Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2019, 07:19   #1
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Default Bad Fall

It's not been a good week, haven't been out or felt like doing anything else.

Last Wednesday I booked a Taxi to go to the Doctor's for my injection (which I have to have every 9 weeks).

Taxi turned up I went to get in and in a flash I was on the floor feeling stunned and in a world of pain.

My left leg gives way due to the major injuries I sustained in an accident to my back, so they tell me, I just thought it was due to my hip but it's all related.

So there I am, luckily I hit my head on the tyre of the van that was parked (could have been the ground), grazed my left elbow and knee, but took the skin off my right elbow, was bleeding.
However my back, shoulder and neck were giving me hell, but nothing was broken.

The Taxi driver got me a blanket out of his boot and opened the other door which slid backwards, handy that was, and after about 10 minutes I managed to roll and pull myself up onto my knees which is extremely difficult for me to do.
Eventually I got my right leg up and used the car seat to get me up.

Thankfully the Taxi turned up earlier than I had booked him for, so I had plenty of time.

He said, "get in like a woman does", bum first, I did laugh but that worked.

Arrived at the Doctor's surgery and told the receptionist what had happened, she said to tell the Nurse to patch me up.

So after my injection the Nurse checked my head which was fine and treated my elbow and put a dressing on it.

But the whole of my back on my left side is a lovely colour, can only see part of it in the mirror.

It really shook me up, when your younger you don't take any notice but now it takes me a few days to get over it.

As for going out in the car, haven't been out, don't feel like it, thankfully I can do my shopping online and have it delivered. Had a Tesco delivery yesterday evening.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 07:44   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

You had a lucky escape considering you didn’t break anything, but its a shock when it happens. You did the right thing in not jumping straight back up after falling.

Are you able to do any exercises or join a walking group? I used to run an exercise group for people much older than yourself at a day hospital for the over 65’s in Hampstead. Some could only do chair exercises, whilst the others were more versatile. In the group, the ones who exercised regularly, rarely had a fracture during a fall. I am now 64 and it’s something I have to remind myself to do.... more exercise

Take care, hopefully your week ahead will improve.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 07:48   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Join the club. Get well soon Neil.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 10:19   #4
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
You had a lucky escape considering you didn’t break anything, but its a shock when it happens. You did the right thing in not jumping straight back up after falling.

Are you able to do any exercises or join a walking group? I used to run an exercise group for people much older than yourself at a day hospital for the over 65’s in Hampstead. Some could only do chair exercises, whilst the others were more versatile. In the group, the ones who exercised regularly, rarely had a fracture during a fall. I am now 64 and it’s something I have to remind myself to do.... more exercise

Take care, hopefully your week ahead will improve.
Your right it was the shock, I had the shakes for a couple of hours made holding a cup of tea fun.

Exercise isn't easy for me, even without the fall, I'm only 58 but have poor mobility.
I'm okay around the house but even in the garden I have to walk with my stick.
My life revolves around my laptop, more so recently.

As for going out haven't bothered, I'm afraid I might collapse again as I get no warning.

Looking forward to the football that is starting again properly this coming weekend.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:59   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
Your right it was the shock, I had the shakes for a couple of hours made holding a cup of tea fun.
Hope you're on the mend soon. A fall can be a shock, had a couple thankfully not through balance problems etc. When you were younger you'd have muttered to yourself, got up and got on with it but when you're getting on a bit it can throw you a wobbly!

First one I was trying to dig up a hydrangea in the back garden, stuck a pick axe under the very solid roots, pulled with all my might and landed flat on my back, I missed the edging stones on the path, don't know how, I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd landed on one. Second was taking an overfull garden waste bin down the steps for collection, the bin toppled forward and took me with it, ended up wedged between the bin and the wall wondering how the .... am I getting out of here! My head actually bounced off the ground, ended up with a concussion.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 10:35   #6
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Hope you're on the mend soon. A fall can be a shock, had a couple thankfully not through balance problems etc. When you were younger you'd have muttered to yourself, got up and got on with it but when you're getting on a bit it can throw you a wobbly!

First one I was trying to dig up a hydrangea in the back garden, stuck a pick axe under the very solid roots, pulled with all my might and landed flat on my back, I missed the edging stones on the path, don't know how, I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd landed on one. Second was taking an overfull garden waste bin down the steps for collection, the bin toppled forward and took me with it, ended up wedged between the bin and the wall wondering how the .... am I getting out of here! My head actually bounced off the ground, ended up with a concussion.
Goodness me, ouch!

I don't do gardening anymore, get someone to cut the grass for me and as for wheelie bins easier to get someone else to move them for you.
Old 8th August 2019, 17:04   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I don't do gardening anymore, get someone to cut the grass for me and as for wheelie bins easier to get someone else to move them for you.
Inherited a low maintenance garden from my parents, no grass to worry about. Some find tending to a lawn therapeutic, I just found it a PITA at the old house

My neighbour is older than me but a lot fitter, he normally puts the bins out, I bring the empties in. I put the garden bin out that night because it was so heavy, my other half had stamped the contents down more than once, swore it'll never be that heavy again!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 20:08   #8
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I have been through agony with my hip over the last month. Fortunately I seem to be getting better, for now anyway. Just wanted to extend my sympathy as I have some idea what its like, though I suspect nowhere near as bad as yours. Best wishes.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 11:54   #9
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
I have been through agony with my hip over the last month. Fortunately I seem to be getting better, for now anyway. Just wanted to extend my sympathy as I have some idea what its like, though I suspect nowhere near as bad as yours. Best wishes.
A bad hip is no fun either, so I can understand how you feel.

Liquid refreshments help quite a bit in the evening.
Old 9th August 2019, 18:55   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Blooming heck Neil, I bet that wasn't fun.

It can be frightening when the legs have a mind of their own, simply give-out on you when you are leased expecting it. I get pains down my legs that originates from the testicles, so much so that my leg/legs will turn to jelly and give out on me.

I get told its referred pain, nerves that originate from the spine and feed different parts of the body, but I never get backache, funny that...

Take it easy for awhile Neil...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote