Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th December 2021, 11:57   #11
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

3 months and 2k miles later and no further problems.

Metal master = rubbish.
New original plastic master = no problems at all.

I hope it lasts. I am very worried about the new SACHS (with LUK label) slave cylinder failing however, as so many others have.

Last edited by ashy90; 5th December 2021 at 19:36..
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 12:03   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Despite all the promises related to the alternatives over the years, the Luk slave has been the one that has been shown to last.

I would put my money for the small number of failures of Luk slaves on the skill applied in fitting.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 18:00   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Despite all the promises related to the alternatives over the years, the Luk slave has been the one that has been shown to last.

I would put my money for the small number of failures of Luk slaves on the skill applied in fitting.
You've got to be joking! Clutch hydraulic failures were commonplace from factory fit and main dealers, and they should and did know how to fit them. Maybe some haven't been fitted correctly aftermarket, but cheap and cheerful design is the root problem - Rover should have done so much better since they decided to fit a concentric cylinder inside the bellhousing.

The friction plate should be the thing to wear out first on the clutch, not the hydraulics. If either the master or slave cylinders failed before the pads wore out on the braking system we would all be up in arms, so why put up with that happening to the clutch hydraulics?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 18:34   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

My comment was in relation to Luk vs other slaves of the same basic design i.e. the original design. The original design is what it is. Personally, I don't have an issue with a clutch hydraulics design that lasts circa 100k miles and 10+ years. It's not as robust as other/traditional designs, but the design is what it is.

If we go back 4-6 years on the forum, so many were pushing their favourite alternatives to the Luk slave and they have all proved to be inferior and fallen by the wayside. The onle exception being the original AP slave. Hence my comment about Luk.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 19:45   #15
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:

I'm not sure that all the failures can be blamed on fitter error. Sure a few perhaps due to poor or heavy handed fitment, not cleaning things up enough etc. but not all of them. Why would it be any different to fitting a new clutch on any other car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
You've got to be joking! Clutch hydraulic failures were commonplace from factory fit and main dealers, and they should and did know how to fit them. Maybe some haven't been fitted correctly aftermarket, but cheap and cheerful design is the root problem - Rover should have done so much better since they decided to fit a concentric cylinder inside the bellhousing.

The friction plate should be the thing to wear out first on the clutch, not the hydraulics. If either the master or slave cylinders failed before the pads wore out on the braking system we would all be up in arms, so why put up with that happening to the clutch hydraulics?
I also cant fully agree with you Mike either. I have never known personally of a factory fitted slave fail early, and 10 years ago replacement slaves were no problem either. But the last 5 years or so is a different story. There simply must have been a drop in parts quality. Unless its down to the vehicles being older and the DMF having more play.

In fact there was a fleet of 75 diesel taxi's near me. Several manual's with 150k, 200k + miles on original clutches. All gone now. There was still one in use 18 months ago but havn't seen it since. I spoke to one of the drivers in his Toyota Avensis a few years ago and asked where all the 75's went. He said the 75 was the best taxi he ever had, but he spent £1k changing the original clutch only for it to fail 6 months later.

Last edited by ashy90; 5th December 2021 at 19:49..
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 20:08   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
If we go back 4-6 years on the forum, so many were pushing their favourite alternatives to the Luk slave and they have all proved to be inferior and fallen by the wayside. The onle exception being the original AP slave. Hence my comment about Luk.
Well they are the best of a bad bunch then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
I'm not sure that all the failures can be blamed on fitter error. Sure a few perhaps due to poor or heavy handed fitment, not cleaning things up enough etc. but not all of them. Why would it be any different to fitting a new clutch on any other car?

I also cant fully agree with you Mike either. I have never known personally of a factory fitted slave fail early, and 10 years ago replacement slaves were no problem either. But the last 5 years or so is a different story. There simply must have been a drop in parts quality. Unless its down to the vehicles being older and the DMF having more play.
My own car, from new suffered clutch hydraulic failure at 80 odd thousand miles, and again at 118k miles. Both times repaired by a well respected and well established main dealer. A lot of those miles were on the motorway too so the clutch wasn't being used as it would be around town.

You could argue it's the way I drove it, but I'm very mechanically sympathetic to the car, and haven't had any similar trouble with anything else I've driven over the last 40 years.

As for replacing the DMF it is simply a case of measuring the axial and radial play and if either are outside the set limits then replace it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote