Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2008, 15:00   #1
steve001

rover 75 cdi auto

Unhappy changing battery without power loss

hi guys, need to change the battery on my 75 but don`t have the code for the radio so just wondering if there is away to change a battery without losing power to the car( i assume that the radio is coded on a 2002 75 steve
steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 15:38   #2
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve001 View Post
hi guys, need to change the battery on my 75 but don`t have the code for the radio so just wondering if there is away to change a battery without losing power to the car( i assume that the radio is coded on a 2002 75 steve
Sometimes the code is written on the unit itself, so if you can pop it forward carefully and have a gander.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 15:50   #3
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Steve, do you have any of the original paperwork for the car? I found just last night that I have a small credit card-shaped card with the code written on it in amongst all my dealer paperwork and stereo bumph etc. I have the Kenwood set-up in my ZT so that may be something to do with it but it's worth a look.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:02   #4
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

You need another car or battery and a set of jump leads. Connect both cables to the battery or second vehicle, then connect the positive cable to the Rovers positive battery cable (RED), connect the black lead to the engine block. It's now safe to remove your battery without the car being starved of power.
tigerchubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:11   #5
ColinW
Regular poster

R 75 Club CDT Auto

Quote:

Yes there is, very easy. Get some jump start cables with clips. Connect your new battery to the old one while it is still connected in the battery tray. ie connect it across the clamps on the battery terminal, such that you can pull them of the posts. Lifting the cables clear of the battery box, lift out the old one. Keeping the clips attached to the new one (and the old one), lift it in. Put the battery connections on top of the new post, and remove the jump cable clips whilst pushing the clamps down the post, one at a time. Tighten clamps.

Dont forget red to red & black to black, or you'll get some v big sparks.

Colin
ColinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:39   #6
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

On the older (1990abouts_) coded rover radios you could choose to ignore the code by some selection of the numbers. Cant remember how though, but it alllowed you to remove the battery and replace it .
I will have to look in the 75 handbook to see if its still possible.
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 10:07   #7
steve001

rover 75 cdi auto

Default changing battery without power loss thanks

hi guys thanks for all replies, had thought about the jump leads but just wanted to make sure. halfords had said there my be a power surge and could effect the ecu
steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 11:47   #8
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Quote:
hi guys thanks for all replies, had thought about the jump leads but just wanted to make sure. halfords had said there my be a power surge and could effect the ecu
I wish I had a pound for everytime I've done it. Years ago while on the spanners I remember notification from Tungstone batteries not to let the power fully down on Rover 800 series, due to some problem with ecu having to be reset if the battery was removed without a back up power source.

We then began to use a device with a 9v household battery connected to an adaptor which was then plugged into the Cigar lighter, we used it on all cars to save radio codes. Not seen one for a few years but should be easy to make using an old phone charger plug, wire and 9v battery.
tigerchubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 12:22   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchubs View Post
I wish I had a pound for everytime I've done it.

We then began to use a device with a 9v household battery connected to an adaptor which was then plugged into the Cigar lighter, we used it on all cars to save radio codes. Not seen one for a few years but should be easy to make using an old phone charger plug, wire and 9v battery.
This method works a treat so long as your Cigar socket is PERM live (not isolated by ignition switch)
Most 75's I think are perm LIVE (IRRC)

If not you can make a cigar socket PERM live if can locate the relay that feeds it and simply bypass the contacts with a small link. Check what else it might be supplying though.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 20:11   #10
Curious_Kiwi

75 Saloon

I also need to change my battery, so I guess it's off to Halfords tomorrow for a new one. Not much else open on a Sunday.

I have a battery charger, so could that be used to maintain power to the system while the battery swap is done?

Or would this fry the system without a battery to soak up the charge?

I also notice on Halfords web site that they have a "memory saver" for £11.99, but of course you need another battery to use this, and a permanently live lighter socket.

Cheers, Paul

PS. The battery that just died is a Yuasa with a Rover part number on it, so I guess it is probably original. If so, not bad to get 8 years out of it :-)
Curious_Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote