Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:09   #1
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Unhappy Front springs and tyre protectors

I know this topic is mentioned a fair bit on the forum so decided to write about my thoughts on them.

In the last 30 months I have now had 3 front springs and one rear fracture. When the first front one went I decided to replace both sides along with new suspension struts, top plates, bearings etc. I purchased these from Rimmers along with some tyre protectors and thought once fitted I would be OK for a few thousand miles.

Unfortunately this has not been the case! 12 months ago just prior to the MOT I suffered another spring fracture. The difference this time was I had fitted the tyre protectors and it meant I didn't have to pay out for a new tyre.

Move on 12 months to this week and the MOT was due again. I knew I needed some new tyres, so got my garage ( ML Motorsports nr Rosewell, Edinburgh) to fit and balance these along with a service prior to them taking it for an MOT. Their MOT station they use is a couple of miles away and sometime between fitting the tyres where everything was OK and going up on the MOT ramp yet another spring fractured

image003[45271] by Ann Edwards, on Flickr

As can be seen from the photo, fortunately the tyre protector did its job which is great news with a new tyre just fitted. I think much of this has to do with poor quality manufacturing in India / China etc. I had been around the underneath of the car prior to the MOT and certainly checked the outside of the spring and could not see any breaks in the outer coat or rust.

So my conclusion is, if you haven't fitted them please do so.

An unfortunate downside to this is I am losing / have lost confidence in the Rover 75 and found myself last year checking the springs everytime I went to drive it. ( the first two certainly went whilst the car was parked up and not moving) Therefore I can see me selling the car soon which is a shame as I like the cars ( have had 3 75's and a ZT) but this has certainly changed my attitude towards them

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 23rd July 2021 at 19:14..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote