Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2021, 18:10   #1
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Default Mgzt 190 V6 petrol overheat

Well couldnt believe it today after fitting my new Kaiser setup in the summer and was worried about the engine not getting hot enough had the opposite today , went for a run 30 miles had checked water before left and level was spot on had a major overheat and blew coolent out the cap, stopped the car and fan was running but engine was to hot to check level, fan stopped after a short while which i thought was strange as it was still boiling hot.
left it while longer then managed remove cap was totally empty so stuck at the side of road with empty bottle i managed find some water ,it was pouring with rain filled up system again and couldnt see any obvious leaks but couldnt really see in that weather.
Drove it another 8 miles home temp stayed fine but i know must be an issue,I will check for leaks tomorrow if it ever stops raining ,Jobs ive done are new Kaiser setup with new stat ,replaced header cap ,new belts and waterpump 12 months ago.
my thoughts were check all 3 fan speeds with toaf after checking for leaks any other ideas please.
appreiated julian

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 20:25   #2
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

I'd check your radiator coolant cap to make sure it's a good one. Mine looked OK, but I kept losing water a while ago and had an engine overheat on my V8 due to water loss. Couldn't find anything wrong. Decided to swap the radiator cap from the ZTT. The issue was just that. Could be other things, but make sure your radiator cap is 100% first.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 20:42   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

What temperature is not hot enough? Has the car been used much since the thermostat change?

I had a similar issue shortly after buying and sorting out my latest V6. Extremely difficult to bleed, took several attempts but after a few days all was well. But it wasn’t, as about one or two weeks later it ejected about 2 or 3 litres of coolant and overheated. My 2sp fan was working and it wasn't that long after I'd just stopped activating the OBD temperature.

Refilled at the roadside (I always carry some water) and since then it’s been as good as gold (touch wood) and that was one incident almost three years ago now. I can only guess there was still a pocket of air somewhere despite some vigorous local driving and a running temperature of 95 degs. The spare 3 ltrs of coolant has never been used since but remains in the boot.

If you’re concerned about the low temperature consider Stocktake’s idea of an in-line thermostat in the top hose. If I had to buy a new 82 deg thermostat I’d certainly consider the Renault 5 one especially as minus 20c isn’t that usual around here during winter.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 08:55   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janker View Post
- - - fan stopped after a short while which i thought was strange as it was still boiling hot.
- - -
When the engine overheats and is then stopped, the fan will continue to run for 600 seconds. This heat soak condition is under time rather than temperature control, so it could well remain very hot when the fan stops. This applies to both 2- and 3-speed fan systems.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 11:46   #5
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I'd check your radiator coolant cap to make sure it's a good one. Mine looked OK, but I kept losing water a while ago and had an engine overheat on my V8 due to water loss. Couldn't find anything wrong. Decided to swap the radiator cap from the ZTT. The issue was just that. Could be other things, but make sure your radiator cap is 100% first.
Its looking like mine could be the cap too ive replaced 2 new ones in the past and couldnt find a leak anywhere only while running the engine for an hour or so, i noticed water start to come from under the cap so pinched it up abit more and it stopped.

so fingers crossed cheers.

My New Addition
Old 6th October 2021, 11:48   #6
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
When the engine overheats and is then stopped, the fan will continue to run for 600 seconds. This heat soak condition is under time rather than temperature control, so it could well remain very hot when the fan stops. This applies to both 2- and 3-speed fan systems.

TC
Cheers for the info that sounds about correct amount of time then,im hoping its just the cap as in previous post.

My New Addition
Old 6th October 2021, 11:50   #7
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
What temperature is not hot enough? Has the car been used much since the thermostat change?

I had a similar issue shortly after buying and sorting out my latest V6. Extremely difficult to bleed, took several attempts but after a few days all was well. But it wasn’t, as about one or two weeks later it ejected about 2 or 3 litres of coolant and overheated. My 2sp fan was working and it wasn't that long after I'd just stopped activating the OBD temperature.

Refilled at the roadside (I always carry some water) and since then it’s been as good as gold (touch wood) and that was one incident almost three years ago now. I can only guess there was still a pocket of air somewhere despite some vigorous local driving and a running temperature of 95 degs. The spare 3 ltrs of coolant has never been used since but remains in the boot.

If you’re concerned about the low temperature consider Stocktake’s idea of an in-line thermostat in the top hose. If I had to buy a new 82 deg thermostat I’d certainly consider the Renault 5 one especially as minus 20c isn’t that usual around here during winter.

Regards
Hi yes been run for 6 months so im thinking cap issue but thanks anyway.

My New Addition