Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2019, 23:40   #1
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rewiring Emergency Exit Sign

As per the title, an old cinema exit sign which charges the batteries when it's plugged in & illuminates when power is lost.
We want it to be illuminated when plugged in now, my current theory is to remove the 9v battery pack & replace with an equivalent transformer. As the supply to the strip bulb only seems to be 3-4v, l'm figuring there must be a step-down transformer in the circuit though why a 9v bulb can't be used l'm not sure unless it is one, it isn't marked. But the circuitry must also control the switching of the on/off power arrangement so my plan of leaving the circuitry in place may be a road to nowhere. A small transformer direct to the bulb would make sense but l'm wondering why the supply voltage to it via the board is so small.
Can anyone 'shine some light' on it for me please?

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 17th July 2019 at 23:42..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 23:48   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
As per the title, an old cinema exit sign which charges the batteries when it's plugged in & illuminates when power is lost.
We want it to be illuminated when plugged in now, my current theory is to remove the 9v battery pack & replace with an equivalent transformer. As the supply to the strip bulb only seems to be 3-4v, l'm figuring there must be a step-down transformer in the circuit though why a 9v bulb can't be used l'm not sure unless it is one, it isn't marked. But the circuitry must also control the switching of the on/off power arrangement so my plan of leaving the circuitry in place may be a road to nowhere. A small transformer direct to the bulb would make sense but l'm wondering why the supply voltage to it via the board is so small.
Can anyone 'shine some light' on it for me please?
Could you not remove the internals, and use a small strip light in it? (it would need to be a non filament type to reduce the heat)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 02:03   #3
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Well the fluorescent tube that's in it is already ideally mounted & l wouldn't have thought it would be too much of a problem to change its power source & leave it in place.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote