Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2018, 06:22   #11
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool And not only have I spent lots of dosh...........................

............................................. But last night they had me up dancing, not been on the dance floor for nearly............. Well it's been awhile.

Going back to the Oasis shop. It originally started life as wood carving shack and now it's a huge shop selling wood carvings, plus other associated stuff. We wandered in and around, plenty to keep our attention. We found the amazing wood carvings, absolutely stunning but very reasonably priced. Then there was this chair made from old lumps of wood from the coffee wood tree. No two chairs are the same. I sort of fell in love with it.
As we know there is no such thing as coffee wood but what it is, and this is the interesting bit, when the coffee beans grow they grow on a bush. Each year the bushes are harvested but after a time the bush becomes tired and stops producing but does not stop growing.

So the bushes are just left to grow till the trunks of the bushes grow to the desired size. Only then are they cut down. And then the wood is cut into various lumps and planed flat, some of the thicker branches are left round but just smoothed off. Then everything is varnished. And hey presto I now have a large wooden chair. They can be used outside but for now in the winter months it will remain inside.
I have two favourite flowers the Beautiful Orchid, which always reminds me of my Mum and my wife. T'other flower is the Poppy, again reminds me of my Dad and what his comrades fought for in both World Wars and various conflicts since.

So I've been looking for a Poppy duvet set, Debbie found one. And she also found a couple of cushions. And what else did she find for me, a beautiful Teddy Bear blanket. This will be used when I have passengers in the Bear, but will remain in the house when not in the car, if that makes sense.
After all this parting with my money I needed a sit down to give my credit card a rest. So we retired to the cafe.
Val and Allen bought a beautiful hand carved fish, carved from one peice of wood, when cleaned and preserved with teak oil it has brought amazing colour's out on one side yet on the other side the wood as remained basically just one colour.

To be continued, battery running out of puff.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 10th December 2018 at 06:24.. Reason: Missing words are safe and sound
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 07:08   #12
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Bob, good morning team IOW ...A Teddy Bear blanket, a Poppy duvet set, warp factor Harrisop, such rare finds.
Have a great day.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 07:09   #13
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Now where was I? .......................

................................... ah! Yes, exhausted. Another amazing item for sale was these amazing glass bowls in the shape of a brandy glass. Those of more senior years may remember these glasses were all the fashion at one time, huge glasses with bonsai trees growing in them. Well, the upper section was the same shape. They are all made from recycled broken beer glasses. The glass is melted down, once heated up they are drawn out and the brandy glass shape is turned, now the base of the glass is kept hot all the time.

The wooden bases of that, the glasses sit on, are pieces of tree branches with all the knobbly bits. So the heated glass is then sat onto the wood and allowed to cool. The glass then settles into the shape of the wood. Again no two pieces are the same or size. Both Debbie and Matt bought these. Plus Debbie bought a few other things. Well, lots of things actually.
Once we had our tea it was time to load up Leafy. Well with the chair taking up most of the space we managed to get everything in.
Allen suggested that we left everything in and I would take all the luggage home. Saves a lot of hassle.

The weather had been kind to us all day, although quite chilly but the sun had stayed out. As the sun started to set the sunset looked promising. So with Leafy following Grovey we set off back to the hotel. I managed to get some pictures of the sun reflecting onto the clouds before the battery died, must buy a spare battery.
Once back at base, we agreed to meet in the bar at 17.30. I went into the chalet, put the kettle on, made the tea then promptly fell asleep. Was 1700 when I woke up. Not a great lover of cold tea, so made another whilst getting ready.

I knocked on Debbies door and we walked to the bar together, we are just good friends no romance. We met the others and Allen told the everyone about my credit cards experience. Then it was nosebag time. I started with ginger beer infused salmon, I couldn’t taste the ginger beer but the salmon was gorgeous. My main course was lambs liver, bacon, onions and mash plus some thick gravy. Very nice indeed. Cleared my plate. Dessert for me was Red Velvet cheese cake with layers of sponge and crushed raspberries plus clotted cream I shared this with Debbie.
One of the other desserts on offer was blackcurrant and liquorice pudding which apparently was scrumptious.

Then time to hit the dance floor. I’m a bit of a wall flower when it comes to dancing, I’m happy to sit and watch but not tonight as I was dragged onto the floor to bop the night away. There was a break and the main act came on spoiling my fun.
The act was the hotel staff paying tribute to the “Blues Brothers”, and they were very good. Although some of the songs were not in the original film. I was disappointed that they didn’t do Rawhide.

So with the act over, the cider was flowing along with some whiskey that John bought me. It was back on the dance floor till the end of the night. As most people had either retired to the other bar or gone to bed we stayed in the ballroom. There was a chap who was still letting the gramophone play, and taking requests, although he never got the hint. And so the dancing started up again. The night was finally rounded off by the conga.

So we packed up and found our way back to our rooms. We passed Leafy with her boot packed to the gills. Tired? Who me? Yup, and aching. Soon I was in the land of nod chasing those fluffy clouds.
The plan today is as we have 3 hours to kill from leaving till the ferry leaves we might have a run into Newport and a look round the shops, although i’ll stay in the car.

All in all it’s been a cracking weekend with fantastic company.
I would normally return either straight back to Essex or return to Cornwall for a few days but this year Cornwall is now my home. Still be strange not following Keith off of the ferry.

Sorry we could not meet up with those members that have been in contact, and these that live on the mainland, if any members live on the Island we never heard or saw them.
Having said that we never saw any 75’s or ZT’s either. A few ZS and ZR’s about plus a couple of TF’s. There is a MG garage and we did see a few MG 3’s.

So thanks for reading and the comments. Will do the final roundup once home and upload a few pictures. Don’t forget if you see the convoy travelling back, wave or flash or toot.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 10th December 2018 at 07:13.. Reason: Missing letters found and reunited with the words.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:13   #14
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool First aider needed,..........................

...................................... as one of our party was feeling very unwell, not me but our John. He had been sitting with us when he started to feel a bit unwell. He went to get some fresh air when he almost collapsed. Debbie is a qualified First Aider and immediately went to his aid. She shooed everyone away, to give him some breathing space. Nathan went and got some water.
Wow! John looked everso pale. John’s wife Nina said that providing he was well enough to travel she would drive the ZT home. Think this news must have rallied John.

The plan was that after breakfast we would drive into Newport and go around the shops till time to catch the ferry. But with the emergency we decided to stay close if we was needed in anyway. By now the hotel had tracked down their first aider but Debbie had everything under control. The accident book was already filled out by Debbie.
Allen tried to get John & Nina away on a earlier ferry but we found out that an earlier ferry had broke down, so spaces were limited. We decided to stay with a John so that we could all catch the same ferry at 13.05. That way we would make sure Nina was able to get John home. We did have 3 spare drivers on standby.

But the thought of Nina driving his beloved ZT must have made John better.
So at Noon we ushered the team out to our cars ready for the convoy but not before everyone thanked Debbie for her quick response in helping a John.
We lined up with Matt leading in Grovey and off we went to the ferry terminal. We stopped at the barrier to have our paperwork scanned. I was asked my reg no. My reply was, “ Bob Loves 54 Much Wasted Petrol”. You can work it out.

To be continued as the grey cells are getting tired.

onen hag oll
Old 11th December 2018, 14:28   #15
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Well, that was a spirited drive home...................

........................................ Once the cars were loaded onto the ferry. John said he felt a whole better, thinks he may have had a touch of food poisoning. But he insisted that he was driving and didn't need us stay with him. He would catch up with us at our stopping point in Kilmington.
Keith and Annette would be Surrey bound once off of the ferry so we wished them a safe journey, merry Xmas and a happy new year.

Once we had docked at Lymington Allen led us off, then it was the Bear followed by Nathan and the Citroen. Next off it was John followed by Paul in the Moonstone. Last car off of our group was Matt in Grovey. Not stopping at Kilmington was the Citroen or the Moonstone.
Soon we was on the A35 and the pace was hotting up. Debbie settled down for a nap, she had to go to work Tuesday morning. Her coach had to be out of the yard by 4 am.
I followed Allen with Nathan travelling close behind, the Citroen was holding on for dear life. The traffic was quite heavy in places and it was only 2pm.

Once clear of Ferndown we was able to clear the traffic, Nathan kept pulling out as to overtake but then dropped behind. Once on the Tolpuddle, and with my passenger fast asleep, I wound the elastic band up on the Bear and hurtled past Allen at Warp factor Actros and a bit. Nathan went to follow but chickened out. We left them and continued for awhile before dropping down to Warp Factor Harrisop to let them catch up but they were so far behind that I opted to pull into a layby and wait. Soon they came into view with the Citroen keeping up. Once past and it was safe to do I slotted in behind. And Debbie was still asleep.

No sign of the rest of the convoy. We pulled into the Route 35 diner at Kilmington. The Citroen whizzed past followed by the Moonstone, tooting as they went. Next in was Matt followed by John, who now was back to his proper colour.
Wee wanted then food. To save me cooking once home I went for the egg, ham and chip sandwich. Comes with side salad and some crisps plus a pot of tea. That will do me. T'others had various bits of grub.
Then it was time to carry on. We said our goodbyes and the on yo left. Matt led out with Nathan and John following. I followed Allen out but stopped to let a tanker out.

It was on the A30 the next time I saw Allen, his ZTT is quite distinctive at night as he has a reflector on the tow bar. I soon slotted in behind. We caught up with the others at the end of the M5. They split from us towards Torquay whilst we remained on the A38. Toots and flashes done with we climbed Haldon Hill with the Bear in full song. By the time we got to Trago Mills the Bear was leading. The traffic was quite heavy again, and as per norm the inside lane was moving better that the outside, which is where Allen was.
I was dropping Debbie off anyway.

Soon the Tamar bridge came into sight. Across the bridge, pulled off left and up Fore Street. Turned into the side road and reversed up the Lane to the gate and Debbie's house. Murphy's law, someone wanted to get past. So it was a quick unload, quick cuddle and a kiss and I was off again.
Allen was dropping Val off plus there stuff before coming round to me to drop my new chair plus my other bits off. So I knew I had time to reverse in and unload before Allen turned up. In fact Bear was unloaded and parked up in her space before Allen arrived.

Chair and bits unloaded and he was off home, again. Boy! Was I tired. But a quick put away of bits, read the post and poured out a wee brandy. Time to unwind, and try stay awake. I down loaded my photo's, all 198 of them.
I'll get them edited and a few posted up over the next few days.

So the Bear covered a total of 358 miles. Used no oil or water and averaged 20 to the gallon. Not bad for a 400 bhp runaround.
Many thanks for reading and the kind comments.

Next, and last, tour of the U.K. 2018 Starts on the 21st with Redfive.

onen hag oll
Old 11th December 2018, 19:18   #16
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Some photo's

A few photo's from the trip.

1 Across the Solent
2 The Needles through the window.
3 My new pocket camera.
4 Xmas cake.
5 Front of the museum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.jpg (164.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0366.jpg (167.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (131.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (140.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (133.1 KB, 13 views)

onen hag oll
Old 11th December 2018, 19:24   #17
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Few more photo's. Not all are loading up.

1 "I woz 'ere".
2 Plaque at the front of photographic musem.
3 Sunset over Yarmouth IOW. Photo take thro' windscreen on Leafy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0434.jpg (137.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (133.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (135.8 KB, 10 views)

onen hag oll
Old 12th December 2018, 09:30   #18
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The Bear........................

......................................... covered a total of 358 miles and used no oil or water. We averaged 21 to the gallon.

And it’s 3 years today I bought her from SonicZS aka Paul Collins. And we have covered 20k since then. Other than routine servicing plus the wee blip we had last year she has been quiet cheap to run. ((I have spent more on Redfive in the last 10 months than I have on the Bear in 3 years)).

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 12th December 2018 at 09:37.. Reason: Found the lost word.