Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th October 2021, 18:07   #1
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts
Default 160 remap insurance

Trikey recently attached a spec for the M47R Common Rail Diesel engine that showed 114 BHP to 161 BHP. I have copied this but cannot recreate it on this post as I am technical numpty.
BMW, in their wisdom, restricted 75 and ZT to 114 and 131. This was to avoid those Marques from competing with the BMW rear wheel drive offering at 161 BHP.
PhilT4 or Marina Brian managed to secure the 160 BHP remap which transforms the Car. However Insurance companies only base their rates on OEM Spec.
Get a remap done and Insurance companies want to charge you more.

I would like to know how BMW M47R cars compare with a like for like quote.
Do we have anyone such as an Actuary in the Car Insurance business that could investigate this and persuade the Industry that there should be no difference irrespective of original OEM offering.
I live in West London north of Heathrow, currently insured by Adrian Flux. When I want to renew my Insurance I cannot get competitive quotes. Possibly due to Post Code. I know LV has insured another member living in the Countryside. Are there any other Companies that insure the 160 remap?
harrisop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 18:25   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

From my experience I could only find Adrian flux to insure my remapped car.

why do you think there should be no difference in insurance costs between a standard cdt/cdti and a remapped cdt/cdti? The CDT is a dog as standard.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 19:11   #3
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

MG Rover is also a defunct manufacturer whereas BMW is still a going concern. So l don't think insurance companies are going to make a comparison between the two.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 19:52   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post

Do we have anyone such as an Actuary in the Car Insurance business that could investigate this and persuade the Industry that there should be no difference irrespective of original OEM offering.
I live in West London north of Heathrow, currently insured by Adrian Flux. When I want to renew my Insurance I cannot get competitive quotes. Possibly due to Post Code. I know LV has insured another member living in the Countryside. Are there any other Companies that insure the 160 remap?
I can imagine Hayes being quite an expensive area for insuring a car. I originally lived in Cranford nearby. We were in TW5 whereas you are probably in UBx I suspect. Both are similar for insurance risk indicators.

You could go onto a comparison site and do an online quote on a BMW 3 Series of the same age as your car and see how it comes out.

Gut feel tells me that a mapped will be more expensive than an equivalent of the same power, age and vale.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 21:30   #5
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

A-plan insure my remapped ZT. My area is in the car stealers delight rating (F*) according to this https://www.theclayclothcompany.co.u...e-ratings.html. It's not that bad, touch wood. I'm sure the stats are the stats, but
Harrow postcode for you? Maybe an E rating?
I pay less than the cost of my kidney and much less than a non modified car with the usual suspects such as LV / direct line and the like. They want up to £600 and even £1200! More like a forget you price, we don't want the business!
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 23:00   #6
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
PhilT4 or Marina Brian managed to secure the 160 BHP remap which transforms the Car.
Brian and myself did thanks very much

Phil kindly applied the 160 tunes onto a disc so that they could be applied more easily via T4 and a configuration problem regarding cruise on the facelift manual cars.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 06:54   #7
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts

Sorry Russ got my guesses wrong. Thanks for putting me and the Community right.
harrisop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 09:24   #8
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Trikey recently attached a spec for the M47R Common Rail Diesel engine that showed 114 BHP to 161 BHP. I have copied this but cannot recreate it on this post as I am technical numpty.
BMW, in their wisdom, restricted 75 and ZT to 114 and 131. This was to avoid those Marques from competing with the BMW rear wheel drive offering at 161 BHP.
PhilT4 or Marina Brian managed to secure the 160 BHP remap which transforms the Car. However Insurance companies only base their rates on OEM Spec.
Get a remap done and Insurance companies want to charge you more.

Best thing to do is have a dyno run, get the accurate numbers the car is running and then present them with it. Best bet for accuracy would be to provide a printout. I am insured with esure and they haven't increase the premium on any of my mapped cars.

I am surprised insurance companies allow remaps to be insured without a printout as the estimated numbers can be way off. My 5 series that had the 3L M57TU2 engine responded incredibly well to a remap, it pushed out 60lbft more torque than estimated.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 16:55   #9
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Esure insured my 160 diesel - they couldn't wrap their heads around the whole 114 / 131 / 160 so it just went on as engine modification and added an extra £80 a year. My premium was about £530 fully comp for 15000 miles a year with business and I noticed Sheila's Wheels and one other (can't remember the name sorry) were exactly the same to the penny so must be the same underwriters. Next quote from there was about £900 so basically like you I couldn't get a competitive quote once I'd declared the remap.
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 17:01   #10
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
From my experience I could only find Adrian flux to insure my remapped car.

why do you think there should be no difference in insurance costs between a standard cdt/cdti and a remapped cdt/cdti? The CDT is a dog as standard.

macafee2
I am with Adrian FLux with a remapped 200 BHP Turbo - but Admiral offered cover but slighly more expensive.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote