Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th April 2012, 22:26   #11
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

The shipyard were Titanic was built is just making windmills at the moment.I park beside it everyday.Used to have the biggest dry dock in the world.They should get them to build it.Would be niceGive those big cranes something proper to do for a change.
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 22:30   #12
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus View Post
The shipyard were Titanic was built is just making windmills at the moment.I park beside it everyday.Used to have the biggest dry dock in the world.They should get them to build it.Would be niceGive those big cranes something proper to do for a change.
I completely agree. That would be a really wonderful thing to do.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:49   #13
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Harland and Wolff, they were THE ship builders of their day, building for both Cunard and White Star Line.

If it's maiden voyage sets sail from Southampton (like before ) I will certainly be standing on the quayside. Seeing QM2 and all the other super liners docked when I pop into town is always a thrill.

Will the new Titantic be built internally as a replica of the original, including all the period fixtures and fittings, or will they deck it out with modern trim?

I'm thinking here of the 'authentic' gym with wooden rowing machines etc, or state of the art cardiovascular equipment and running machines for example?
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 22:52   #14
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Harland and Wolff, they were THE ship builders of their day, building for both Cunard and White Star Line.

If it's maiden voyage sets sail from Southampton (like before ) I will certainly be standing on the quayside. Seeing QM2 and all the other super liners docked when I pop into town is always a thrill.

Will the new Titantic be built internally as a replica of the original, including all the period fixtures and fittings, or will they deck it out with modern trim?

I'm thinking here of the 'authentic' gym with wooden rowing machines etc, or state of the art cardiovascular equipment and running machines for example?
I would love it if it were a replica of the original inside. The four funnels are dummys and one apparently will house a cinema I think I read. Shame really, would be nice to see all the steam.
Old 30th April 2012, 23:22   #15
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Reebs, went that way Friday afternoon and across Itchen Bridge to houses now on old Thornycroft site, QM2 moored in Western Docks and QE2 moored in Eastern Docks, then heard that distinctive horn as QE2 blew up before sailing, magic and brought memories of the original, which is what it is!
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 10:19   #16
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

They could make it a rule that passengers wear period costume on the captains dinner nights .

kate winslett and leo di caprio could re-enact the bow of the ship balancing act on the maiden voyage .

They could float a dummy iceberg and collide with it .

Ok ok iv'e taken that too far
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 10:32   #17
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I would imagine that it would have to meet modern regulations for fire safety for a start, so period fitting would be out of the question. James Cameron already made a partial reconstruction for the film with real hand made fittings and that cost $135M just for the partial set (thats his figure for the set only while making titanic).
Old 1st May 2012, 11:08   #18
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Even though it may be a replica, it will still have to comply with SOLAS regulations.

The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) is an international maritime safety treaty. The SOLAS Convention in its successive forms is generally regarded as the most important of all international treaties concerning the safety of merchant ships.

The first version of the treaty was passed in 1914 in response to the sinking of the RMS Titanic. It prescribed numbers of lifeboats and other emergency equipment along with safety procedures, including continuous radio watches.
Newer versions were adopted in 1929, 1948, 1960, and 1974.
The intention had been to keep the convention up to date by periodic amendments, but the procedure to incorporate the amendments proved to be very slow: it could take several years for the amendments to be put into action since countries had to give notice of acceptance to IMO and there was a minimum threshold of countries and tonnage.
As a result, a complete new convention was adopted in 1974 which includes all the agreements and acceptant procedures. Even though the Convention was updated and amended numerous times, the Convention in force today is sometimes referred to as SOLAS, 1974.

So the lifeboat issue will have to comply with modern standards.

In 1870, answering a question at the House of Commons of the United Kingdom about the sinking of PS Normandy, George Shaw-Lefevre said that in the opinion of the Board of Trade, it will not be possible to compel the passenger steamers running between England and France to have boats sufficient for the very numerous passengers they often carry. They would encumber the decks, and rather add to the danger than detract from it.
By the turn of the 20th century larger ships meant more people could travel, but safety rules regarding lifeboats remained out of date: for example, British legislation concerning the number of lifeboats was based on the tonnage of a vessel and only encompassed vessels of "10,000 gross tons and over". It was after the sinking of the RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912, that a movement began to require a sufficient number of lifeboats on passenger ships for all people on board. The Titanic, with a gross tonnage of 46,000 tonnes and carrying 20 lifeboats, met and exceeded the regulations laid down by the Board of Trade, which required a ship of her size (i.e. over 10,000 tons) to carry boats capable of carrying a total of 1,060 people. The Titanic's boats had a capacity of 1,178 people on a ship capable of carrying 3,330 people.
The need for so many more lifeboats on the decks of passenger ships after 1912 led to the use of most of the deck space available even on the large ships, creating the problem of restricted passageways. This was resolved by the introduction of collapsible lifeboats, a number of which (Berthon Boats) had been carried on the Titanic.