Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2017, 05:46   #1
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Breakdown cover?

It's renewal time again and the RAC are quoting almost £200 for breakdown cover, onward travel with a car and my car taken where I want which would be home etc.... I'm certain it was only about £140 last year so looking for other options. RAC covers the member not the car and it also allows cars over 10 years old which is three of my fleet. Any recommendations?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 3rd February 2017 at 05:52..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 06:07   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Do an online quote with RAC. It will be cheaper because they have a "special offer" on at the moment. Then phone up and suggest that you are being penalised for your loyalty.

I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago with the RAC and after the 2 minute call, the price I paid was the same as last year.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 06:21   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Do an online quote with RAC. It will be cheaper because they have a "special offer" on at the moment. Then phone up and suggest that you are being penalised for your loyalty.

I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago with the RAC and after the 2 minute call, the price I paid was the same as last year.
AA now wants 360 a year to cover me and the missus... will be cancelling...
Old 3rd February 2017, 06:37   #4
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
AA now wants 360 a year to cover me and the missus... will be cancelling...
When you phone up to cancel they will offer you a special deal. Have the details of what you paid last year. I have just done it for second year on the trot
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 06:38   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

As I have said on here before be very careful at just looking at the price of this service. I have a customer who went purely on price and ended up spending nearly a hole day doing a 4 hour journey because of a breakdown.

I do think £200 is ridiculous when it was £140 last year but even then it is still less than £4 a week and have you seen what it costs to get towed of a motorway?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:26   #6
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

I'm with Nationwide and for £10 per month have the Breakdown, Travel Insurance, Phone cover etc..

I know these Accounts sometimes get slated, but it suits us.

Have a look at the full details on their web site.

Good luck!

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:35   #7
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
It's renewal time again and the RAC are quoting almost £200 for breakdown cover, onward travel with a car and my car taken where I want which would be home etc.... I'm certain it was only about £140 last year so looking for other options. RAC covers the member not the car and it also allows cars over 10 years old which is three of my fleet. Any recommendations?
I am with Britannia Rescue, both my wife and myself are covered in any vehicle that we are travelling in, about £130 p/a. only had recourse t use the service a couple of times, once when my steering lock disintegrated, fortunately happened In a garage whilst filling up with fuel 4 miles from home, ended up being transported home.
Gareth
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:44   #8
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

I use the service with NatWest black account - £24 per month gives me breakdown with full roadside recovery to anywhere in the UK, home emergency cover, holiday insurance and access to executive lounges around the world. I have used all the above (with the exception of the holiday insurance) and have never experienced any problems whatsoever.
Last year, my son broke down in his mother's car on the motorway and was recovered back to a garage of his choosing with no quibbles at all - this would have cost around £300 from an independent operator.
I cannot recommend the cover highly enough.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:47   #9
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Get a comparable quote from the AA, plus a quote as a new member to the RAC.
Then phone the RAC, and say that you're leaving for the AA... they should drop their price pretty fast. If they don't, switch to the AA... sadly, loyalty doesn't pay.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:54   #10
tourer82
Regular poster

ZT 190 SE

I've used AutoAid for about six years now. They cover the individual and their spouse and I have been happy with the way incidents have been handled. Currently about forty quid. Do a search for them and see what you think.
tourer82 is offline   Reply With Quote