Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2021, 10:41   #1
sylvester
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Don't know which way to turn!

My hand brake is not holding too well. I installed the uprated compensator as sold via this Forum some time ago which sorted things but its now in need of attention again so I'm going to adjust the brake shoes. I've done this before but can't remember which way to rotate the screw adjuster as its not easy to see what's what!
To push the shoes further apart do I push the adjuster over or under?
Trial and error would tell me but I recall that its a slow process and I would prefer to spend as little time in the cold as possible!
Regards
Ed
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 11:17   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Ed.
It should be rotate upwards to close the shoes onto the drum, use a flat bladed screw driver through one of the wheel stud holes, usually at about 11.00,oclcock and 1.00 oclock.

First adjust the front cable nut to the end of it's thread, then adjust at the rear, best to lock the drum, then back them off a little until you feel them dragging by hand on the drum.

Once you feel you have them both the same then adjust front cable nut so there is 25mm of thread showing of the top of the nut.

If you have never removed the drum disc then i would say that it would be a good idea to, that way you can clean the drum out, and also clean the brake shoes and back plates.

This will remove any dust build up within the drum and around the shoes.

Scrap the back plate and paint them.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 11:29   #3
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

just corrected our Nigels handbrake for mot but its always been soft so after setting it up as described by arctic above I had to put a couple of washers on the cable bolt holding it onto the handbrake as the cable was stretched a little. Relatively new shoes and new disc/drum the washers worked a treat pulling the cable a few mm tighter now got 4 clicks solid handbrake.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 4th December 2021 at 11:39..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 11:58   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post
just corrected our Nigels handbrake for mot but its always been soft so after setting it up as described by arctic above I had to put a couple of washers on the cable bolt holding it onto the handbrake as the cable was stretched a little. Relatively new shoes and new disc/drum the washers worked a treat pulling the cable a few mm tighter now got 4 clicks solid handbrake.
have you replaced the compensator with a modified type or is it the original design? From your description I would look at the compensator for being stretched.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 12:06   #5
sylvester
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Ed.
It should be rotate upwards to close the shoes onto the drum, use a flat bladed screw driver through one of the wheel stud holes, usually at about 11.00,oclcock and 1.00 oclock.

First adjust the front cable nut to the end of it's thread, then adjust at the rear, best to lock the drum, then back them off a little until you feel them dragging by hand on the drum.

Once you feel you have them both the same then adjust front cable nut so there is 25mm of thread showing of the top of the nut.

If you have never removed the drum disc then i would say that it would be a good idea to, that way you can clean the drum out, and also clean the brake shoes and back plates.

This will remove any dust build up within the drum and around the shoes.

Scrap the back plate and paint them.

Many thanks for your prompt response - the photo of the shoes and adjuster are self explanatory. The drum has never been off so I'll take your advice and remove it first and give it all a good clean out.
It surprises me that the shoes wear given that they are not used to retard the car - simply to prevent the wheel from rotating once the discs have done their job.
Ed
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 17:09   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just to confuse things a little. Arctic is quite right that you move the adjuster up to open it. That is of course as long as nobody has fitted it the other way on, ( with the adjuster to the left)
then the opposite is true.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 17:27   #7
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
Many thanks for your prompt response - the photo of the shoes and adjuster are self explanatory. The drum has never been off so I'll take your advice and remove it first and give it all a good clean out.
It surprises me that the shoes wear given that they are not used to retard the car - simply to prevent the wheel from rotating once the discs have done their job.
Ed

When you have the discs off you might find a mess to sort out be warned. The back plates do corrode and the holes that the pins go through that hold the shoes on become to large due to said corrosion. Washers can fix it but best to think about renewing the back plates long term if you have that sort of dilapidation to deal with.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 10:40   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post
just corrected our Nigels handbrake for mot but its always been soft so after setting it up as described by arctic above
Quote:
I had to put a couple of washers on the cable bolt holding it onto the handbrake as the cable was stretched a little.
Relatively new shoes and new disc/drum the washers worked a treat pulling the cable a few mm tighter now got 4 clicks solid handbrake.
HI John.
As above it will be the compensator that as stretched not the front cable or the rear cables as they are to robust to stretch, i have not seen any cables stretched in the last 11 years since doing HB

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 10:48   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I remove both rear discs and inspect and clean the brake shoes and drums then set the adjusters before every MOT.

Bit of Copaslip on the wheel contact points ensures they come off easy next time round.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 11:02   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I remove both rear discs and inspect and clean the brake shoes and drums then set the adjusters before every MOT.

Bit of Copaslip on the wheel contact points ensures they come off easy next time round.

I have just done the same prior to the MOT and its a straightforward DIY job which should be done by as part of routine maintenance.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote