Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd November 2021, 08:11   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The Renault dci engine family is only used in the P-class Mercedes cars. The P-class resides at the lower end of a number of other Mercedes smaller class of cars.

Key: P = Peasant

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:45   #32
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The Renault dci engine family is only used in the P-class Mercedes cars. The P-class resides at the lower end of a number of other Mercedes smaller class of cars.

Key: P = Peasant

Earlier I suggested that a good sign for common issues, is when you go to a scrap yard for a part, only to find them all in a faulty state - perhaps I should have said to ask your valet if he noticed such an issue

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 14:57   #33
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
The comments on Mercedes parts departments gave me a laugh. It brought up a memory from the 1980's when I worked at a small independent British Car shop. We usually only worked on Brit cars but did mechanical work for a body shop down the street. One day they had us working on a Merc, and I was sent to the dealer to pick up the parts. I remember walking in to the parts department in my greasy coveralls and the partsman, in his crisp white shop coat looked me up and down like I had come off the bottom of his shoe and asked (or stated) in his best German accent; You, are working on a Mercedes?

That one always makes me laugh when I think of it.
Yeah, I think Brit cars have always been a bit more oily but that's because we didn't have Uncle Sam's dollars to re-build industry after 1945 when all our tooling would have been worn out.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 18:33   #34
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

How about this one, one of the Wifes friends has a 2018 Mini, it needed new rear brake pads as a warning a message came up on the dash. She rung the dealer and they had quoted about £200 plus the VAT as it would need new sensors. The worse part was she could drop it in and they would get it done by the end of the day so she would have to arrange a lift or wait.

She asked me if I could do it and of course I said yes. Mintex pads and a sensor were ordered from my local factor, this cost me £32 including the VAT and it took me about an hour.

OK they were not genuine BMW parts but considering they would have done it a lot quicker than me that is a crazy difference, as a bonus her friend not only paid for the parts but put an extra £50 in my hand.

The biggest problem I had was resetting the warning, there was several menu's I had to go through but eventually I did it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 20:17   #35
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
How about this one, one of the Wifes friends has a 2018 Mini, it needed new rear brake pads as a warning a message came up on the dash. She rung the dealer and they had quoted about £200 plus the VAT as it would need new sensors. The worse part was she could drop it in and they would get it done by the end of the day so she would have to arrange a lift or wait.

She asked me if I could do it and of course I said yes. Mintex pads and a sensor were ordered from my local factor, this cost me £32 including the VAT and it took me about an hour.

OK they were not genuine BMW parts but considering they would have done it a lot quicker than me that is a crazy difference, as a bonus her friend not only paid for the parts but put an extra £50 in my hand.

The biggest problem I had was resetting the warning, there was several menu's I had to go through but eventually I did it.
When I read the first sentence Steve, I thought 1 hr. labour = £100 + parts + tax.
So, for a franchised dealer that is not too bad. We have to remember it is no longer slave labour for dealer staff and the work forces of companies making parts.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote