Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2020, 15:26   #11
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Thanks folks

Thank you all for sharing. I will visit the Lossiemouth graves next time I am up visiting our son and the grandkids. He is in RAF stationed at RAF Lossiemouth until December. Been there a few years.
The pictures of these crash sites tells the story of the impacts. Not much chance of surviving.
Photographs of the period fascinate me.

War can and still does change people. As civilians we often forget what our forces still go through today and in recent times. Of course civilians involved or affected by war suffer in many ways
Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:33   #12
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

These records of those that went the extra mile are very moving and let’s hope the sacrifices so readily made are never asked for again.

The photo, one of my most treasured memoirs, is from left to right, my uncle Alan Jump, my mother Muriel, my aunt Olive, and my father William.

Obviously a wartime photo, the home leave must have coincided and the day out at the seaside was welcome relief. My father never spoke a word about his service times and neither did my uncle but family stories surfaced nonetheless.

Allan was badly wounded and in hospital for some time before, yes, it does happen, marrying his nurse Beryl! He survived the war and worked as a lorry driver. On returning to work on Boxing Day, no long holidays in those days, he got off the train to walk along the track to cross the lines behind it. He didn’t hear the express coming the other way that killed him. He left 9 children for Beryl to bring up. He had only a few pennies in his pocket.

The accident was reported in the Daily Mirror and caught the eye of the boxer Randolph Turpin who for many Christmases sent the family a hamper. Alan epitomised the spirit of the times and was sorely missed.

Last edited by wraymond; 22nd April 2020 at 19:35..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 19:49   #13
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Tragic

Hi

What a tragic story of loss. Loved the photograph. We can't really comprehend the service and suffering of those that lived through the war years

Cheers

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote