Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2021, 16:49   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Putting A/C on means extra load on the engine, leading to a dip in RPM. This is countered by producing additional torque which stabilises the RPM back to the original level. The car thus needs additional air and fuel to produce the extra torque that is required to maintain the RPM at a constant level. Ideally, the air to fuel ration should remain at a constant 14.7 but I suspect will vary around this value in practice. This is very similar to what occurs when driving uphill.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2021, 05:36   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Unfortunately David I suspect that what you've read contains a misunderstanding by the writer. The air:fuel ratio (mixture) must remain constant at all times. The extra load placed on the engine by the air conditioning compressor may result in the engine speed increasing to compensate. That would involve extra fuel and air. The mixture won't be enriched.

Simon

The OP has a diesel Simon so we can forget all the talk about mixtures. The ECM will simply inject more fuel to return the engine revs back to the desired idle speed.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2021, 05:51   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Putting A/C on means extra load on the engine, leading to a dip in RPM. This is countered by producing additional torque which stabilises the RPM back to the original level. The car thus needs additional air and fuel to produce the extra torque that is required to maintain the RPM at a constant level. Ideally, the air to fuel ration should remain at a constant 14.7 but I suspect will vary around this value in practice. This is very similar to what occurs when driving uphill.

We are talking diesels here gents, so the air/fuel ratios will vary all over the place depending on engine load. 1000 to 1 at idle - no problem!

The engine takes in the maximum charge of air on each inlet stroke. That amount will vary depending on the air density, how fast the turbo is spinning etc, but it will always be the maximum amount - there is no throttling involved, and that is why they fit a separate vacuum pump.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2021, 08:52   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Why did I not spot that he had a cdt?

Ah well, it was a good exchange of view anyway. My comment about torque still applies, it's just that only additional fuel is injected.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 07:21   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Clarification

It was David (b152krz), not the OP, who raised the question of mixture and he was referring to a claim in "something" he'd read. He also referred to his own car but without saying which one; diesel or petrol. I replied on the basis that it was his petrol KV6.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

Simon
Old 10th December 2021, 21:21   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Hi,

Car starting okay but noticed lately when pressing window demist button, there is an instant drop in revs for a short while as if battery is struggling. Would that be the battery or alternator failing?
Your alternator converts Kinetic energy from the engine into electricity.

When you put a greater load on the electrics your alternator has to put an extra kinetic load on the engine. This extra draw of energy is what slows the tick-over down until the ECU compensates for it.

Don't worry all is well and doing what it is programed to do.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 19:09   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Thanks Simon, I've got a booster and will check the diagnostics no 9 .
Just hope its not the alternator as had it replaced a couple of years ago and its a big job
What was the result and did any of our posts help you ???

Don't be shy.--------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote