Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2018, 18:12   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Pooky Bear's 1st mini tour of the..................

......................................... Of the Petrol stations, going towards the West Country, starts tomorrow.

Matt and Shirley have kindly offered me some storage space at their place in Devon. Need to shift some of the boxes out of the flat as it's getting somewhat cramped. So in the morning I'll load the Bear up with as much as I can and trundle down at a sedate pace, as you would in a 400 BHP run-aound.

Need to get away for a few days as this flat selling business is starting to get me down, again. The mortgage provider/surveyor had booked to come and see the flat at 5pm today. But they phoned and cancelled as their appeared to be a discrepancy in the description of the flat. I have spoken to the buyer who has assured me that there is a mix up in the wording. He still wants to buy my flat.

I have an appointment with one of the estate agents I'm dealing with in Saltash on Wednesday. So hopefully I can get it all sorted.
Be nice to take the Bear down to the Saltash bridge via the tunnel, oh! The noise. And get some photography done.

So should you HEAR, or see us, as we travel down tomorrow don't forget to flash, toot or wave.
I'll keep the diary running as we still have our "fans" who follow our adventures.

Starting mileage 49,926

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th March 2018 at 15:13.. Reason: Adding mileage.
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 18:33   #2
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Safe journey Bob and enjoy the drive

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 18:45   #3
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Safe journey bob
Old 5th March 2018, 20:40   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Have a nice easy drive down in this weather Bob. I imagine you will be happy when it is all over.
Old 5th March 2018, 21:01   #5
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Have a safe journey... I was based down there for quite a few years and its a beautiful part of the country. My sister used to live in Saltash coincidentally and I've used that tunnel many times just for the accoustics

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 17:07   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The Bear done good....................

.............................................. Today on her trip down the West Country.

I loaded the Bear up this morning with boxes, carried them down the stairs and loaded her up. I had earlier moved from across the road to my side to aid the loading. Then round to the feed station for the Bear to put a Tiger in her tank.
Then we was off onto the variable speed M25.

Accident up by Maple Cross slowed me down, but other than that it was mainly plain sailing around to the M4. This is the first proper long journey I have done with The Bear since she came back from Retro Sports Cars back in January. Once onto the M4 I then began to really feel the difference in her. Kept her to her to 69.99mph(coff, coff) and she just cruised. A Rover 75 in White Gold breezed past, no wave or flash.

Caught up and overtook a Ignition Blue ZT, AV 05 ***. Saw some snow, well lots on the roadside. And soon onto the M5. Stopped at the usual staging post at Sedgemoor services. After I returned to the car I noticed that there was 4 Police officers looking at a Red BMW. It had illegal rear number plate as it was under smoked plexiglass, thus making the plate look dark. The young lady driver was arguing with the rozzers. They also pointed out to her that her rear wheels were outside the arches. One of the coppers managed to remove the plexiglass cover over the plate. But she got a ticket for the wheels plus they said the car would either have to have thinner wheels fitted or be trailered away. She was not a happy bunny.

I started the Bear and crept quietly away, well as quietly as I could. Soon we was cruising on our way. The fuel gauge had not reached the halfway yet, now that is a good sign. I stopped off near to my destination and refilled the tank, one job less to do tomorrow.
And then we was parking up outside Matt n Shirley's house. Matt was working on a Black ZTT, but stopped to get the kettle on. Tea and a chat before unloading the Bear. Shirley came back and helped before plying me with more tea, and a cake.

A friend of Matt's came round for some advice and saw the Bear, I thought his chin was going to land on the kerb once he realised what was under the bonnet. Once he had gone then more tea. Shirley was off out. Matt and I are off to the Coffee and Cars meet this evening.

So we travelled 238 miles and the mpg worked out at 24.7. Not bad for a car loaded up with heavy boxes and travelling rapidly where we was allowed to.

And Pooky Bear finally tripped over onto 50,000 miles. Tomorrow we get to see Banana. But before that I'm off to Saltash to see the estate agents and pop in to see Allen n Val, (Mr & Mrs Ratty), for a cuppa and a chat.
Matt is going to service Banana for me and then on Thursday she will go for her MOT at a local garage rather than me taking her up to MJS. If all ok then I may return home with her and leave the Bear with Matt.

onen hag oll
Old 7th March 2018, 06:42   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Coffee and cars...........................

................................ Meet up at The New Passage Inn at Kingsteinton every Tuesday evening come rain or shine. A few of the forum members attend, Nathancan, Neil 1, Daisy Dawlish, Cable Tie and me, when I'm in the area. Plus other local MG Rover enthusiasts come along as well, generally a good mixture of cars attend in the summer months. Plus it's child friendly. Pub and hotel are right on the banks of the River Teign.

So last night I attended with Matt riding as my passenger. Once we was inside and everyone learnt I had arrived in the Bear. It was not long before before I was showing people around my estate.................................... car!!!!
Again it amazes me the amount of people that do not know that these V8's exist. Then I had to start her up from her sleep. At one end you have the supercharger whistling a tune and at the other end the X-powers are keeping the beat.
Then with the bonnet open and a LED light shining on the engine, it was all oooh!!! And Ah's!!!

Soon we all returned to the pub where it was a lot warmer, being on the side of the river in early March there was a very cold breeze blowing. Nice hot coffee and a chat with like minded owners.
Then it was time to say our goodbyes and wend our way home through the town. The by pass is closed at night as they are doing bridge repairs.
With a bit of shuffling around we got the Bear parked up.

Today I'm off to Saltash, and doing a bit of Pony Express, delivering a 12 volt battery to Allen for his Toyota. Then into the estate agents for a chat. Hoping to meet up with another forum member, Oxford Blue. Then back to Matt n Shirley's where I will be reunited with The Flying Banana. Matt is servicing her ready for her MOT tomorrow.

onen hag oll
Old 7th March 2018, 19:51   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Got 5 viewings tomorrow plus.........................

.................................... Had a sort of a viewing today.

After a good nights sleep and a bowl of cereal I was already to rock n roll to Saltash. But first Bear was going to follow Grovey to the motor factors to collect Allen's battery, for his Toyota, and for Matt to pick up Banana service bits.
I loaded the battery into the boot and we was off. Soon onto the A38 and heading for Saltash.

I know I shouldn't but the kid in me wanted to. A trip thro' the Saltash tunnel. Windows down and we rumbled thro'. A quick burst up the hill and I pulled into the services. I phoned Allen and he said to come round and for me to park in my usual place by the garages. Allen met me and took the battery up to the car. Val had the kettle on. And a slice of home made cake was offered which Val had made before her holiday. Well, the time soon slipped by. More tea and biscuits, we chatted about there holiday and I told them about my current experience.

And before I knew it Allen plonked a sandwich in front of me plus another a cup of tea. More chat then I noticed the time and it was approaching 2pm. I still had to get to the estate agents and I still had to meet up with Matt aka Oxford Blue 75. So with our goodbye's I was off to the estate agents. Only went into the one place, Bradley's, and we had a lengthy chat about property. They had found 5 suitable properties and they booked them in for tomorrow. Before I went into the shop I left a message on Matt 75's phone.

Matt 75 then phoned me back whilst I was in the shop, which meant I had to phone him back yet again. After leaving the shop I phoned him again and left another message. Gave him 10 minutes then I decided as it was a nice sunny day I would take the Bear down to the Tamar under the bridge and get a few photo's. So as I drove down the High Street this stunning Blue 75 was coming up, he flashed his lights and we exchanged waves. A quick chat and I followed Matt 75 out onto the main drag.

Parked up and after a quick chat Matt 75 told me about a coach house with two garages and was possibly coming onto the market and he offered to show me where. So with the Bear following we went to have a look. Mmmm!!!! Very nice. But I'll look at the bungalow's first. So with a shake of hands we parted company, but after Matt 75 offered to show me how to get back to the main road.

So now heading back towards Newton Abbot on the A38, oh! And back thro' the tunnel. Windows down, but what could I hear? Mmmm!!! Another throaty exhaust. Once onto the bridge and towards the toll I noticed the culprit, a primer Grey 5 litre V8 FORD Mustang. I was in lane one and him in lane two. I Paid my £1.50, and he floored it up the hill with the Bear right behind. Think he was a bit surprised with me keeping up. He dropped into the left hand lane and I pulled up alongside. He glanced, smiled and then waved as I pulled away from him. He then dropped behind me.

