Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th December 2021, 13:26   #31
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

Default EV charging concerns?

Interesting reading, but there are huge concerns over Evs, batteries, what they made of (where it comes from) the generation of electricity and so on.
There is a government grant to have a charging point installed but as usual it's not as straightforward as one would like, especially if living in a development of flats or a house without off-street parking.
I have as it happens been looking into this for the flats where I live for submission to Grant Shapps MP the transport minister and Michael Gove MP minister for housing etc.

I tried pasting it here but it wouldn't, so have attached a PDF of it if anyone wants to read it, I'd be interested to hear thoughts.
Thanks Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EV vehicle & Flats.pdf (63.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 6th December 2021, 13:53   #32
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I wonder how long it will be before we see newspaper reports of EV drivers in minor collisions being electrocuted by their cars ??
Then the manufacturers will be able to claim the car has a lifetime warranty, if its written off so is the driver.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 01:26   #33
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I wonder how long it will be before we see newspaper reports of EV drivers in minor collisions being electrocuted by their cars ??

Will the AA and RAC drivers need to be paid danger money ??

Sneaky stuff electricity as you can't see it.--You can see and smell a petrol leak.
In the event of a collision the 12v powered contactor in the battery pack is 'turned off' which means that the 450v battery is isolated. This is why EV's still have 12v batteries and why if the 12v battery goes flat an EV won't 'start'.
In the event of a severe collision pyrotechnic fuses in the battery pack disconnect the modules so that 450v is not present even in the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Something I have wondered about for a while.

In winter, I often have the AC running to keep the windows clear. Obviously this has to have the heater on as well to avoid me freezing to death. How would an EV cope with this, as well as having lights on, heated rear window on, charging my phone, and maybe the radio?
Compared to the power required to move the car things like the heater and AC take very little power and don't really impact on the range. What does however is the battery being cold in the winter.
Old 8th December 2021, 07:56   #34
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
In the event of a collision the 12v powered contactor in the battery pack is 'turned off' which means that the 450v battery is isolated. This is why EV's still have 12v batteries and why if the 12v battery goes flat an EV won't 'start'.
In the event of a severe collision pyrotechnic fuses in the battery pack disconnect the modules so that 450v is not present even in the pack.

Compared to the power required to move the car things like the heater and AC take very little power and don't really impact on the range. What does however is the battery being cold in the winter.
and towing anything!!
Funnily enough, we currently have power outages here in western australia, 10,000 homes with no power- a 40c day- power grid issues.
As said, glad im not trying ti charge an ev, just jump into my good old fossil fuel car, switch the aircon on and drive to the nearest servo that has power!!

Last edited by genpk; 8th December 2021 at 08:06..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2021, 18:41   #35
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I think the problem is that some members still view electricity as some form of witchcraft.
Nothing to do with witchcraft, and everything to do with practicality.I wonder how those people got on up north who had got no electric for two weeks? The whole idea is to make a few people very, very rich. Look up some facts, but not in the witchcraft books. E.Vs will never come to pass.Again.........tell me where the electricity is going to come from? Have you got some information no one else has got?
Old 14th December 2021, 18:52   #36
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Here are a few useful statistics that demonstrate why EV range will not be a limiting factor in over 99.9% of travel needs.

Percentage of journeys less than 10 miles 83%

Percentage of journeys less than 25 miles 95%

Average traveled distance of all journeys 8.4 miles

Like others, I enjoy being able to get in the car once or twice a year and drive 200+ miles. If necessary, this could still be achieved by adjusting my mindset about long distance travel and using the available means.

In the long term, perhaps there will be a regulated car hire scheme for the odd occasion that people wish to travel long distances and public transport is not a viable option. We could quite easily take the train to say York or Exeter and hire an EV for driving around whilst on holiday.
Erm, there already is a car hire scheme everywhere, it’s called car hire. You can hire them even on holiday. It’s nothing new?
Old 14th December 2021, 21:33   #37
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Erm, there already is a car hire scheme everywhere, it’s called car hire. You can hire them even on holiday. It’s nothing new?

Which is exactly how people with EV's manage to travel long distances without much worry. They accept the charging time during the journey or hire a non-EV car!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 19:41   #38
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Which is exactly how people with EV's manage to travel long distances without much worry. They accept the charging time during the journey or hire a non-EV car!
Can you explain to me how this would be any use to me in going to Germany? And how about if there were no cars available to hire? I can go to my sons in Germany in the diesel virtually non stop, apart from the shuttle journey. 520 miles. No hassle. No worrying about where to get a ‘recharge’. Oh the joys of the ic engine. Don’t worry, I will wait for you while you charge your EV at a motorway halt, at least twice. What a good invention the EV is.
Old 15th December 2021, 19:48   #39
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Can you explain to me how this would be any use to me in going to Germany? And how about if there were no cars available to hire? I can go to my sons in Germany in the diesel virtually non stop, apart from the shuttle journey. 520 miles. No hassle. No worrying about where to get a ‘recharge’. Oh the joys of the ic engine. Don’t worry, I will wait for you while you charge your EV at a motorway halt, at least twice. What a good invention the EV is.

Other approached to traveling are possibe.

In the 1980's I used to travel to Geneva every three months for technical meetings at the ITU/CCITT. Sometimes I flew. Other times, I would drive in my Austin Montego. I used to take 3 days to get there, stopping off at various Chateau in France in order to sample the French hospitality and way of life. Looking back, I could have done the same in an EV.

Travel does not need to be rushed - it can be turned into a cultural experience. We just need to get into a different mindset.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 20:21   #40
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Other approached to traveling are possibe.

Travel does not need to be rushed - it can be turned into a cultural experience. We just need to get into a different mindset.

Yes indeed it can when you have the time, Spending 3 days getting to some where and another 3 day bac sounds good but probably only when I retire, if I go on holiday I dont want to spend the week traveling, a day to get there, a day to get back and the rest of the time the car will probably sit in the car park.

As I have previosly said EVs do have there place, for longer journeys that people do make something that either has a range of 400 hundred or more miles or something that can be refueled in the time it takes to drink a cup of coffe and have a comfort brake is needed.

I have a diesel Transit Van for work and this will comfortably travel 450 miles between fuel stops, the new Electric version has a range of less than 150 fully loaded on a full charge and needs 45 mins to give it an 80% charge. Today I have done about 300 miles and I would have no time to stop let alone for over an hour.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote