Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th September 2013, 13:58   #1
Galaxie390
Regular poster

2002 Conn SE Tourer CDT auto

Default Standard speaker cable vs Aftermarket

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on speaker cable.

I'm planning to swap out my symphony, with stock speakers, cable etc. with a single DIN headunit and 2-way component speakers in the front doors at first.

Eventually, I would like to fit components all round and an underseat subwoofer. I'm not going mad, I just want a bit more 'soul'!

How limiting is the stock speaker cabling? Is it worthwhile runing beefier cables, if so, what size?

Thanks,
Rich

Done: Full service,airbag dcu,pcv valve,aux belts, front discs & pads, 2 x rear springs, engine fan, cleaned plenum, plenum spyhole mod, bonnet catch divider mod, bonnet catches lubed, second key, x-power upgrade, aircon recharge,2nd acc socket, winter tyres on 15" rims, strut bearings, spring protectors,
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 14:16   #2
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie390 View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on speaker cable.

I'm planning to swap out my symphony, with stock speakers, cable etc. with a single DIN headunit and 2-way component speakers in the front doors at first.

Eventually, I would like to fit components all round and an underseat subwoofer. I'm not going mad, I just want a bit more 'soul'!

How limiting is the stock speaker cabling? Is it worthwhile runing beefier cables, if so, what size?

Thanks,
Rich
In a word, it's not worth it unless it is a competition system you are putting in place.
I used to fit audio for a professional car audio company and it really isn't worth the hassle unless you have to run cable due to there not being any there in the first place.

Give it a little thicker stuff from an amp to a sub only because you have to, but on my current build i've made a new loom that runs from the amps in the boot to an ISO socket behind the headunit so when the amps are fitted I just need to unplug from headunit and plug into amps and utilise existing wiring.

I don't scimp when I feel it makes a big difference, but i'd challenege you to audibly be able to tell the difference and I use rather expensive Amps and speakers.

Some will disagree, but unless you need to run them, i'd stay clear.
Of course, means you have to mount crossovers in the doors as you won't have the spare feed but there is a space providing you get a suitabily sized set of crossovers.

HTH
Geraint.
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 16:19   #3
Galaxie390
Regular poster

2002 Conn SE Tourer CDT auto

Hi Geraint,

Thank for your info. I would be inclined to agree.

I'll fit up the hardware I have planned, and sure, if I'm board one day I could have a look, but prob not worth the bother.

Have you come across any reasonable under-seat type subs that fit ok and work ok too?

Thanks,
Rich

Done: Full service,airbag dcu,pcv valve,aux belts, front discs & pads, 2 x rear springs, engine fan, cleaned plenum, plenum spyhole mod, bonnet catch divider mod, bonnet catches lubed, second key, x-power upgrade, aircon recharge,2nd acc socket, winter tyres on 15" rims, strut bearings, spring protectors,
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 16:30   #4
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

i've heard good things about the VIBE underseat sub.

Search Gazza190 posts as he's just fitted one in the rear of his tourer and I plan on doing the same with the passive version (his is active).

Also heard the Alpine is pretty good for the size as well.

They'll never beat a 10, 12 or 15 sub in a large enclosure, but they are a hassle taking up all the space.

I'm going to fit a vibe for day to day use (it's an 8" jobby), but leave it with a banana plug port so I can put in my 12" ADS sub for when I know I want loud sound (like a show or long trip etc). Hopefully best of both worlds then
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 16:56   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Same as Geraint, really not worth doing for the minimal gains vs hassle doing it
Unless you are going 'full on' with high end components, amps, door treatment etc you would struggle to discern any difference with the oem cables over high end ofc cable.
Put the money you saved on cabling into investing a little more on speakers etc for more worthwhile gains
Old 17th September 2013, 19:46   #6
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

This is the Subwoofer I want to install eventually..... I've heard really good things about these!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-TS-W.../dp/B0036YEWHO

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...210A/page.html
Old 17th September 2013, 19:51   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Unless you have a large amp, there really is no point - it's not very expensive but getting the cables through the doors is a PROPER PITA!

So no, not "worth" it. However, larger cables = less resistances, which will make it sound better. But whether you'd notice it, I doubt it...

Having said all that, I've done it. I just like using OTT speaker wire everywhere - all the mids in my car are wired up with 2.5mm² cable as is my 500w home cinema system downstairs.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote