Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd November 2008, 07:33   #1
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Default A technical query, but not MGR

Mods, would you move this if necessary, please, thanks.

Does nyone use or own a towing dolly, the "spectacle" type, with a swivel?

I need to know how the swivel "works". Is it on a bearing, or just well greased, either a tube jobby, or disc/disc?

I'm hoping to build a lightweight one just to tow the 3-wheeler, backwards, with the single rear wheel suspended.

TIA

malcolm
Old 2nd November 2008, 08:38   #2
rovermech
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default towing dolly

Hi
I owned a towing dolly for a good number of years when I run my garage business, one of the best things I ever bought saved me alot of money.
it was known as the inboard one the axle was about 4' long with pumped up tyre's the carriage frame swiveled round on a centre bolt I greased the swivel plates, when towing the dolly empty the wheel base was the widest part and ramps were fitted either side of the frame, to load a vehicle I removed a locking pin and swiveled the frame round and then replaced the locking pin so the frame could'nt move the ramps slotted into the frame, drive the vehicle up the ramps onto the frame or a none running vehicle I could winch them on, the wheels of the vehicle dropped into the frame then I put retaining straps round the wheel and frame, put the ramps to there traveling postion fit a towing board ( lights & No plate ) remove the locking pin so the frame could swivel and away I'd go.
My dolly did not have braked wheels and was legal at the time, I think the law as changed reguarding brakes you will have to check, you may be ok for private use but not for business.
rovermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:28   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovermech View Post
Hi
I owned a towing dolly for a good number of years when I run my garage business, one of the best things I ever bought saved me alot of money.
it was known as the inboard one the axle was about 4' long with pumped up tyre's the carriage frame swiveled round on a centre bolt I greased the swivel plates, when towing the dolly empty the wheel base was the widest part and ramps were fitted either side of the frame, to load a vehicle I removed a locking pin and swiveled the frame round and then replaced the locking pin so the frame could'nt move the ramps slotted into the frame, drive the vehicle up the ramps onto the frame or a none running vehicle I could winch them on, the wheels of the vehicle dropped into the frame then I put retaining straps round the wheel and frame, put the ramps to there traveling postion fit a towing board ( lights & No plate ) remove the locking pin so the frame could swivel and away I'd go.
My dolly did not have braked wheels and was legal at the time, I think the law as changed reguarding brakes you will have to check, you may be ok for private use but not for business.
Thanks, RM. I was hoping I wouldn't need a bearing, and your description "bears" this out.

Regarding the weight/brakes conundrum, AFAIK the "unbraked" limit is 750 kgs, and the JZR weighs in at less than 400. This leaves quite a margin for the dolly, so I hope it'll be OK.

malcolm
Old 2nd November 2008, 19:37   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

You need to be careful I thought of buying a dolly till I checked
They are not to be used for towing from A to B only for recovery

from
http://www.ttas.co.uk/towsafe.cartransport.html

"
There was evidence of much confusion concerning the recovery, as opposed to transportation, of cars.
The law considers any towed vehicle to be a "trailer". Thus a vehicle being towed with the aid of either an "A" frame or a towing dolly, is considered to be a trailer unit.
If the weight of the trailer unit exceeds either 750 kg, or ½ the weight of the towing vehicle, or the towing vehicle manufacturers stated unbraked towing capacity, whichever is least; then it is required to be fitted with brakes that operate on all wheels.
TTAS is not aware of an "A" frame unit that is able to effectively apply the brakes of the towed vehicle.
A towing dolly may be equipped with brakes, but only on it's own wheels, the other axle of the vehicle mounted on it will not have operable brakes - so by definition it is not a braked trailer - and should never exceed either 750 kg, or ½ the weight of the towing vehicle, or the towing vehicle manufacturers stated unbraked towing capacity, whichever is least.
Legislation does allow for the recovery of a vehicle, from a position where it constitutes a hazard, to a safe-haven. However, to proceed beyond the first safe-haven becomes transport, as opposed to recovery. In this instance a car transporter trailer is required, whereby the entire vehicle is carried upon the trailer (or towed vehicle) the trailers axle(s) being equipped with the requisite brakes.
There is an exception to the foregoing in relation to the legitimate use of recovery equipment by recognised Vehicle Recovery Operators, whose vehicles will usually be taxed accordingly"
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 08:35   #5
baxlin
This is my second home

Thanks, Keith, regarding weight, think I'm OK, as the 3 wheeler weighs less than 400kgs, so with the dolly, it will be well within either of the limits for braking.

But I'm slowly going off the idea, I think, because not only of the words of warning on here, but also from JZR club members who've been down this route.

I think the best thing would be to restore the trailer as a trailer, and hire a flatbed when I need to transport the JZR!

Thanks for the comments.

Malcolm