Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2007, 20:04   #11
rovermech
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default ABS Brakes

I have never had any problem with bleeding ABS brakes by the foot pedel method, I have the engine running to give a signal to the ABS and then bleed
1 o/s/f 2 n/s/f 3 o/s/r 4 n/s/r always by opening the bleed nipple.
If you force the fluid back through the system you risk reversing a seal in the ABS or m/c
rovermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 20:26   #12
Mr.Ian
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Does the rover 75 only have 4 bleed screws??
Only asking as i've bled brakes before (at each wheel) and found there's still air trapped in the system, found on a few cars they have a bleed screw on a load valve also (that cuts pressure to the rear brakes during light load conditions).
Just a thought
Mr.Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 18:52   #13
Owen

Rover 75 CTDi Tourer

Question Soft brake pedal

I too have the same problem. I also replaced the brake pads, then fitted a new master cylinder, bled the system twice and now have a rock hard pedal when the engine is off and no servo, which would indicate to me that all the seals should be ok. However, when the engine starts and the servo kicks in, while the brakes work, it is possible to press the pedal to the floor as if the master cylinder is faulty! The handbrake warning light is now also staying on and it is not the handle at fault and I am occasionally getting the short brake fault message. I have road tested the brakes at 50 - 60 mph and they and the ABS certainly work. Confused!!!!
Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 19:06   #14
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

You didn't do anything else when you were working on the brakes did you?
I always thought the servo used some of the vacuum generated by the engine to assist the braking. If the vacuum is venting to air somewhere you will loose some of the servo assistance.
I know this can happen on some cars as it did with my Honda a while back but I don't know about the Rover/MG.

On the Honda I had a broken breather hose in the engine bay. Hardly any affect to the engine but massive to the brakes.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 19:53   #15
Owen

Rover 75 CTDi Tourer

I seem to have too much servo assistance!
Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 20:03   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The sinking brake pedal phenomenon has been discussed several times and no logical explanation has been forthcoming. Here's an example thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...inking+feeling

However, the effect is so widely reported, I've come to the conclusion it's actually normal. Provided the pedal is hard and unyielding with the engine off, the slow sink under servo assistance seems to be something these cars do. I don't think it's unique to 75s/ZTs either. Some people report similar behaviour in other makes. I don't believe there's a connection with brake bleeding. I think the phenomenon gets reported when people are servicing the brakes. At other times the effect is simply not noticed.

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 20:34   #17
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Can it be common to diesels because it uses a pump to create servo vacuum rather than engine vacuum. My impression is that the pedal sinks a bit further after the vacuum starts to build up again, after you've invariably emptied the servo vacuum during bleeding.
It doesn't actually get as far as the floor does it? And you certainly don't ever need to push the pedal that far down to effectively stop the car from speed, or indeed pass an MOT brake test, so I also concluded the phenomenon was "Normal"
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 21:47   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Can it be common to diesels because it uses a pump to create servo vacuum rather than engine vacuum.
The source of vacuum isn't relevant to the phenomenon. It does appear to be servo related, but not model dependant. No, the pedal never goes right to the floor, but far enough to make you worry when first found. I worried about it at first, but I'd forgotten about it before reading this latest thread. My 1.8T does it, but the braking is superb.

Last edited by T-Cut; 11th March 2009 at 21:50..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 22:09   #19
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The source of vacuum isn't relevant to the phenomenon. It does appear to be servo related, but not model dependant. No, the pedal never goes right to the floor, but far enough to make you worry when first found. I worried about it at first, but I'd forgotten about it before reading this latest thread. My 1.8T does it, but the braking is superb.

Agree, the first few times you come across this, its a worry.

disclaimer - this is only my opinion btw whilst discussing safety related concerns.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 07:27   #20
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Do not know what the internals of a 75 master cylinder are but on the older type of cylinder, when the pedal is up the piston in the cylinder is pushed back by a spring allowing passage of fluid from the reservoir in to the chamber. When the brakes are applied the piston moves forward and there is a seal that prevents the fluid being pushed back in to the reservoir so that the only place it has to go is along the lines to the wheels. This seal can fail thus alowing the fluid back in to the reservoir under braking. Hence this does not give rise to any reduction of the level in the reservoir.

If the main seals on the piston fail then fluid would leak past this seal and drip down inside the car with an on-going lowering of the level in the reservoir.

Paul
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote