one, should I replace both rear shocks at the same time?

The other advisories concerned corrosion of those upper rear suspension arms...

thanks
Dave
dave1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 21:01   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Always best to change in pairs, may as well attack the suspension components whine you have it up in the air
Old 30th October 2021, 21:05   #3
dave1850
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks very much for that. I'll make sure I change both sides. And the arms.
Dave
dave1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 07:27   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1850 View Post
One advisory concerned slight misting on the rear OS shock absorber ... should I replace both rear shocks at the same time?
The question doesn't really arise at present Dave. Advisories are merely observations. "Slight misting" on a shock absorber is common. It will probably stay like that for many years. You will know when the shocks need replacing (in pairs) because the ride will be unmistakenly hard or bouncy. Until then, leave well alone and save your money!

Simon

PS The same goes for the arms. Surface corrosion is to be expected; many cars have it. Your car would have failed the MOT if the tester considered the corrosion to be potentially dangerous.

Last edited by SD1too; 31st October 2021 at 07:30..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 10:21   #5
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The question doesn't really arise at present Dave. Advisories are merely observations. "Slight misting" on a shock absorber is common. It will probably stay like that for many years. You will know when the shocks need replacing (in pairs) because the ride will be unmistakenly hard or bouncy. Until then, leave well alone and save your money!

Simon

PS The same goes for the arms. Surface corrosion is to be expected; many cars have it. Your car would have failed the MOT if the tester considered the corrosion to be potentially dangerous.
Totally agree, for the last 3 yrs I have had advisories on slight wear on suspension bushes and swivel joint, I'm still getting advisories but the old bus still flies through the MOT.....as the old adage goes "Do not panic air mechanic" ,as stated by Simon nothing will go wrong, you will save a packet, and when the fail comes if it does come, see to it then. Equally as was advised to me ,take it to an MOT station and not a service garage,MOT stations especially the Gov units ,are not out to make a profit, but just to check vehicle MOT status. All the best Derek
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 10:45   #6
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

My Rover Sterling had the MOT advisory "rear shock absorbers have a light misting of oil" for eight MOTs in a row but they worked as they should and I never changed them.

I think some garages believe that it shows diligence on their part to include some advisories because I've had advisories on things which the MOT doesn't even cover.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 10:54   #7
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

You only really need to worry about advisories when you get one like this...

Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote