Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2007, 16:09   #21
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

I think "Classic" car ownership is going to become more and more difficult over the next 10 years. If you want to enjoy your big engined car now is the time to do it. Certinly I think the petrol engined car will be as out dated in 20-30 years time as the steam car is now.

As far as the future goes, it's interesting to read the comments of GM's Director of Advanced Technology Vehicle Concepts in Autocar recently. He thinks along the same lines as I do that "hybrids are not a solution". After all, what's the point of a vehicle that still relies on a dwindling fossil fuel resource? GM is taking the view that they need to "remove the car from the envirinment and energy debate" completely by investing in electric and hydrogen fuel cell technology.

For those of you who think that this will take all the fun out of driving I would point out that Mazda already has Hydrogen powered RX8s running around in Japan. Apparently the Wankel engine is particularly suited to this type of fuel technology.

If I'd hung on to my Mazda Cosmo I wonder if it could have been converted....Hmm.
Tim_Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 16:21   #22
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

BMW are about to shelve any further work on Hydrogen Cars for the forseeable future, after just launching their test models in UK, due to Problems with getting Filling Stations to allow Installation of equipment and no backing from the Fuel Companies to work together.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 16:49   #23
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Apparently hydrogen stations are starting to roll out in the U.S. Japan and Germany. We will get them here, it will just take time. After all the oil companies need to have something to replace petrol & diesel or they are there all going to go out of business when the oil runs out, which it will sooner or later.
Old 5th July 2007, 23:54   #24
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Burgess View Post
Apparently hydrogen stations are starting to roll out in the U.S. Japan and Germany. We will get them here, it will just take time. After all the oil companies need to have something to replace petrol & diesel or they are there all going to go out of business when the oil runs out, which it will sooner or later.
I worked for an oil company for nearly 20 years, and can assure you that yes indeed, a great deal of work is going on to position for the end of oil, and the distribution of alternative liquid fuels, currently centering on hydrogen.
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote