Notices

Old 1st December 2021, 21:18   #21
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Are you using an open fire or an enclosed burner, I fitted a log burner three years ago and I fuel it with Supertherm brand coal, I put a small bucketful on in the evening and it's still glowing when I come down at 6.30am. The main part of the warmth is under the register plate and feeds the house nicely, the chimney in the upstairs bedroom acts as a ten foot radiator with the slow burn of the coal, it's so warm that on winter nights I'm pushing off the covers sometimes. You can also stand a thermal fan on top of a burner to channel warmth around the lower rooms if you choose.
Enclosed burner. We do still have some glowing in the morning but let it go out. Apparently some coal burns hotter then others, we must have one of the others

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 06:36   #22
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Smile

Most houses are powered by gas, oil, coal, LPG and electricity.

Has anybody here experienced a gas supply cut as a result of a storm or electricity failure ?

I would suspect not, as there is always a substantial amount of gas in the pipes, keeping supply going, even if local gas pumping stations suffer electricity cuts.

And if you have oil tanks, they take weeks (if not months) to empty.

Coal can last weeks.

So the killer issue is lack of electricity to run the essentials: gas or oil central heating, water pumps, fridge freezers, LED lighting, broadband and mobile phone chargers.
(Corded phones, remember them, do not require mains power, and have no batteries to run flat.)

As I understand it, wind and solar inverters require an existing mains supply before they will feed power into the wiring. So they are of no use in a power cut. And generators require refueling every ~4 hours (and should be stopped, while being refueled with explosive petrol).

So the trick is a continuous supply of electricity, in the ~<500W region, to run the essentials.

A mains inverter (1500W pure sine wave continuous output) and a couple of 130Ah lead acid batteries can keep the essentials going for several days, for a cost of ~£210, and can be recharged from your Rover 75 (other cars are available ) assuming you have a reasonable amount of fuel in it, and a set of jump leads.

As long as the mains isolator is turned OFF, the inverter output can be fed into any 13A socket, powering up all the essentials.

Obviously electric ovens, microwaves, electric kettles, washing machines, dishwashers, etc, are unusable, but in my opinion, not essential. Toasters are doable.

(PS Mobile phone charging doesn't even need mains power, a cigar lighter socket in your Rover 75 can charge a phone in less than 2 hours, without taking much power from the battery.)

(I noticed that somebody complained that their electric toothbrush was unusable, during a power cut. I really do wonder at people nowadays ! Toothbrushes are available !)

Last edited by MarkS; 4th December 2021 at 07:55..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 10:13   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post

(I noticed that somebody complained that their electric toothbrush was unusable, during a power cut. I really do wonder at people nowadays ! Toothbrushes are available !)

To be fair it does depend on the purpose to which the electric toothbrush is employed. I derive pleasure from just holding one in my hand - cleaning the teeth is just an added bonus. Under some circumstances people could be deprived of their usual lifestyle and wish to report to emergency services on 999. We must not prejudge based on assumptions.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 10:34   #24
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Just had a conversation with a farmer who tells me a contributor to the problem is the fact that many posts in rural areas were rotten and went down. We are now told another storm is coming. Good Lord deliver us.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 10:53   #25
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Just had a conversation with a farmer who tells me a contributor to the problem is the fact that many posts in rural areas were rotten and went down. We are now told another storm is coming. Good Lord deliver us.
I thought Ireland and perhaps West Coast were to bear the brunt.

macafee2
Old 12th December 2021, 11:45   #26
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Question Other problems when losing power

People are installing electric garage door openers, which, with power loss, are keeping their (all-weather, 4 wheel drive) cars in the garage.
In addition, people are abandoning all home phones with cords, which will continue to work during power cuts, unlike cordless home phones.
And some people are swapping their PSTN phones for VOIP phones, which rely on mains power to their broadband connections.

I think people, in the countryside, reliant upon power, coming over overhead power lines, need to seriously consider their options, in the event of power loss. Overhead power lines will always be vulnerable to bad weather. And multiple faults increase the time to repair.

This can be easily simulated, by switching OFF their mains electricity, and see what is left working.

Being prepared for a power loss will dramatically reduce the impact, if a power outage does occur, rather than just going for the cheapest, or more 'convenient' option.

Be prepared.

(And keep a manual toothbrush to hand !!!)
Apologies if I seem to lack sympathy.

Rant over

Last edited by MarkS; 12th December 2021 at 12:04..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 13:37   #27
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
People are installing electric garage door openers, which, with power loss, are keeping their (all-weather, 4 wheel drive) cars in the garage.
In addition, people are abandoning all home phones with cords, which will continue to work during power cuts, unlike cordless home phones.
And some people are swapping their PSTN phones for VOIP phones, which rely on mains power to their broadband connections.

I think people, in the countryside, reliant upon power, coming over overhead power lines, need to seriously consider their options, in the event of power loss. Overhead power lines will always be vulnerable to bad weather. And multiple faults increase the time to repair.

This can be easily simulated, by switching OFF their mains electricity, and see what is left working.

Being prepared for a power loss will dramatically reduce the impact, if a power outage does occur, rather than just going for the cheapest, or more 'convenient' option.

Be prepared.

Rant over

Recently BT have asked its customers to plug their phones into the router from now on, try explaining that to an 87 year old with no power, gas or other means to heat the house.

In the naive rush to get rid of gas, coal, wood burners, banks, cash where does that leave these poor souls in northern climates?

Btw, the battery power for the telephone exchange only seems to last around 24 hours on its own, then no matter what phone type you have the line goes dead.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones as I have a generator, I could live quite comfortably for days on end, the only thing missing was the phone and internet, no great miss tbh. Not Surprisingly my house was full of the family all moving back home, was nice to be together again.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 16:57   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Recently BT have asked its customers to plug their phones into the router from now on, try explaining that to an 87 year old with no power, gas or other means to heat the house.

This is only if the customer has a Smart Hub 2 and has been migrated to the digital voice service as part of a migration away from PSTN voice.

Everyone else - you can not do the above.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 21:40   #29
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:

Be prepared.

Rant over

those that have broadband and fibre, will their pstn phone still work off of the telephone exchange 50v power supply?

macafee2
Old 12th December 2021, 22:15   #30
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
those that have broadband and fibre, will their pstn phone still work off of the telephone exchange 50v power supply?

macafee2
See post #27