Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2018, 23:01   #1
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Default Android Head unit fitting - A serious disappointment

So I just test fitted an android head unit, and to my amazement, I had the sticking out at the bottom by a MILE issue, which looked totally RUBBISH.

No problem I thought, must be some cables preventing it at the back..

I check this, ER NEGATIVE... OK, so what the hell is going on? I investigate further, and to my surprise the unit is HARD up against the cut out for the stereo in the center console. I ground the tabs to PERFECTION using the dimensions of the width of the original Rover as a guide, and the tabs fitted bang against the flats where the locating screws, so the unit was in as far as it could go.

Even further investigation revealed, that the bottom of the unit where the problem is, was actually hard up against the centre console, meaning no amount of clips or anything else will improve the situation. The bottom of the unit is TOO ***king thick front to back. I just about manage to capture some pictures of the tiny bit of metal sticking out either side, and its hard butted against the sides of the hole. Pressing the bottom firmly, you can see the centre console flex.

I am deeply unhappy about this, as I spent a massive amount of time doing it all like a factory finish, even sourcing nice BMW connectors for the SWC so it was all like a proper plug and play loom.

Are some of the units different dimensions to others? As far as I see it, there is no way around this, but the sticking out at the bottom, and the large gaps either side make me think that it is just not fit for purpose.

Before I lose my damn mind with frustration, can anyone tell me if this is essentially as good as it gets, because if so, I'd rather have the Kenwood back in tbh. Have I just wasted my time, effort and money? If the dash is cut, then the unit is effectively swinging in the hole right? there will be no support for the thing!! Not acceptable. I really need something to actually go right at the moment, things suck, I am ill, the car needs load of jobs, nothing is going right and this is the last straw.

Here are the pics:-

1) Just WTF?

2) Unit hard up against the center console cut out

3)

4)

5)

Pro job on the tabs, to original Hiline specification dimensions wise:-

To add insult to injury, look at the mm perfect fitting on an E46.....

Last edited by T16; 18th January 2018 at 23:39..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 05:42   #2
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Just a thought: when re-fitting the climate control unit, use some washers between the unit and the center console on the top. That will make the top of the climate control unit protrude a bit more thus coming flush with the radio.

Not perfect but less annoying and hardly visible for people not familiar with the car

HTH

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 06:00   #3
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

That’s just how it is, my one is the same so just try not to look at it
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 07:08   #4
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

My Naval 2 sticks out at the bottom. When fitting it a couple of years ago I took it out (no funnies please) three or four times and finally gave up.
Personally I tend to keep my eyes on the road and it bothers me not now.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 08:26   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I was lead to believe these units were OEM factory fit, but I have been told by a few members now that they don't exactly fit. Like you, they have the unit sticking out at the bottom.

I like you purchased a second-hand E46 style unit, I didn't even get as far as fully installing the unit as it was faulty, so I cant give you any pointers to the installation.

In the end I purchased a universal android unit along with the Rover 75 fascia adapter surround, it actually looks factory fit. You are still faced with a snug fit, but the unit does fit in perfectly once the wires are tucked away neatly.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 09:05   #6
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I was lead to believe these units were OEM factory fit, but I have been told by a few members now that they don't exactly fit. Like you, they have the unit sticking out at the bottom.

I like you purchased a second-hand E46 style unit, I didn't even get as far as fully installing the unit as it was faulty, so I cant give you any pointers to the installation.

In the end I purchased a universal android unit along with the Rover 75 fascia adapter surround, it actually looks factory fit. You are still faced with a snug fit, but the unit does fit in perfectly once the wires are tucked away neatly.

In my case it were all the cables at the back that were being awkward, I believe it can be fitted for a flush fit you just need patience.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 09:06   #7
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Has it got the spring clips at the bottom front corners? a lot don't seem to and they make a surprisingly big difference!

I'd still pull it out and put it in the bin myself because this will probably be the first in a series of disappointments.

Edit: I've just had a look and one of the ones in my pile of **** still has the clips, I'll happily put them in the post if yours doesn't have them

Last edited by mystabe; 19th January 2018 at 09:12..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 09:42   #8
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

No,

It does not have the spring clips at the bottom, and I had been trying to source them. However, they would make absolutely zero difference. The issue is that the shape of the hole that every other standard radio fits in just does not work for these Chinese Android units. BMW widescreen, Highline, and all the other standard radios fit without issue.

If you look at the pics, you can see there is nowhere for the clips to make a difference. I am not willing to irreversibly hack my centre console in the hope that some spring clips will sit at exactly the right place to keep the bottom of the unit stable when being pressed.

When the hole is widened or the small little "tabs" of material at the bottom of the hole are removed, there is nothing for a headunit to butt up against to keep it stable, it would be swinging effectively from the top two screws.

This is not satisfactory. I see people have offered advice like "bend your top lugs to make it better" but this is a bodge, not a fitment. Bending the top lugs has the effect of pushing the top of the unit out, making the angle at the bottom less, but in reality its more of an optical illusion than a fix.

The only way around it will be for me to investigate the dimensional differences between this Android unit and the original Single DIN MG Rover fitment. I strongly suspect there is nothing that can be sensibly done other than removing metal and plastic from the back of the unit at the sides to match the two small areas left in the centre console hole. This is a rubbish solution also.

I think I will either sell this unit or seek a refund, and just get a cheap, modern single DIN Kenwood with a USB port on the front. Ive not got the time, energy, and patience to NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- around with nonsense like this.

These units do not fit, they are not fit for purpose, BEWARE.
Old 19th January 2018, 09:44   #9
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Has it got the spring clips at the bottom front corners? a lot don't seem to and they make a surprisingly big difference!

I'd still pull it out and put it in the bin myself because this will probably be the first in a series of disappointments.

Edit: I've just had a look and one of the ones in my pile of **** still has the clips, I'll happily put them in the post if yours doesn't have them
I wish the clips would make a difference. I would have to cut the hole out of the centre console to let the radio sit further in, then pray that the clips are in just the right place to keep it steady as its hanging from the top.

Im willing to bet this is a seriously unlikely prospect!

Just about had enough really.
Old 19th January 2018, 10:04   #10
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

To be honest I never really had that big a problem with this, the Navall 3 was by far the worst for it but the clips mostly sorted it out, it still stuck out a little but you could live with it.

The WinCE and Navall 2 just fitted in as you would hope they would

I have to say I don't miss the constant messing around with them one little bit tbh! Your idea about buying a proper car stereo is the option I'd go for, life is so much less annoying

The problem isn't actually with how far it goes in, more that they swing so the bottom of the facia sticks out - which is why the clips actually work to a fair degree. I tried everything including a bracket at the back but nothing really worked 100%, as soon as you hit the 1st decent pothole out popped the bottom edge again

Last edited by mystabe; 19th January 2018 at 10:17..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote