Notices

Old 13th March 2020, 22:54   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ8 and class

I got to drive an old Jaguar XJ8 today, not for long and not far but
with their version of a Sandstone interior and mid way between light oak and walnut it felt and like a Rover 75 with walnut and Sandstone looked classy. Get in a new Jaguar, Range Rover, Land Rover BMW x3 or 5 and there is no classy feel to them. They are for me all a bitter disappointment but I really enjoyed the XJ8.
Do "old" cars have more class?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2020, 23:05   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ8 and class

Do old bands have more class?

Do old guitars play better than new ones?

Do our memories make us think that older is better?

We all tend to think that things from the past are better (I was even looking at that VP Maestro on here and thinking that it was nice! Back when they were a few years old you wouldn't have given them a second glance)

Yes the older Jaguars are nice, as are most of the older marques, we all look at things from the past differently.. as they age they take on a special something, does it make them better? I'm not sure but it does make us look at them in a different light...

Last edited by trikey; 13th March 2020 at 23:50..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 07:34   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Do old bands have more class?

Do old guitars play better than new ones?

Do our memories make us think that older is better?

We all tend to think that things from the past are better (I was even looking at that VP Maestro on here and thinking that it was nice! Back when they were a few years old you wouldn't have given them a second glance)

Yes the older Jaguars are nice, as are most of the older marques, we all look at things from the past differently.. as they age they take on a special something, does it make them better? I'm not sure but it does make us look at them in a different light...
I'm not saying the old cars are better as in better performance, electronic aides, road holding etc but take a new car, I see mainly BMW X3 and X5, Land Rover, Jaguar, Range Rover, Mini with some Renault, Honda and Aston Martin thrown in, their interiors do not seem...to me.... as classy.
Range Rover and Aston Martin are prestigious brands in a slightly different way then he others but they don't ooze the class that I think should befit their marque. Most of the brands I see all have the same colour and feel inside. Flitting between Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover there are times when if you ask me what I'd driving, I could not tell you.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 12:45   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Just don't like any modern cars, even the big classy ones. The newest on my fleet is coming up to 12 years old, and there is nothing newer that I fancy. Must be my age!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 22:26   #5
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

The previous Mrs had an XJ40 and followed it with an XJ8. Personally I preferred the straight six but they were both lovely cars to munch miles in as long as you didn't look too closely at the fuel guage. Grace & Pace :¬)
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 10:40   #6
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I have a brand new Jaguar xj50 In the only colour ever made in gardener green, normally you only get four colours on the XJ50 models. However the one i found by accident was a SVO colour from Jaguar cars Castle Bromwich, they took 10 Jaguar xj50s off the production line and painted in ten different colours and put them back on the track and sold them with £10,000 worth of free paint paint to the customers as a celebrational gift to who ever bought them.

The other normal four colours are Loire blue, santini black, fugi white, rosello red, There are no greens, so mine is the only Gardener green XJ50 CAR ever made.

The XJ50 is like the old Jaguar cars suede roof lining and real wood and massaging seats heated and cooled, and just about every gizmo you can have, 20 inch black and silver alloys and TV , etc etc self turning headlamps, you name it its got it.

however is it better than my Rover 75 NO! why because pound for pound the Rover is the better car, the XJ50 is well over £65000, the Rover 75 cost me £20000 at the time.......its better value and thats forgotten these days is value to the pound.

The jaguar is a wonderful car, but you pay for it... what Rover did and in my opinion even at the time MG Rover caption was "in a class of their own" and i find that to be very true.

BMW caption " the ultimate driving machine" IS NOT TRUE
as Jaguar is the drivers cars without doubt to buy and drive.

BUT MG ROVERS caption was very honest to the core

Last edited by Olde faithful; 17th March 2020 at 10:42..
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2020, 13:08   #7
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Aston Martin & Land Rover

My friend has an Aston Martin Vantage and a Range Rover Sport

They are very classy cars indeed. Hand stitched leather in the Aston and the Autobiography Range Rover Sport a few months old.

I got to Drive a new Range Rover Sport on the Land Rover Driving experience day and drove the car from the course back to their centre.

There is no denying they are fabulous to drive. Full of helpful driving aids. To me they look fantastic. Totally beyond my financial means of course!

Very good cars indeed
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2020, 11:13   #8
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Old school cars with real wood and leather timeless classics!
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote