Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2021, 12:35   #11
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I'm not a fan of EVs by any means, but I do think in this instance they have got it right. If I lock my '75 and lose the key, I'm stuffed, but with an EV there is at least an alternative method of entry (the app).

If the EV owners found themselves stranded because the app failed, it's their own fault for not having the key with them as backup .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:45   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I'm not a fan of EVs by any means, but I do think in this instance they have got it right. If I lock my '75 and lose the key, I'm stuffed, but with an EV there is at least an alternative method of entry (the app).

Quote:
If the EV owners found themselves stranded because the app failed, it's their own fault for not having the key with them as backup .

Cliff
Cliff in that statement, it means you need to know what common sense means and how it works, some do not have any

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:56   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post

Cliff

I agree. In the same way as both our keyless entry cars have mechanical keys stored within the keyless transmitter.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 14:03   #14
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Hi to you all, this is neither a rant or criticism but pure fun and it certainly makes me giggle from time to time.
So I have had the pleasure of owning MG and Rover products over a number of years, and was blessed with some superb vehicles with technology beyond the time of their concept which still works and in many ways featured in more modern cars, but in todays demands they seem to be old fashioned. Over complicated systems have emerged into production and harness the user of such systems as totally incompetent. We have many examples of (I cannot drive systems) for example electronic parking brake, brake system hold, driver assist, cars that park themselves, keyless systems - the list seems endless.
But in the news, we discover a whole new concept that changes everything basic, into a complex nightmare. Now this made me laugh so much :
So you no longer need a key to use your Tesla car. Great ! However the lazyness has caused significant impact to the fashion of trying to be a "Flash Harrry" in your state of the art motor. So the app failed hundreds of users causing issues beyond our normal imagination. So for me, I get my KEY, unlock my front door, cross the threashold of the property, close the door and put this centurys old device into another device, turn it and the property becomes secure again. How satisfying it is ! For centuries we have managed to carry keys quite comfortably and confidently, they even offer the mind a level of security and confidence that we can access our property/equipment with ease and confidence, but his seems no good to the new aspiring EV owner, a key ? So funny the thought that a driver of a car with his Iphone that has failed as they are renoned to easily do both for old and new handsets, could indeed prevent the wheels from turning ! What is wrong with these people, why no key for your car ? Do they need an app to lock their house when they go to work ? All I can say is, I laghed so much when I saw the news article regarding these poor modern idiots left stranded with no access to their fab car !
To conclude this post, I wonder what chance these drivers would stand driving a proper non tecnical car, maybe a Lada Riva, series 2A Land Rover, both of whch are examples of robust reliable built to last vehicles (If looked after properly)
So - Just in case I have missed something out -
You need a charged up car to drive it, and a charged up mobile phone to get into it and drive it, mobile data to communicate and blutooth connections ETC to operate it and the app fails, then you need a taxi or public transport to get home to get your KEY, then return to the stranded advanced technological vehicle and manually interact with it to get into and maybe try driving it back home to put you key in the front door to unlock it again ?

WOW FANTASTIC, Wake up lazy people, old fashioned stuff still works ok !
All great fun, no doubt!, but wait until artificially intelligent machines start to appear and do the things that humans do, you know the every day things nothing advanced or complex!, how long do you thing it will take these AI machines to figure out that humans, that is to say, ALL humans, are in fact NO LONGER required, what do you thing is going to happen then, all kinds of games can be played out, and humanity goes the way of the dodo, a sort of typical flow diagram of events would be, man appears on earth, man treats everything on the planet with contempt, man thinks he is clever, man introduces technology he cannot control, technology takes over, man becomes extinct.

Last edited by grivas; 23rd November 2021 at 14:05.. Reason: spelling
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 16:10   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
But in the news, we discover a whole new concept that changes everything basic, into a complex nightmare. Now this made me laugh so much :
So you no longer need a key to use your Tesla car.
What does one do now? Whereas once we could have an evening of enjoyment if we tossed our car key into the bowl!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:22   #16
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
What does one do now? Whereas once we could have an evening of enjoyment if we tossed our car key into the bowl!

Kev
Write down your IP address and throw that in

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:37   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I do accept one drawback of technologically advanced cars - the human reproduction for which cars like the Ford Cortina were a key platform may not be possible unless those indulging are happy for the DVLA and possibly the whole world to watch.
Old 23rd November 2021, 20:41   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

From my point of view, I am a Luddite. My mobile phone needs coal putting on it my friends tell me. I say in return, and when was the last time you had problems with your phone? Like last week when I phoned you and your phone was at wherever you originally bought it for ‘putting right’. My phone allows me to :- phone, send text and I can get on the internet if desired.And has not had any problems so far over around 10 years.Todays incomprehensible search for the most up to date phone, costing the Earth in the process, makes me think of all the people who suffer from ‘stress’. Cars:- they are getting more complicated with all the gimmicks they have fitted. A recipe for you to keep putting your hand in your pocket. It’s a wonder they have not got an ‘app’ for replacing your money back into your pocket. Bah humbug.
Old 24th November 2021, 09:42   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
No I dont reckon any of what you say is correct,its all because 50% plus of them are fat and the clothes dont fit because they buy the size they think/hope they are. You see Ravinder I do understand.(and I feel much better now) Chris.S.

Chris, your post is so politically incorrect. We do not have fat people - they are people of lower lightness.

Also, you got my name wrong again. I guess we all look the same? To keep you happy, I am just going to call myself Ravinder.
Old 24th November 2021, 20:04   #20
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

...One of the problems with car keys is that a lot of modern clothing is tight, figure hugging and designed to accentuate the natural form of man or womanhood. What sort of an idiot would wish to ruin that by putting a bunch of keys in their back pocket?

So many old fashioned Luddites just do not get the opportunities offered by modern technology nor do they understand how it actually works....
I have to agree with Maninder on this as we need to look forward and embrace new technology.
The trouble is with you load of luddites, , is that you see this:-

Whereas I would prefer to see this:-

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote