Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th November 2021, 15:18   #1
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Fuel pump relay

Hi all,

I have a 2003 cdt . Was working absolutely fine. Got into the car one early morning and wouldn't start. Noted both fuel pumps are not working. I'm somewhat confused as the pics on Google dont match my fuse box. I have found one but doesn't state where the fuel pump fuse is under the passenger foot well. Its says number 20 but I cant see any numbered ?

I have found the fuel relay may be down and it said it was the largest relay under the footwell , but all 3 the same size. It's been working sound for many years until now.

Battery is fully charged previous new intank and under bonnet pumps but weird both not working at the same time. This makes me think it's the relay. Can anyone confirm which one it is so I can get a new one. Would it also be worth resetting the fuel cut off switch ? It cranks but no fuel clearly coming from the pumps.

I have adequate fuel in my tank.

Any thoughts or if your able to point me in the right location greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by chambl01; 12th November 2021 at 15:24..
chambl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 15:40   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

This any help: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=284138 (thanks to T-cut)

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 19:32   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Fusebox Diagram-----------

Enter into --Search.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 23:48   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

. The fuel pump relay is grounded by the ECM so check the wiring from the relay to the ECM and if that checks out then suspect a fault in the ECM.
Does the oil pressure light come on when the key is turned to position ll as it should?

Last edited by Mike Noc; 12th November 2021 at 23:53..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2021, 09:13   #5
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default That's the one

[QUOTE=vitesse;2907611]This any help: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=284138 (thanks to T-cut)

Yes, that's the one. Thank you so much
Old 13th November 2021, 09:20   #6
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Oil light on

[QUOTE=Mike Noc;2907671]. The fuel pump relay is grounded by the ECM so check the wiring from the relay to the ECM and if that checks out then suspect a fault in the ECM.
Does the oil pressure light come on when the key is turned to position ll as it should?

Yes, oil light comes on as it should. I'll try the relay and go from there. I'm praying it's not the ECM . I've just spent alot of money, time and effort on the old girl. Hoping its something simple.

Plugged in OBD but doesn't read the car. Shame
Old 13th November 2021, 10:35   #7
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

[QUOTE Plugged in OBD but doesn't read the car. Shame[/QUOTE]

Use the search menu with the keyword Toaf. Toaf is a very easy to use freeware software (donate if you wish) works with any Windows PC (and now Android). Need a special obd cable, search ebay for Toaf. And unlike normal OBD readers it can access the whole car, use only in "read" mode until you are sure of what you're doing.

Regards

ps You can activate the fuel pump relay with Toaf
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2021, 22:14   #8
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
[QUOTE Plugged in OBD but doesn't read the car. Shame
Use the search menu with the keyword Toaf. Toaf is a very easy to use freeware software (donate if you wish) works with any Windows PC (and now Android). Need a special obd cable, search ebay for Toaf. And unlike normal OBD readers it can access the whole car, use only in "read" mode until you are sure of what you're doing.

Regards

ps You can activate the fuel pump relay with Toaf[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much, I didn't know that. I was going to see if the relay works first then probably send the ECU for testing. I think I'll do this before I remove the ECU. That's great advice Thank you
Old 14th November 2021, 07:51   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

On my 1.8t we found that the fuel pump relays were loose in there connections thus causing the fuel pump to intermittently shut down. The fuse board can be unbolted to check the connections behind.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2021, 14:34   #10
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
On my 1.8t we found that the fuel pump relays were loose in there connections thus causing the fuel pump to intermittently shut down. The fuse board can be unbolted to check the connections behind.
So far nothing. I have checked all fuses and bought 3 fuel relay switches. Both pumps still not working. replaced both about 4 years ago and certainly havent done the mileage with them.

Bought the TOAF lead and downloaded the software. I cant seem to get that going either and not getting a reply to the person who created the software. So i guess its back to the drawing board. I just hope its not my ECU. Hope the TOAF creator will get back to me before i remove the ECU for testing. Its not a good time to be without the 75 .