We would have continued in a safe manner, not exceeding 69.9mph mark, but the traffic was all slowing. My lane came to a halt and the Mustang dropped back into the inside lane and pulled alongside. Windows down and the chap called across, "WFT!!!!! Is that the Mustang powered MG? I've heard but never seen one". My reply was, " Well this one has the Kenne Bell supercharger fitted".
The traffic was at a standstill and we continued to exchange pleasantries. But the traffic started to move on my side and I gradually pulled away. Never saw him anymore, probably turned off.

Soon I was pulling up back at base, Matt was getting on with the work on Banana. He had been busy all day and had neglected ole Yella. Never a good sign, and she fought Matt has he tried to get her oil filter off.
I went inside and showed Shirley the paperwork I had. Tea? Well it would be rude to say no, wouldn't it? Matt came in for his tea. Yet another forum member came round, Daznkel, to collect some parts.
Then it was dinner time, Chinese take away tonight. Then Shirley made the tea and yet more cake for me to devour.

Chillin' out now. Busy day tomorrow as my first viewing is at 10am and 2nd, both in Saltash. 3rd viewing is in Liskard, 4th in Plymton and last one in Plymstock. Somewhere in between I hope to get some photo's done of the Bear down by the bridge.

See you tomorrow folks.

onen hag oll
Old 7th March 2018, 20:22   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Ahhh, nothing like some good tunnel music - and in stereo, no less!

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 19:01   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Slept well and up early.......................

......................................... As we had our first viewing in Saltash at 10am. So after my cereal I was off. Matt was going to get Banana ready for her MOT, so wanted to be back in time to go with him.

The Bear got me to Saltash in record time and to our first bungalow. Very nice, room for three cars as well. Empty as well with no chain. Mmm!!!! I like.
Followed the agent round to the 2nd viewing. Wow! Stunning views. Lovely bungalow, really clean and tidy. Downside being only parking for one car with a 100% working handbrake. And the back garden was all uphill.

Now finding the 3rd bungalow in Liskard was a pain, where I was to meet another agent. I eventually arrived at the same time as furniture delivery lorry. As it was a cul-de-sac the turning round area was tight. So I started to reverse only to find the agent now had parked behind me. So I had to pull forward down a drive to let the lorry turn round. A woman came out and told me I couldn't park there as her daughter was expected and that was where she parked.

She also said that I should get that blowing exhaust fixed!!!!!! Once everything had settled and the Bear parked up we went into the property. Not bad, rear garden was terraced. Nice big garage with plenty of storage. Driveway long enough for 3 cars but not so sure about it. Some work needed.
Said my goodbye's and went to start the Bear up, was tempted to rev but the woman was watching me.

Now had some time to kill before viewing no.4 in Plymouth. So I stopped off at Kernow Mill for lunch and a wee. Popped into the Shell garage and topped the tank up on the very dirty and scruffy Bear.
Set the sat nav up for the route into Plymouth, and I still took the wrong turning. But it worked out ok and I parked outside the large looking bungalow, and I was on double yellow lines, not a good sign. The lines were on both sides of the road. The agent parked around the corner. Think I should have been told about the parking.

There was a fairly new Mercedes coupe parked on the drive. The owner let us in. As soon as I stepped over the threshold it was a big NO from me. But I still looked around. The owners parents had been heavy smokers and it showed in the property. Both the parents had gone into a home and the property needed to be sold. And it was over my budget.
I parted company with the agent and set off to Plympton for my last viewing. Mmm!!! Not really for me. Again the owner was there, the agent was late, but again another smoker. Had a look round but not for me. I would have to take the front wall out to get the cars in. The garage was about big enough for a couple of push bikes.

As I walked around the property, the agents phoned kept making that ker ching noise. He was bidding on eBay on a Omega watch. So he did not impress me either.
Headed back towards base in the Bear mulling over what I had seen. The first one I viewed was the best I liked. The last two were definitely were not on my wanted list.

Dropped into the car wash to get the Bear a quick clean. Not bad for £6. At least she looked Silver again. As I turned into Matt's turning I was blinded by the sun bouncing off of Banana. Matt had given her a Cherry Snow foam wash. She l'll oozed lovely. The service was done and after tea we would be taking her for her MOT, which she passed. ((See separate story)).
After we came back Shirley dished up a lovely curry and rice. Tea? Oh! Go on then. And a huge sticky bun.

Was going to travel home tomorrow but I'll stay over another day and have a bit of a rest. Believe me the 400bhp run around is not the best motor to go house hunting in. And the garage that mot'd 'nana want to see the Bear. Never give up the chance to show her off.

onen hag oll