Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th November 2020, 07:45   #1
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 Saloon, Rover 75 Tourer

Default Private registration purchase

Hello all,
I am in the process of purchasing a private registration from one of the big registration sellers, the number is on retention held by a private owner so the company are acting as the middle man.

I have been asked to send in the V5 log book from the car I want the registration transferred to. I asked if I could deal with the transfer directly with DVLA and said that it would cause an issue of GDPR.
Does that sound right?

One other question, has anyone gone through the process of getting the original registration transferred back on ...were there any problems?

Thank you

Paul

Last edited by Swordy; 18th November 2020 at 07:47.. Reason: Correction
Swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 08:14   #2
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordy View Post
Hello all,
I am in the process of purchasing a private registration from one of the big registration sellers, the number is on retention held by a private owner so the company are acting as the middle man.

I have been asked to send in the V5 log book from the car I want the registration transferred to. I asked if I could deal with the transfer directly with DVLA and said that it would cause an issue of GDPR.
Does that sound right?

One other question, has anyone gone through the process of getting the original registration transferred back on ...were there any problems?

Thank you

Paul
i put a private plate on my BMW then when i got my rover i transferred the private plate to the rover and and transferred the original plate back to the bmw no problem
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 08:42   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Have you looked if the plate you want is available on the governments own website?

A lot of companies use this to obtain their registration plates, simply purchasing from the government then adding a "finders fee" onto the price before selling it onto you.

When I bought my plate, many moon ago, I was offered it at £800 plus £80 transfer fee from a "we sell plates" type company. I bought it direct from the government for £500 inclusive of transfer fee.

When you buy a registration number you should get a retention certificate, which from memory remains valid for 10 years, which allows you to transfer the number to a vehicle of your choice.
No everyone who buys a number plate has a vehicle they immediatly want it transferred onto.

As a word of caution these companies do not always own the number plates they advertise, or even have permission of the plate owner to advertise it.

A friend of mine has a 3 digit plate, xx1, which I saw advertised on the internet for a fee of £6000 - which for a 3 digit plate is mega cheap! When I next spoke to my friend I asked him why he was selling his plate, to which he replied "I'm not, but companies keep listing plates they don't have or can't get in the hope of selling you something when you contact them"!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 08:43   #4
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Quote:

Does that sound right?

Paul
Tell them that you don't currently have a car to transfer it to and see what happens?
Old 18th November 2020, 08:49   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Hello all,

I have been asked to send in the V5 log book from the car I want the registration transferred to. I asked if I could deal with the transfer directly with DVLA and
Quote:
said that it would cause an issue of GDPR.
Does that sound right?

Thank you

Paul
Hi Paul.
The part about GDPR does not sound right to me, as already stated above what if you are not ready to add the reg to a car yet, but want to purchase it for the future ? what would be there excuse then ask.

I took personal reg off the MGZT last year it is on retention for 10 years and would pay no other fee other than the £80 to hold it,

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 18th November 2020 at 08:53..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 09:03   #6
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

Default Thanks for your replies

Hi,
Thank you for all the replies, the number plate is not on the DVLA website , it is currently registered on a car, the private owner has it on retention.

I've checked it out, I couldn't find a way of contacting the owner directly.

The company did have contact but of course won't share any details. Hence why I think they won't reveal anything.

They said if I didn't want to transfer straight away they would hold the paperwork until I did.

Bottom line they want their cut of the money, I accept that as they are making the plate transfer possible

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by Swordy; 18th November 2020 at 09:06..
Old 18th November 2020, 09:15   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Sounds like they have got you over a barrel!

What happens if they are holding it and they go bust? Without a retention certificate you could never prove ownership.

When I last transferred mine across, I simply took my retention certificate and registration document of vehicle I wanted it on to the local DVLA office - there were offices then and it was in Chelmsford - and 15 mins later it was all done.
Old 18th November 2020, 09:18   #8
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Safer than to risk documents, I would ask to put it on retention, because then you are in control.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 09:24   #9
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Sounds like they have got you over a barrel!

What happens if they are holding it and they go bust? Without a retention certificate you could never prove ownership.

When I last transferred mine across, I simply took my retention certificate and registration document of vehicle I wanted it on to the local DVLA office - there were offices then and it was in Chelmsford - and 15 mins later it was all done.
Hi Steve,
They are saying they will get the paperwork from the owner and then transfer the registration to my car.
The company is National Numbers.

I know the transfer process is easy to do, unfortunately if they make it the only way to do ...to guarantee their cut.

Now you've got me concerned ...will I actually officially own the number plate at all....will they have some hand in it?

Paul
Old 18th November 2020, 09:39   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Paul.
Just been reading through their reviews and they seem to be good.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www...lnumbers.co.uk

That is if i have the right company.
https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/

Phone them with your concerns and see if they can answer your questions outright.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote